: Mobil 1 Fans - Stock Up!

C66 Racing
10-20-08, 11:41 PM
AMSOIL released this info to its dealer network late last week. Sorry for the delay but I was at a race in Portland this weekend and didn't have much time to get online.

Looks like its time to stock up if you are a Mobil 1 fan.

"According to the October 15 edition of Jobbers World Online News Brief, selected ExxonMobil synthetic products have been put on allocation effective October 1, 2008. The announcement explained, “ExxonMobil marketers (and direct served customers) were advised that allocation of Mobil 1 lubricants will take effect October 1 as a result of Hurricane Ike causing significant disruptions to supply lines to ExxonMobil Chemical’s (EMC) Beaumont, TX plant.” They went on to state, “According to marketers, the allocation is expected to last several months and impact availability of most Mobil 1 lubricants. Allocations are said to range from 15% to 100% based on lubricant type and package.” The article also implied that if you went to a local store and looked at the retail shelves at lunch time today, you might find the lubricant section slightly less stocked than normal already."
:cheers:

lonestranger
10-21-08, 08:19 AM
AMSOIL released this info to its dealer network late last week. Sorry for the delay but I was at a race in Portland this weekend and didn't have much time to get online.

Looks like its time to stock up if you are a Mobil 1 fan.

"According to the October 15 edition of Jobbers World Online News Brief, selected ExxonMobil synthetic products have been put on allocation effective October 1, 2008. The announcement explained, “ExxonMobil marketers (and direct served customers) were advised that allocation of Mobil 1 lubricants will take effect October 1 as a result of Hurricane Ike causing significant disruptions to supply lines to ExxonMobil Chemical’s (EMC) Beaumont, TX plant.” They went on to state, “According to marketers, the allocation is expected to last several months and impact availability of most Mobil 1 lubricants. Allocations are said to range from 15% to 100% based on lubricant type and package.” The article also implied that if you went to a local store and looked at the retail shelves at lunch time today, you might find the lubricant section slightly less stocked than normal already."

Not less stocked - just significantly more expensive! At Wally World (the cultural center of most small towns:stirpot:), I found that the 5 qt Mobil 1 had jumped from 19 dollars and change, to 26 dollars and change!
Castrol Syntec has remained at 19 dollars and change - Just a thought. Ah the glories of corporate greed!!:halo:

Kurlee Daddee
10-21-08, 09:15 AM
Thank god I just did an oil change on the V. I drive my 85 Toyota 4x4 more often anyways. Dino oil is less expensive for that little 22RE.

BacDoc
10-21-08, 09:53 AM
If Mobil 1 didn't suck I would be worried.

sleepys4
10-21-08, 10:09 AM
Question I know this is not thread but, When changing the oil do you have to replace the rubber washer around the oil drain plug.

stuckey
10-21-08, 10:23 AM
Question I know this is not thread but, When changing the oil do you have to replace the rubber washer around the oil drain plug.

I havent ever changed it unless it was damaged.

nmaier2201
10-21-08, 10:46 AM

So Mobil 1 is going to be out... or mucho dinero.... BacDoc hates it anyways... what are some superior alternatives.. (in your opinion :) )

BacDoc
10-21-08, 11:24 AM
So Mobil 1 is going to be out... or mucho dinero.... BacDoc hates it anyways... what are some superior alternatives.. (in your opinion :) )

It's not as critical as some people think. I was a M1 fanboi for years. Never had a problem with it, although my last car seemed to eat it (see Subaru Legacy GT and Mobil 1 problems). Just use a synthetic, change your oil and filter routinely and you'll be fine.

v10boost
10-21-08, 12:09 PM
there are other sythetic oils. i'm not that worried since I'm not going to keep my car for next million miles.

mikes2nd
10-21-08, 01:30 PM
need to kick in some extra cash.

Is this the Amsoil guys saying Mobile 1 will raise their price? in order to sell more amsoil?

Or is this mobile 1 causing "shortage" and price increase rumors to increase their revenue?

Welcome to the internet

AlmostAV
10-21-08, 02:39 PM
penzoil platinum fully synthetic FTW

JD03Cobra
10-21-08, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info! I ran out and picked up 2 cases of Mobil 1 Synthetic from Costco...31.00 each.

thebigjimsho
10-21-08, 10:21 PM

It's not as critical as some people think. I was a M1 fanboi for years. Never had a problem with it, although my last car seemed to eat it (see Subaru Legacy GT and Mobil 1 problems). Just use a synthetic, change your oil and filter routinely and you'll be fine.Well, it's nice to know I'll be fine using a suckass oil...:cloud9:

Jayrcr3
10-21-08, 10:56 PM
Well, it's nice to know I'll be fine using a suckass oil...:cloud9:

:yeah:

C66 Racing
10-22-08, 12:40 AM
Is this the Amsoil guys saying Mobile 1 will raise their price? in order to sell more amsoil?

Nope, didn't say or mean to imply anything about what retail outlets would do with their price, but price increases don't surprise me. Supply and demand at work. Story hit a Lubes 'n' Grease periodical I subcribe to today. From their article:

"PAO Shortage Squeezes Mobil 1
By George Gill

The continued shutdown of the ExxonMobil Chemical polyalphaolefin (PAO) plant in Beaumont, Texas, has forced ExxonMobil Lubricants and Specialties to institute a sales allocation on a variety of Mobil 1 synthetic lubricants, effective Oct. 1.

“On Sept. 15, ExxonMobil Lubricants and Specialties was notified by our primary polyalphaolefin supplier, ExxonMobil Chemical, that Hurricane Ike had caused significant disruption to production capabilities at their Beaumont, Texas, plant, and to the ability of their suppliers to make deliveries of critical raw materials and services to the site,” the company told customers in a letter obtained by Lube Report. As a result, ExxonMobil Chemical implemented an allocation on sales of PAO base stocks to customers including ExxonMobil itself. “This allocation is expected to last several months,” the letter stated.

According to Lubes’n’Greases magazine, the Beaumont facility is one of the world’s largest PAO plants, with capacity to make 82,000 metric tons per year.

ExxonMobil spokesman Kevin Allexon confirmed yesterday that the PAO plant remains shut down due to the hurricane damage. “We have folks working on the repairs, we’re making good progress, but there’s no timetable for how much longer it will be,” Allexon told Lube Report.

According to the advisory letter, customer liftings are restricted to 100 percent of prior purchases on products such as Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40, 5W-40 and 15W-50 engine oils; on Delvac Synthetic ATF; Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 and 10W-40; and Extended Performance 5W-20, 10W-30 and 15W-50 motor oils. Also at 100 percent allocation is Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.

There is a 65 percent allocation on the brand’s SAE 10W-30, and the allocations drop even further for Mobil 1 0W-20, 0W-30 and 5W-20 oils, to 25 percent. Truck and SUV 5W-30 is also at 25 percent allocation. The tightest allocations are those in force for Mobil 1 5W-30 (20 percent) and EP 5W-30 (15 percent).

In the letter, ExxonMobil explains that a product on 100 percent allocation means a customer can continue to purchase it at the customer’s average 2008 purchase levels. Volumes for the allocation are based on a customer's average monthly purchases from January to August 2008.

A Midwestern distributor that buys several truckloads of Mobil 1 synthetics a year said it had seen a lengthy delay in receiving shipments. “We placed orders back in late July and August, and we were told if we were lucky, we might see it in December,” the source told Lube Report. “It’s affecting our customers. The good thing for us is we do have other alternative brands. Somebody who's just a Mobil guy can run into problems when they don't have any synthetic alternatives.”

A Southern distributor said the PAO shortage in the market in general is impacting more than just Mobil 1. “With PAOs in general, that supply was messed up before Ike – all that did was further mess it up,” this source said. “The PAO shortage is not just confined to Mobil 1, it’s confined also to any kind of industrial oil that’s made with PAOs.”

CIWS
10-22-08, 07:52 AM
I thought AMSoil 100% synthetic motor oil was also a PAO based, Group IV, is it not ?

lollygagger8
10-22-08, 09:02 AM
Mobil 1 was $26/5 gallon jug at Wally World last night....and they only had ONE jug. Had to buy two extra quarts at $6 and some change per quart.

CIWS
10-22-08, 06:04 PM
Mobil 1 was $26/5 gallon jug at Wally World last night....and they only had ONE jug. Had to buy two extra quarts at $6 and some change per quart.

I got two 5 gallon jugs at Wally World today, 26.00 each. :)

MauiV
10-22-08, 10:51 PM
I was in Advance today picking up oil, filter and o-ring for the Jeep and they were out of all sizes of Mobile 1 5W-30.

C66 Racing
10-22-08, 11:49 PM
I thought AMSoil 100% synthetic motor oil was also a PAO based, Group IV, is it not ?

It is, but there are other PAO suppliers out there and AMSOIL's volume is small compared to Mobil's. But, AMSOIL has cautioned us that if this downtime continues, it may have broader impact, including AMSOIL. Personally, I've got about a three year supply in my garage... so I'm good. :lol:

As for Advance being out of Mobil 1 5w30, if you check near the end of the above pasted Lubes 'n' Greases article, you'll note that the 5w30 grades are hardest hit with a 20% allocation. I think that probably implies that the either the 5w30 grades use the highest proportion of PAO in their basestock, and/or they are the highest volume.

CIWS
10-23-08, 07:23 AM
It is, but there are other PAO suppliers out there and AMSOIL's volume is small compared to Mobil's. But, AMSOIL has cautioned us that if this downtime continues, it may have broader impact, including AMSOIL. Personally, I've got about a three year supply in my garage... so I'm good. :lol:

:D

I've got enough now to cover me thru two oil changes. That's worth about 20K miles, so I should be safe for the next year.

lollygagger8
10-23-08, 09:36 AM
Guess I'll go stock up with some mo' oil then!

Feffman
10-23-08, 11:00 AM
Hi All:

As an option to M1, try synthetic Total Quartz Future 9000 5W-30. You can buy it at the Performance Oil Store (www.PerformanceOilStore.com) with a case discount and if you e-mail me at Feffman@MVPTrackTime.com I can send you MVP Track Time's discount as well.

Feff

CIWS
10-27-08, 05:19 PM
Went by Sam's Club today and they had multiple cases (6 1-quart bottles) of 5W-30 for 31.47. That's 5.25 a quart in the individual bottle. :)

GMBOUND
10-30-08, 08:06 PM
Man, you wasn't lying. I went to Sam's off of Hall road and they had Mobil 1 but it was 5W-20 & 10W-30, no 5W-30!
I'm going to try another Sam's after work.
I waited to late!

C66 Racing
10-30-08, 10:45 PM
Man, you wasn't lying. I went to Sam's off of Hall road and they had Mobil 1 but it was 5W-20 & 10W-30, no 5W-30!
I waited to late!

From reading the other guys responses, looks like there is still some out there, but I suspect it will get harder and harder to get. I read an update from Lubes 'n' Greases this week that indicated the plant will be down until the end of the year. Ouch.

CIWS
10-31-08, 08:50 AM
I waited to late!

Sam's moves a lot of stock. I went by the same store the week before and they had no Mobil 1 products. at all When I went back to get other things last Monday and checked they were fully restocked on all their Mobil 1. But like C66 says, I'm betting it gets harder as time goes on and warehouse stocks deplete.

2004ctsv
10-31-08, 11:11 AM
I went to Advance Auto Parts yesterday
They still have full shelves of Mobil1 and are still running the $25.99 special for 5 qts and a Mobil1 filter.
I bought two - one for the V and the other for my G35

I'm good until next summer

rekctsv
11-01-08, 12:29 AM
And to think Exxon just announced $14.83 billion in earnings for quarter 3, I think a new record for any oil company.

Supply and demand is a beautiful thing for some I guess. If you can't supply enough to meet demand, just triple your profit margin.

GMBOUND
11-01-08, 12:03 PM
Yep, I stopped by another Sam's off of Gratiot and they had not Mobil 1 at all!

rand49er
11-01-08, 02:31 PM
And to think Exxon just announced $14.83 billion in earnings for quarter 3, I think a new record for any oil company.

Supply and demand is a beautiful thing for some I guess. If you can't supply enough to meet demand, just triple your profit margin.I think they also paid a huge chunk in (multi-billions) in taxes, too. God only knows where the money goes then.