: Water pump tensioner catastrophic failure?

JSMeloche
10-20-08, 11:04 AM
Couple of months ago I noticed some squeeking on the Water pump side of the engine, like a bad bearing. I had my mechanic look at it, he said it could be the water pump, but there is no reason to replace it if its not leaking.

So yesterday, I drive to work, nice open road, so I decide to have a bit of fun. I pull up in the parking lot and "Engine overheating, idle engine" messages comes up... Open up the hood. I hear the pressure tank bubbling.... I say to myself:thats it... I blew up the darn head gasket, my old Caddy is dead.

Then I look at the water pump, the belt is off, the tensionner pully is broken off and the bearing is nowhere to be found!!!! The bearing exploded!

So, I replaced the pulley, and belt at the same time. No biggy.

Moral of the story, be careful about the water pump pulley bearing. If they squeek, look at them! I searched the forum and it seems im not the first one with an exploded bearing.

Ranger
10-20-08, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I guess in hind sight when the bearing is squeaking it's actually crying out for help.

JSMeloche
10-20-08, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I guess in hind sight when the bearing is squeaking it's actually crying out for help.

Ive seen them seize, woble, crack. But rarely seen an exploded bearing!

Submariner409
10-20-08, 04:56 PM
We had one in here, two months ago, where the tensioner seized, the belt heated up and melted the cam driver pulley. Anything is possible with a tensioner/idler system. It's a great idea, but that tensioner/idler spins at some ferocious speed, just like alternators and water pumps, with only the grease that went in there in The Dark Ages (?). It's a wonder any of them last even 25,000 miles..........

JSMeloche
10-20-08, 05:12 PM
We had one in here, two months ago, where the tensioner seized, the belt heated up and melted the cam driver pulley. Anything is possible with a tensioner/idler system. It's a great idea, but that tensioner/idler spins at some ferocious speed, just like alternators and water pumps, with only the grease that went in there in The Dark Ages (?). It's a wonder any of them last even 25,000 miles..........

Im pretty sure mine was original! 150,000 miles on it.