: Stalling Catera

AwfulSmokey
10-20-08, 10:51 AM
My 99 Catera has always had an " attitude " with me. About a year ago my car stalled and wouldn't even turn over when restarting. It happened randomly over the year. The car would stall and you would get nothing until it dropped below the middle line of the water temp. It always started when dropping below the line. I assumed it was the starter. The past few months it has changed and have been trying to get to the bottom of it.

Now it will randomly stall more often. But now it will turn over but not start. It always starts when it cools off and runs normally. It gives no warning it just pfttts and stalls. No noises. It will not restart until it cools off.

I am in need of a new ebtcm and will be changing it soon. This kind of sounds like the camshaft position sensor to me, but i am not sure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

AwfulSmokey
10-20-08, 12:42 PM
i meant to say crankshaft position sensor.

elvin315
10-20-08, 02:02 PM
The Crankshaft Position Sensor will cause the engine to quit and allow starting after a cooling period. Read the sticky thread re: "Known Problems" for more on the CPS. It's a relatively cheap and easy repair as Catera fixes go. Even if it isn't the true problem it fails often so consider it insurance.

frank moran
10-20-08, 05:01 PM
I agree with Elvin, the stalling sounds like the CPS. Regarding the no crank problem, I would look closly at the positive battery cable, my experince was high resistance in the cable lug itself. It looked good but had a .6 voltage drop and was hot as hell to the touch. Bottom line , high resistance that aslo contributes to a poorly charged battery. The alt was working like hell to push current through the cable.....

My 99 Catera has always had an " attitude " with me. About a year ago my car stalled and wouldn't even turn over when restarting. It happened randomly over the year. The car would stall and you would get nothing until it dropped below the middle line of the water temp. It always started when dropping below the line. I assumed it was the starter. The past few months it has changed and have been trying to get to the bottom of it.

Now it will randomly stall more often. But now it will turn over but not start. It always starts when it cools off and runs normally. It gives no warning it just pfttts and stalls. No noises. It will not restart until it cools off.

I am in need of a new ebtcm and will be changing it soon. This kind of sounds like the camshaft position sensor to me, but i am not sure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Southern-Hospitality
10-20-08, 10:26 PM
This will cost you about $250 at a good mechanic.

Anytime it stalls, leave the key in the on position for ten minutes. It'll put the car in safe mode (2nd gear) and it will run for a little while. Get it fixed it becomes a real bitch later on.

rruff98
11-15-12, 07:35 PM
yea mine will start up and stall right away will crank position sensor cause it? thannks

kaustein
11-15-12, 10:59 PM
Happened to me CPS. However only a $140 fix and that was at the Caddy dealer.

rruff98
11-16-12, 01:29 AM
is this for my issue? i mean it will start and not hold the rpm and stall right away?

kaustein
11-16-12, 08:22 AM
is this for my issue? i mean it will start and not hold the rpm and stall right away?

Sounds symptomatic of CPS issues