: I havent had my V in two months!!

Dorrien
10-20-08, 10:17 AM
Im new to the board..well i have been here lurking for months :thepan: but i was rear ended at a traffic light in Manassas Va on highway 29 and I should have her back at the end of the month or later, shes been gone since sept 4

anyway here she is, before and after

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/March1208279.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/March1208280-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/March1208283.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics001-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics002-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dorrien/newpics008.jpg

as it stands now, 15,000 dollars worth of damage and the had to weld half of my car back together:helpless:

jnrandall
10-20-08, 10:38 AM
Yikes, that awful. I kinda know how you feel. I was parked and got side swiped by a schoolbus 5 days after picking up my new V.

SkullV
10-20-08, 11:07 AM
as it stands now, 15,000 dollars worth of damage and the had to weld half of my car back together:helpless:

I would have demanded that the insurance company total the car.

perfect
10-20-08, 11:08 AM
that SUCKS!!!

I can't believe that they are doing all that work to bring your V back to it's (somewhat) old self. Hopefully everything drives good and there are no problems.

What is that shiny object on the driver's side top grill?

Dorrien
10-20-08, 11:14 AM
that SUCKS!!!

I can't believe that they are doing all that work to bring your V back to it's (somewhat) old self. Hopefully everything drives good and there are no problems.

What is that shiny object on the driver's side top grill?

its a cadillac heritage emblem, it was on there when i bought it, i meant to look it up to see exactly waht it was..i just never removed it.

Dorrien
10-20-08, 11:16 AM
I would have demanded that the insurance company total the car.

yeah i brought that up but they said it was fixable because it was "cosmetic" now im trying to get the depreciated value added to my claim, i only have 34,000 miles on it and was gonna sell it if i wanted to get the new V but i dont think thats gonna be happening now

BacDoc
10-20-08, 11:23 AM
No way I would take that back. What part of cutting the entire trunk to the frame out is cosmetic?

Dorrien
10-20-08, 11:39 AM
No way I would take that back. What part of cutting the entire trunk to the frame out is cosmetic?

it was actually more than that they had to cut all the way up the quarter panel.

BacDoc
10-20-08, 11:47 AM
No way. I would fight my insurance company to the death. Squeaks, rattles, ... car will never be the same.

How fast was the other car going that hit you?

Dorrien
10-20-08, 11:55 AM
No way. I would fight my insurance company to the death. Squeaks, rattles, ... car will never be the same.

How fast was the other car going that hit you?

not sure, i was at a traffic light and he said he was too busy staring at my car and forgot to hit brakes, speed limit was 45 there. of course his lexus truck barely had any damage. once its done well see, since my insurance company is paying everything and getting reimbursed from his who knows how it will turn out.

smoothq
10-20-08, 12:04 PM
I believe those quarter panels are $1500 per panel alone. I feel bad and I would want to total that car out so you can then buy it back and build it up with some awesome mods.

supernova_inc
10-20-08, 12:56 PM
Not sure if any of this helps but I work in a body shop. I am sitting at my desk right now looking at a accord with more rear body and floor damage than your car. Whether the car is a total or not is normally not something the insurance company will budge on. If the estimate plus a "salvage value"(generally 25% of the vehicle value depending on the hit) are higher than the vehicles value then it would be a total. Unless there is some safety risk like a diamond in a unibody vehicle(like ours) or cowl/firewall sway, then I would doubt they would total it. If you are going though the persons insurance that hit the back end then I would pursue some dimminishement of value claim though. Once the repairs are set and done, if the vehicle has bad squeeks and creeks then sell it and go for another if that is an option. I have been in the industry for over 6 years and worked on both the insurance and the shop side. I have only had two people successfully get an insurance to agree to total when the above two ways didn't apply in those years

As for the repair, I would make sure they do a 4-wheel alignment after all the body work is set and done. Either in house(at the shop) or sublet before you pick up the vehicle. I would also request to go on a test drive when the shop tells you it is all set and done. They should comply but will go with you and hold the key until you finalize the paperwork. From those photos, about 15k sounds right for doing a proper job. The rear center crossmember appears to be cut out in those photos and those rails have to have some sort of repair I would hope, less they are sectioning them out.

If you don't mind me asking is it an insurance direct repair or just a shop of your choice where the insurance comes out to approve any supps after the shop called it in? The reason being is you want to make sure both the insurance company and the shop you are working with warranty the work for lifetime. When you do pick the car up I would keep a little notepad in the vehicle with you if you plan on keeping the car. Anytime you notice anything out of the ordinary jot it down. When you think you have everything noted that you have issues with then go back to the shop. I would ideally like to say everything will be perfect 100% of the time but noone is perfect. Coming from the shops side I tell every customer to do this with large repairs (8k+), as the owner will notice things that drive them crazy and me working at the shop hate to see people come back every other day. I would rather address any issues a customer has all at once if any happen to come up.

One last thing, with a new quarter panel I would definitly ask the shop if they are blending the roof rails. This is the area up above the doors that stretches all the way to the front of the windshield. If they don't then they are melting the clearcoat somewhere in the C pillar and that is a prime area for paint failure in the coming year.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I deal with these repairs 5 days a week.

supernova_inc
10-20-08, 01:11 PM
Rearding the rest of the posts below I see you are going through your insurance first then they will work out subrogation. I would definitly ask if you can get your deductible reimburcement up front from the other carrier, so you wont have any out of pocket expense at pickup.

groverdill
10-20-08, 02:53 PM
Ouch! I really feel bad for you and your poor car.

Dorrien
10-21-08, 09:01 AM
Not sure if any of this helps but I work in a body shop. I am sitting at my desk right now looking at a accord with more rear body and floor damage than your car. Whether the car is a total or not is normally not something the insurance company will budge on. If the estimate plus a "salvage value"(generally 25% of the vehicle value depending on the hit) are higher than the vehicles value then it would be a total. Unless there is some safety risk like a diamond in a unibody vehicle(like ours) or cowl/firewall sway, then I would doubt they would total it. If you are going though the persons insurance that hit the back end then I would pursue some dimminishement of value claim though. Once the repairs are set and done, if the vehicle has bad squeeks and creeks then sell it and go for another if that is an option. I have been in the industry for over 6 years and worked on both the insurance and the shop side. I have only had two people successfully get an insurance to agree to total when the above two ways didn't apply in those years

As for the repair, I would make sure they do a 4-wheel alignment after all the body work is set and done. Either in house(at the shop) or sublet before you pick up the vehicle. I would also request to go on a test drive when the shop tells you it is all set and done. They should comply but will go with you and hold the key until you finalize the paperwork. From those photos, about 15k sounds right for doing a proper job. The rear center crossmember appears to be cut out in those photos and those rails have to have some sort of repair I would hope, less they are sectioning them out.

If you don't mind me asking is it an insurance direct repair or just a shop of your choice where the insurance comes out to approve any supps after the shop called it in? The reason being is you want to make sure both the insurance company and the shop you are working with warranty the work for lifetime. When you do pick the car up I would keep a little notepad in the vehicle with you if you plan on keeping the car. Anytime you notice anything out of the ordinary jot it down. When you think you have everything noted that you have issues with then go back to the shop. I would ideally like to say everything will be perfect 100% of the time but noone is perfect. Coming from the shops side I tell every customer to do this with large repairs (8k+), as the owner will notice things that drive them crazy and me working at the shop hate to see people come back every other day. I would rather address any issues a customer has all at once if any happen to come up.

One last thing, with a new quarter panel I would definitly ask the shop if they are blending the roof rails. This is the area up above the doors that stretches all the way to the front of the windshield. If they don't then they are melting the clearcoat somewhere in the C pillar and that is a prime area for paint failure in the coming year.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I deal with these repairs 5 days a week.

Thanks for the information. To answer your questions, yes it is a direct fix. It is at Craftsman Auto body here in Gainesville and it is an approved repair shop for both of our insurance companies. Yes, they are blending all the way to the front windshield and the are doind an alignment. I have been by there every friday since the accident to check it out, one week it was on a rack with lazers underneath it and the guy told me it was making sure everything is level, and some other information he said it was doing. he told me i wont even notice any difference and their repairs are for the life of the car.

i asked the guys insurance (Hanover Insurance) about a diminished value claim and they said they are not sure if they do that..I was like well you are going to have to because somebody is giving me the money back..if they come back and say no, I will go through mine (USAA) and see if they will do it.

supernova_inc
10-21-08, 11:04 AM
"Thanks for the information. To answer your questions, yes it is a direct fix. It is at Craftsman Auto body here in Gainesville and it is an approved repair shop for both of our insurance companies. Yes, they are blending all the way to the front windshield and the are doind an alignment. I have been by there every friday since the accident to check it out, one week it was on a rack with lazers underneath it and the guy told me it was making sure everything is level, and some other information he said it was doing. he told me i wont even notice any difference and their repairs are for the life of the car.

i asked the guys insurance (Hanover Insurance) about a diminished value claim and they said they are not sure if they do that..I was like well you are going to have to because somebody is giving me the money back..if they come back and say no, I will go through mine (USAA) and see if they will do it. "

Those things are good to hear. Direct repair is normally the most efficient way to go and you get both the insurance company's word and the shops, with regard to quality and warranty. On the dimm value, your insurance company most likely has specific policy language prohibiting 1st part(thats you to your insurance company) dim value claims. I would definitly seek it out through the other carrier. You may have to work for it though by providing documentation or a write up on dim value.

With the lasers, they were doing a set-up and measure, then probably some frame and body pulls. In short terms they were pulling all the bent metal back into shape before cutting it all off. It relieves the stress in the metal and is definitly required in a hit like yours judging from the pics. The holes on the passenger quarter are probably one pull location, the rear body that has since been cut off was the second. It seems like the shop you are working with is pretty open and all which is nice to see. If those pics were current then they probably have another 3ish weeks to go. Anyways, sorry for my ramble.

hXc95SLS
10-23-08, 11:52 AM
Ouch man that suck but while she is like that throw the rear mount turbos in there ahahahah

Dorrien
11-13-08, 08:56 AM
ok I finally got her back thank God :bouncy: cosmetically i cant even tell my car was split down the middle. but while driving something seems a little off..but im not sure what it is..it maybe because i have been driving a yukon xl for the past 2 months and am not used to my V anymore?? I also notice wheel hop and i will need to inform the other insurance company this has never happened before :shhh: and there has to be some kit that will remedy this :hmm:

anyway while dealing with the other insurance company i tried to get a diminished value claim started. so i forwarded all the paperwork and they approved it for 1500.00 :rant2: they said because they used all new parts its like i have a brand new car. well when i looked over the invoice, hardly no new parts were used and i know for a fact that no one not even a dealer or private party would take my V for Blue book or anywhere near it once the Carfax was brought up. They told me thats not true, they will and dont worry about it :lies: so i promptly informed them i would be getting another lawyer to pursue this claim and i am sending the measly 1500.00 check back. come on 1500 for an 05 with 32,000 miles on it and no previous accidents!!!! yall seen the pics. so now i have a medical lawyer and a diminished value claim lawyer. well see how this turns out

pveomett
11-13-08, 09:23 AM
Im new to the board..well i have been here lurking for months :thepan: but i was rear ended at a traffic light in Manassas Va on highway 29 and I should have her back at the end of the month or later, shes been gone since sept 4

Speaking of Manassas Va.... John Wayne Bobbitt is on Howard Stern right now...:cool2:

Anyways, I'm glad you got your V back on the road... Post up some pics! Hopefully you get all the legal stuff worked out.

Cowan480
11-13-08, 10:04 AM
You should have did a complete rebuild while you were in there.. 1000rwhp

Cowan480
11-13-08, 10:06 AM
You should have done a complete rebuild while you were in there.. 1000rwhp:lildevil:

dukie1993
11-13-08, 10:32 AM
Go to Car Max for a purchase offer.

I took my Mustang there years after a much more minor rear end collision than that one and they told me they couldn't sell my car in the showroom because it had frame damage from replacing a quarter panel. They bought my car anyway to sell at auction for a reduced price from minimum blue book. You can use their offer as leverage for your diminished value claim.

martinV
11-13-08, 07:17 PM
really sorry about the car. I got hit by some old granny who ran a light, so i know how you feel. i love my V and ill just have to deal with the process to get it the way it was, i def dont want to sell it.