: Another "Vintage" Audio thread...

Playdrv4me
10-19-08, 09:11 PM
Well, if you can call the late '80s "vintage" anyway...

I had been looking for a nice 2 channel setup to use with my laptop for music for a while, slowly gaining interest in the insanely high quality stuff from the late '80s and early '90s since I remember admiring alot of it when I was younger.

So a few days ago one of my roommates decided he was going to start liquidating all his old stuff, and he's had some nice Sony separates for a while he had not been using. We talked about it and worked out a trade for a nice laptop I had, probably worth a good 400 bucks, and the rest is history.

Now I am the proud new owner of these:

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/11560-2/ES+Audio+008.jpg

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/11564-2/ES+Audio+009.jpg

*Sony TA-N77ES 600W Amp (200W P/CH at 8 ohm).

*Sony 1000ESD Digital Signal Processing Pre-Amp

*Sony 730ES AM/FM Digital PLL Synthesized Tuner (not pictured, didn't have room for it).

*Pair of Acoustic Research Phantom 6.2 Towers with Illusion Drivers (same speaker technology in the 98 and later STS)

*Custom sub he built with an Optimus case, and a Pioneer Amplifier dedicated exclusively to power the sub alone, along with a crossover.

Overall I have to say I am quite pleased with the setup. The speakers have amazing clarity and midrange even though they aren't a terribly well known brand or model, and the power from this amp is ENDLESS and clean. The amp is very very nice. The Digital pre-amp is a take it or leave it piece from circa 1991, when ALL the rage was everything DIGITAL. As a result, the music goes through an A/D converter, and then BACK to Analog before it exits the unit, since the pre-amp has all kinds of soundstage settings, reverb and room customization. The later 2000ES actually took all of that away. Either way, it performs well.

The sub and its amp are nothing to write home about, but until I can bring my Velodyne CHT-12 up at some point they will definitely do the job. If I end up keeping the Pioneer amp I may use that as a headphone amp later.

For being close to 20 years old, this gear is in great shape. Hope it continues to perform well.

slk230mb
10-19-08, 09:14 PM
Well, if you can call the late '80s "vintage" anyway...

I had been looking for a nice 2 channel setup to use with my laptop for music for a while, slowly gaining interest in the insanely high quality stuff from the late '80s and early '90s since I remember admiring alot of it when I was younger.

So a few days ago one of my roommates decided he was going to start liquidating all his old stuff, and he's had some nice Sony separates for a while he had not been using. We talked about it and worked out a trade for a nice laptop I had, probably worth a good 400 bucks, and the rest is history.

Now I am the proud new owner of these:

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/11560-2/ES+Audio+008.jpg

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/11564-2/ES+Audio+009.jpg

*Sony TA-N77ES 600W Amp (200W P/CH at 8 ohm).

*Sony 1000ESD Digital Signal Processing Pre-Amp

*Sony 730ES AM/FM Digital PLL Synthesized Tuner (not pictured, didn't have room for it).

*Pair of Acoustic Research Phantom 6.2 Towers with Illusion Drivers (same speaker technology in the 98 and later STS)

*Custom sub he built with an Optimus case, and a Pioneer Amplifier dedicated exclusively to power the sub alone, along with a crossover.

Overall I have to say I am quite pleased with the setup. The speakers have amazing clarity and midrange even though they aren't a terribly well known brand or model, and the power from this amp is ENDLESS and clean. The amp is very very nice. The Digital pre-amp is a take it or leave it piece from circa 1991, when ALL the rage was everything DIGITAL. As a result, the music goes through an A/D converter, and then BACK to Analog before it exits the unit, since the pre-amp has all kinds of soundstage settings, reverb and room customization. The later 2000ES actually took all of that away. Either way, I like it just fine.

The sub and amp are nothing to write home about, but until I can bring my Velodyne CHT-12 up at some point they will definitely do the job. If I end up keeping the Pioneer amp I may use that as a headphone amp later.

I have a Sony 1000ESD Digital Signal Processing Pre-Amp sitting in my basement. I wouldn't even know what amp/speakers to hook it up to.

Playdrv4me
10-19-08, 09:20 PM
I have a Sony 1000ESD Digital Signal Processing Pre-Amp sitting in my basement. I wouldn't even know what amp/speakers to hook it up to.

Well, since it is a pre-amp you can not hook it up to speakers directly. I'm sure if you dig around the basement there's also an amp (maybe even the same one I have) that goes with it. The Sony just has line-outs that are designed to output to a full amplifier.

Lesser quality amps integrate everything in one box, which is what you typically see at Best Buy etc... But you supposedly get much better quality audio if you keep the components separate.

ejguillot
10-19-08, 11:11 PM
A very nice setup! You might try finding a different preamp to experiment, see if a straight analog path might get you better sound.

Night Wolf
10-20-08, 03:29 PM
Pfft, thats not vintage... in the home audio world, vintage solid state would be the 70's stuff and older.... for tubes though, 70's isn't vintage.

Glad you enjoy it :)

slk230mb
10-20-08, 10:19 PM
Well, since it is a pre-amp you can not hook it up to speakers directly. I'm sure if you dig around the basement there's also an amp (maybe even the same one I have) that goes with it. The Sony just has line-outs that are designed to output to a full amplifier.

Lesser quality amps integrate everything in one box, which is what you typically see at Best Buy etc... But you supposedly get much better quality audio if you keep the components separate.

My dad and I are 99% sure we junked them when we moved into this house in 1997. He vaguely recalls them being broken and there being no point to have them repaired.