: Recaro Seats

bsteven43
10-19-08, 12:55 AM
Well, you guys who have followed the develoopments better than I have probably anticipated the cost of the Recaro seat option. I on the hand, did not. Something north of $3K? I"m going to have a really hard time spending that kind of money these seats considering its my daily driver and will almost never see track time and also without seeing them. Anyone aware of any reviews or other comments about the quality of the standard seats? I'm moderately happy with the seats in my '06 V. Thoughts?

mkaresh
10-19-08, 01:01 AM
The standard seats are the same as those in the regular CTS, just with synthetic suede center panels. Reviews state that they provide insufficient lateral support for the V, and I agree.

I've sat in the Recaros, and they provide must better lateral support, with adjustable bolsters, and are also more comfortable IMO. You can only get ventilated seats in the V with the Recaros.

They will be $3,400 based on the price list I've seen, though.

Varsity
10-19-08, 07:39 AM
Is it a case of the Recaro seats come with the heating and cooling as an extra the regular seats don't? So your not just paying for the seat but the extras they come with.

Should be like the RS4 was, to have the sports seats was FOC and std and if you wanted the bigger, wider more comfortable seats this was a no cost option.

IMO its what the car is all about so the Recaros are a must have.

mkaresh
10-20-08, 02:30 AM
Standard isn't the same as free.

To get the price before GGT under 60...

That said, $3,400 does seem a bit steep, even if ventilation and metal pedals are included.

Another note: you need these seats in order to pay another $300 for the microfiber steering wheel and shifter.

CIWS
10-20-08, 09:54 AM
Not everyone is going to want them. Then current Vs don't offer them and although the hard core course drivers need/want a better supporting seat in the car, the "average" driver of the Vs seem to do Ok without them. Personally I would pay to get them on my 09V, but that's me.

BigFred
10-21-08, 01:41 AM
At $3,400 they are no longer the no brainer I thought they would be. Almost all of the reviews mentioned the seats as worth getting, but they didn't know how much they cost :bonkers:

Varsity
10-21-08, 05:06 AM
If you want comfort buy a CTS 3.6 and be comfortable!

tedcmiller
10-23-08, 10:55 AM
My dealer ordered the Recaro seat option on my 2009 CTS-V, but I cancelled the option. The standard seats have the suede inserts just like the 2004-2007 CTS-Vs. I don't do track stuff. I also cancelled the option that provides a suede insert in the steering wheel cover. The standard steering wheel cover is fine for me.

mkaresh
10-23-08, 11:23 AM
GM's order guide says you need the Recaros to get the optional steering wheel. So you probably had to cancel the wheel if you canceled the seats, unless there's a way around the system.

NormV
10-23-08, 05:15 PM
For $3400 I'd take a base CTS to my favorite apolster/leatherman. Better than any of the barbed wire gouge leather that GM has used in the last 15 + years.

JEM
10-23-08, 05:51 PM
I think those of you who buy the car without them are going to be unhappy you did.

Dr Chill
10-23-08, 08:50 PM
I think those of you who buy the car without them are going to be unhappy you did.

I agree. These seats define this car. The standard seats are the single thing I'd like to upgrade in my 3.6 DI CTS. After coming from the AMG E55 seats, these are a major letdown.

ABSOLUTELY GET THE SEATS. YOUR ASS AND BACK WILL THANK YOU EVERY TIME YOU GET BEHIND THE WHEEL. Omit the nav if you want to shed unnecessary dollars since the onstar directions work flawlessly.

mkaresh
10-24-08, 01:09 AM
For $3400 I'd take a base CTS to my favorite apolster/leatherman. Better than any of the barbed wire gouge leather that GM has used in the last 15 + years.

You're not paying for leather--it might be the same stuff that's on the standard seats. Instead, you're paying for the power-adjustable bolsters and cooling.

The price is crazy high. BMW charges about $900 for a similar sport seat in its 3-Series Sport Package. Figure another $600 for the ventilation, and you're still far from $3,400. Then again, the BMW seats don't have the Recaro brand name (but the excellent seats in the Audi S4 do).

JEM
10-24-08, 01:52 AM
The price is crazy high. BMW charges about $900 for a similar sport seat in its 3-Series Sport Package. Figure another $600 for the ventilation, and you're still far from $3,400. Then again, the BMW seats don't have the Recaro brand name (but the excellent seats in the Audi S4 do).

Part of the issue, of course, is that there's orders of magnitude greater difference between the cost of a base CTS seat and the V's Recaros than there is between a BMW base seat and the BMW sport seats.

When the first-gen CTS came out, the first one I looked at was parked right next to a Saab 9-5 Aero. There was more money in one Saab seat than in the entire CTS interior.

The other part of it, too, is that Cadillac figures that people are going to want them and they're pricing them at a level that lets them make real money off of them. Judging by what Tony's had to say about the number of early orders with them leading to supply constraints it appears they're right.

I guess my view is this, based on experience with half a dozen sets of Recaro and similar OE sport seats: if you're bigger than a 34 waist, you might want to find one to try out first, and if you're a 38 you're probably going to be happier with the base seats. Otherwise, if you're skinny-to-the-narrow-side-of-average, you're going to want them for sure.

The seats in my M5 (and in my wife's 540i) were a bit snug (but still better than the base BMW seats with their too-short lower cushion) when I was a 36-plus; now that I'm a 32 waist they're loose.

Now, the aftermarket Recaro SRDs that are going in my wife's '65 Mustang convertible are pretty snug even with the reduced-fat ass.

mkaresh
10-24-08, 02:07 AM
The base BMW seats aren't that hot IMO.

One thing in the Recaros and in the sport seats in the 3-Series and the Infiniti G37 is that the bolsters are power-adjustable. So they're a little more adaptable to different size people than a regular sport seat. I'm a big fan of this feature, because it's the only way they can make a seat that'll fit me well without sqeezing out larger people.

tedcmiller
10-24-08, 09:27 AM
mkaresh,
I don't know whether you are correct or not, but the suede insert option for the steering wheel had a separate order code from the Recaro seat option and was listed separately along with the other other codes. The salesman sent me a copy of the order form sent to GM which had all of the order codes for the car, but no prices or costs. This was about two weeks ago, and I was informed by the salesman that the sales manager took care of altering the order. I also had them delete the sun roof option which I had clearly indicated that I did not want from the very beginning.

Cadillac Tony
10-24-08, 10:17 AM
Ted,

If your order was at 3000 or later status, the TPW date will get moved back about one week as a result of editing the order. Just FYI.

mkaresh
10-24-08, 02:40 PM
mkaresh,
I don't know whether you are correct or not, but the suede insert option for the steering wheel had a separate order code from the Recaro seat option and was listed separately along with the other other codes. The salesman sent me a copy of the order form sent to GM which had all of the order codes for the car, but no prices or costs. This was about two weeks ago, and I was informed by the salesman that the sales manager took care of altering the order. I also had them delete the sun roof option which I had clearly indicated that I did not want from the very beginning.

They're definitely separate options. But sometimes to get one option you must order another option.

tedcmiller
10-24-08, 02:47 PM
I, unfortunately, don't have the order in front of me to look for a status number (I do not know what that is), and I also don't know what a TPW is. In any case, another week added to my delivery wouldn't matter to me.

Cadillac Tony
10-24-08, 05:37 PM
Sorry Ted- I get so used to flinging around my jargon at work, I forget that not everyone speaks Salesman. :D

TPW is the slang for "Targeted Production Week". If an order is at the preliminary stage we can edit it all we want, but once it moves to "Accepted by GM" (3000), any changes made cause the order to get removed, then resubmitted.

BigFred
10-25-08, 03:07 AM
Part of the issue, of course, is that there's orders of magnitude greater difference between the cost of a base CTS seat and the V's Recaros than there is between a BMW base seat and the BMW sport seats.

When the first-gen CTS came out, the first one I looked at was parked right next to a Saab 9-5 Aero. There was more money in one Saab seat than in the entire CTS interior.

The other part of it, too, is that Cadillac figures that people are going to want them and they're pricing them at a level that lets them make real money off of them. Judging by what Tony's had to say about the number of early orders with them leading to supply constraints it appears they're right.

I guess my view is this, based on experience with half a dozen sets of Recaro and similar OE sport seats: if you're bigger than a 34 waist, you might want to find one to try out first, and if you're a 38 you're probably going to be happier with the base seats. Otherwise, if you're skinny-to-the-narrow-side-of-average, you're going to want them for sure.

The seats in my M5 (and in my wife's 540i) were a bit snug (but still better than the base BMW seats with their too-short lower cushion) when I was a 36-plus; now that I'm a 32 waist they're loose.

Now, the aftermarket Recaro SRDs that are going in my wife's '65 Mustang convertible are pretty snug even with the reduced-fat ass.

That's good advice JEM. I'm average in the seat and it seems I barely fit in the Jag XJR seats. Made me think a bigger rump wouldn't enjoy it. This probably goes for the recaros too.

mkaresh
10-25-08, 11:13 AM
Well, anyone who buys the seats and doesn't like them probably won't have too hard a time finding someone willing to swap...

tedcmiller
10-25-08, 02:05 PM
Cadillac Tony,
Thanks for the update.
I looked at the order e-mailed to me by the salesman and I did not see anything about "Targeted Production Week" or status (Accepted or otherwise). Maybe what I have is a preliminary version of the actual order. In any case, I will not worry too much, as the car will be here when it is here.

EricVonHa
10-25-08, 05:14 PM
On the pricing, it does seem "steep" if you've never seen the pricing on an aftermarket high performance/luxury seat such as the Recaros, Sparco, Status, Corbeau or other. Heated and cooled aftermarket seats with power adjustments will absolutely set you back over $1500/ea. GM is simply passing along their costs (and some marginal profit)

jjsC6
10-28-08, 09:47 PM
If you want comfort buy a CTS 3.6 and be comfortable!

I have a CTS 3.6. My biggest complaint with the car is the seats are very uncomfortable. I will not own another CTS unless the seats are improved. My guess is this will be my first and last CTS - and that is the only real deal breaker for me. Unfortunately, the test drives just weren't enough for me to know.

Kidhummer
11-01-08, 04:46 PM
My dealer told me today that the recaro seats are not available because they are going bankrupt. He also told me that I couldnt order the suede steering wheel and shift knob because that option can only be ordered with the recaros. So, i ordered a black on black auto with everything except the seats and the polished wheels.

V-Love
11-03-08, 11:49 PM
[quote=Kidhummer;1673901]My dealer told me today that the recaro seats are not available because they are going bankrupt. quote]

That sounds fishy. Recaro is going bankrupt?

bruff1977
11-05-08, 12:21 PM
Heard the same thing from my dealer. Thank goodness I put my order/deposit down when I did...

concorso
11-05-08, 09:38 PM
I havent heard anything of this, but they wouldnt be the first aftermarket company to go bust in the last few months...

GNSCOTT
11-06-08, 12:15 AM
I found nothing on the net of a bankruptcy. I would think a co. that did 159 million in sales last year would make some news reels if they were in danger. Sounds more to me like a dealer that wants to get your money for the car now rather than have you and him wait for the constraint to be lifted.

Cadillac Tony
11-06-08, 10:02 AM
Recaro going out of business? You've got a clever Salesman. :nono:

I'm a little miffed that orders I put in months ago (like for csp3000) are not going to arrive until after orders I put in three weeks ago due to the Recaro seat supply issue, but it is what it is, and I think they're worth waiting for if you really want a racing style seat.

bruff1977
11-06-08, 10:15 AM
Had a gut feeling my salesman was blowing smoke you know where. They better understand I am locked at MSRP OR LOWER.

offsight204
11-07-08, 11:21 AM
Had a gut feeling my salesman was blowing smoke you know where. They better understand I am locked at MSRP OR LOWER.

Bad thing is that we know more than allot of them..:suspense:

mikeith
11-26-08, 11:12 AM
i'm planning to order one for the next allocation AFTER i get a chance to sit in recaros and compare them to the regular seats. i have a good friend @ a cadillac dealer who gave me info on the dealer cost of each of these options and the recaro seats are just over 2800 @ cost which makes it a little easier for me to swallow but i still need to set in em before i can justify spending that much. they should be getting one in in the next week or two so i'll be able to see. after reading the previous post i think i'll really like em because i have a 32" weist and i like feeling secure in the seats.

would someone mind posting a side by side comparison pictures of the seats?

Short-Throw
11-26-08, 11:51 AM
My dealer told me today that the recaro seats are not available because they are going bankrupt.

The dealers may not know or do not want to admit but the seats were a bigger success than anticipated. There were more CTS-Vs ordered with Recaro's than the small sample here in this thread indicates.

People also think for some reason a sport seat is not comfortable. It is often the other way around. While they may not offer the same padding as a big old cushy seat, they are more contoured and fit the body much better, like a form fitted ski boot!

It's nice not to have to stick your knee against the door to hold yourself in through a turn.

StormCaddy
11-26-08, 02:52 PM
The dealers may not know or do not want to admit but the seats were a bigger success than anticipated. There were more CTS-Vs ordered with Recaro's than the small sample here in this thread indicates.

People also think for some reason a sport seat is not comfortable. It is often the other way around. While they may not offer the same padding as a big old cushy seat, they are more contoured and fit the body much better, like a form fitted ski boot!

It's nice not to have to stick your knee against the door to hold yourself in through a turn.

I got to try the Recaro's at the Driving Lab in NY a couple of weeks ago and they are comfortable! I drove up there from NC and my standard 08 CTS seats got a little hard. The Recaro thigh bolster was really supportive and the side and bottom bolsters were awesome. Also, there is an UPPER and LOWER lumbar adjustment. Way cool seats.

jjsC6
11-26-08, 05:33 PM

I don't understand you statement that they are not making them because they underestimated demand. As best as we can tell, not a single V has been delivered to a dealer yet, and the seats are on hold. How does that equate to demand being the problem? You actually have to be building some in order to not be able to build enough.

Short-Throw
12-01-08, 04:33 PM
Well, you guys who have followed the develoopments better than I have probably anticipated the cost of the Recaro seat option. I on the hand, did not. Something north of $3K? I"m going to have a really hard time spending that kind of money these seats considering its my daily driver and will almost never see track time and also without seeing them. Anyone aware of any reviews or other comments about the quality of the standard seats? I'm moderately happy with the seats in my '06 V. Thoughts?

I agree. These seats define this car. The standard seats are the single thing I'd like to upgrade in my 3.6 DI CTS. After coming from the AMG E55 seats, these are a major letdown.

ABSOLUTELY GET THE SEATS. YOUR ASS AND BACK WILL THANK YOU EVERY TIME YOU GET BEHIND THE WHEEL.

bsteven43,

A quick story:

As many have read, I was the first lucky one and picked up my CTS-V with Recaros last week.

As a favor to the dealership I brought it back a few days later so they could show it for a day to potential customers that wanted to see it in person. I was given an 09 base CTS as a loaner. To be honest, the base seats are a huge mistake for the CTS-V. The Recaros are simply more comfortable. They aren't as cushy as the base seats. (If you're looking to sink into a seat like a big plush sofa, maybe the base seats are the way to go, but they give absolutely so support whatsoever.)

People hear Recaro and they think, OMG...it's a stiff race seat. Although Recaro does make plenty of race seats, this CTS-V seat is designed for the street that gives a wonderful adjustable fit to almost any driver.

The seat-back reclines, the seat itself moves up, down, tilts, it has thigh supports, hip and back bolsters that are all power adjustable. Yes, race seats can be had for $400-$1200, but do not offer what these seats do as far as comfort and flexibility.

Let me know if there is anybody local who wants to sit in my car because they are on the fence. It is the most expensive option on the car and IMO the first one that should be chosen.

I cannot see ordering the CTS-V without the Recaros, especially after driving it over 300 miles and sitting in the base seats in between.

oh, BTW, this car is an absolute monster!

Mike

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-02-08, 10:06 PM
Although I haven't driven one, I did sit in an 09 with the Recaros. They are awesome.

pmsteinm
12-09-08, 04:43 PM
Bump...anyone know when these will come of constraint? If ever...

forumsid987
01-09-09, 04:22 AM
anyone have a picture of these seats?