: Night Vision HUD

Vdrenaline
10-18-08, 10:17 PM
Why doesn't Cadillac offer a Heads Up Display thermal night vision system in all of its new cars?
Caddy was the first to come out with the system years ago in the DeVille but the people who were buying those cars were not early adopters of technology -they were OLD.
Now all the luxury car makers are offering night vison systems but Caddy's is still the best: Thremal based and heads up display.
Not only is thermal imaging great for seeing people and animals at night, but importantly it allows you to spot speed trap cars hidden in the medians. In a car like the V, this could be mean keeping your driver's license.
Cadillac, PLEASE wake up and offer this!
Everyone please chime in and let's try to get Caddy to listen up and offer this awesome technology.
Thanks!

V-Love
10-19-08, 01:41 AM
Too much weight! Check the DTS forum.

Vdrenaline
10-19-08, 11:14 AM
Maybe but at least give us the option to decide for ourselves whether we want to pay the weight penalty in exchange for greater safety and etc. Mercedes, BMW and Lexus are all offering it and so should Cadillac.

CadillacSTS42005
10-19-08, 12:04 PM
maybe because it was a 5k option that tanked?!?!
why continue to offer and develop something thats uber expensive for them when nobody or a select few buy it...

The Black Dahlia
10-20-08, 12:33 AM
Actually, one main reason for the kill of the option was becuase of how many hunters were using the technology to hunt for animals.... Apparently GM didn't like this. Sounds strange, but true!

Among other reasons of course..

coolcaddy1
10-20-08, 06:42 PM
Actually, one main reason for the kill of the option was becuase of how many hunters were using the technology to hunt for animals.... Apparently GM didn't like this. Sounds strange, but true!

Among other reasons of course..

I don't know about that. I'm gona have to call B.S. GM sells a ton of pickup that hunter pile tons of dead deer into each year. I doubt GM cares about one knuckle head running aroung in his Caddy blasting away. Plus it is illegal in almost all instances to hunt at night. Plus its a helluva lot cheaper to buy a set of thermal/night optics from your local outdoors outfitters. For 5k you can get some realy nice stuff. But who knows people have done dumber things before:alchi:

gothicaleigh
10-21-08, 09:52 AM

:rofl:

I'm sorry, but the image of some guy chasing down deer in his DTS really got me for some reason...

The Tony Show
10-21-08, 10:11 AM
Imagine retrofitting Adaptive Cruise to a 2001 DTS with Night Vision........Bambi wouldn't stand a CHANCE! :lol:

CIWS
10-22-08, 12:04 PM
Plus its a helluva lot cheaper to buy a set of thermal/night optics from your local outdoors outfitters. For 5k you can get some realy nice stuff. But who knows people have done dumber things before:alchi:

:yeah:

Night scope on a suppressed .308 FTW !

http://www.opticsplus.net/DayNightScopes/DayNightScopes/ATN4-12X80DayNightRifleScope

porkfarm
10-22-08, 12:18 PM
Great option for the middle east. You can see people on the sides of the road at night, as well as road side packages. I bet the current radar system on my 05 caddy can do IR, just that it was not enabled. GM was working with Raytheon back then I think. ( back when I was working with them ) Just think .. You could park out front your house and check for heat leaks to save energy.

coolcaddy1
10-23-08, 12:27 AM
:yeah:

Night scope on a suppressed .308 FTW !

http://www.opticsplus.net/DayNightScopes/DayNightScopes/ATN4-12X80DayNightRifleScope

i like the flatter trajectory of my .270 :Poke: or the knock down of my .300winmag :devil:

Vdrenaline
10-23-08, 06:46 AM
maybe because it was a 5k option that tanked?!?!
why continue to offer and develop something thats uber expensive for them when nobody or a select few buy it...

I have to think they could make it and sell it for less money now and if they sold enough units that they would get economies of scale.

I think that the main reason it failed was they did not offer the technology in cars that early adopters of technology buy. If GM offered night vision in cars like the CTS (and V), the Escalade, the SRX, XLR, the Corvette, Saabs, Yukon Denali, Tahoes/ Suburbans, Hummers and etc then they would sell plenty of them and could do so at $3000. At $3000 I would buy it.

Would anyone else buy it at $3000 for safety and speedtrap spotting?

SvB4EvA
10-24-08, 04:16 AM
:rofl:

I'm sorry, but the image of some guy chasing down deer in his DTS really got me for some reason...
i was thinking the same thing, rofl..... :histeric: