: Cerberus could sell Jeep to Renault

Blackout
10-18-08, 09:54 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/17/cerberus-could-sell-jeep-to-renault/

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-08, 10:23 AM
That's pretty ironic considering how Chrysler got Jeep in the late '80s.

LS1Mike
10-18-08, 03:23 PM
and AMC used to sell Renualts...And we know about Jeep and AMC.

Sandy
10-18-08, 07:27 PM
Let me tell you something about AMC & Jeep.

The people that were so connected by way of corporate reps, dealers, zone managers etc were among the nicest people ya ever wanted to be part of.
They cared about how we treated the consumer. They cared about us, the sales force and they cared about our dealer principle. It was a pleasure to see them arrive! At the Big-3 across town, nobody seemed to care about anything but the bottom line. You are OUT tomorrow if you had a bad day, yesterday.
My happiest days in the retail car business were spent with AMC/Jeep. When Renault came on board, that was fine and everybody welcomed their products. More variety for us to sell. Many people swore by AMC cars, having had 4,5 or 6 in a row, and we sold whole families, from Grand Pa to Dad to the teenager.
Privately owned, family run low overhead dealerships with the owner always there. No pressure on us, and no pressure from us on the buyer.
Back when the businees was good.

LS1Mike
10-18-08, 07:53 PM
My dad use to only buy AMC, then GM. He always said how good the dealerships were.
I had a 1986 Renualt Alliance.
POS, but when it ran it ran very nice. It was the 1984 Motor Trend car of the Year...WOW!

Sandy
10-18-08, 09:58 PM
Ya, but for a few exceptions, they didn't sell cars to "Car-People" such as Pontiac & Dodge & Ford did, but in a quiet way, those AMC-Jeep/Renault dealers carved out a nitch of loyal owners.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-08, 11:59 PM
The only memory of Renault in the US that I have is one I have from when I was a little kid. One of my neighbors had a mid '80s Renault convertible, and it was a silver color. Judging by the color of the car, and the diamond shaped Renault logo, I thought the car was named the Diamond.

hueterm
10-19-08, 12:16 AM
Was it a "LeCar"? With the sliding fabric roof?

What a nightmare...and people complain about Cimarrons....

c5 rv
10-19-08, 12:41 PM
Let me tell you something about AMC & Jeep.

The people that were so connected by way of corporate reps, dealers, zone managers etc were among the nicest people ya ever wanted to be part of.
They cared about how we treated the consumer. They cared about us, the sales force and they cared about our dealer principle. It was a pleasure to see them arrive! At the Big-3 across town, nobody seemed to care about anything but the bottom line. You are OUT tomorrow if you had a bad day, yesterday.
My happiest days in the retail car business were spent with AMC/Jeep. When Renault came on board, that was fine and everybody welcomed their products. More variety for us to sell. Many people swore by AMC cars, having had 4,5 or 6 in a row, and we sold whole families, from Grand Pa to Dad to the teenager.
Privately owned, family run low overhead dealerships with the owner always there. No pressure on us, and no pressure from us on the buyer.
Back when the businees was good.

Interesting point, Sandy. One of my favorite profs at U of Michigan business school during the 90s was Gerald Meyers, who worked for AMC from the early 60s through when he was chairman and CEO from 77-82. He taught the capstone corporate strategy course in the MBA program (the last required class) and also taught one of the first corporate ethics classes at a top MBA school. In the corp strat class, he could have been the model of Professor Kingsfield, with written case summaries due every class, seating chart with pictures, marked attendance, marked correct and incorrect answers when called upon, etc. However, the ethics class was a series of discussions about doing the right thing for people and business. Topics included dealing with customers, vendors, employees, government bribes in Central America, hostage ransoms, etc. (He said their strategy was to eliminate the bribes but pay the ransoms.)

dkozloski
10-19-08, 12:53 PM
My favorite Renault memory is watching a woman in front of a laundramat trying to start her Renault while it's making startling grinding noises. The starter falls out the bottom of the car and dangles by the wires. I rapped on her window with my knuckles and she lowered it a crack. I say,"Lady, your starter just fell out the bottom of your car". She replies, "Yeah, Ugh Huh," and keeps on turning the key trying to start it. I walked away thinking to myself that they deserved each other.
I don't like Jeeps but I don't dislike them enough to wish Renault on them. Renault is just like the rest of France, all reverses.

jey
10-19-08, 08:53 PM
Interesting speculation, especially considering that Renault already owns 44% of Nissan...

hueterm
10-19-08, 09:02 PM
Possibly a Renault/Nissan/Chrysler combo would make more sense than DaimlerChrysler...

dkozloski
10-20-08, 01:47 AM
Possibly a Renault/Nissan/Chrysler combo would make more sense than DaimlerChrysler...
No sense in spoiling three different car companies.