: steam out of tailpipes

landon101
10-18-08, 04:02 AM
I just got back from walmart...bout 3 in the morning here lol...anyways when I pulled in my driveway I noticed steam rolling out in the back...so I left it running and took a look. It was steam definitely NOT smoke. I put my hand real close on the exhaust and it got my hand moist or wet from the steam...I received a low coolant message about 6 weeks ago and topped it off and haven't seen the message since.

I never overheat and I've been driving some 30-35 mile trips back and fourth daily. Car seems to run good and idle good. I've tried doing research as best I could and this makes me think possibly the beginning stages of a HG. It's a 2001 base deville by the way. I know about the tests and stuff but not sure if I can trust anyone around here to give me an honest answer.

I'm thinking maybe trade it asap and get something else before I have more serious issues.

Thanks for any advice,

Landon

jeffrsmith
10-18-08, 11:16 AM
The exhaust gas test is easy to do - you should be able to do it yourself - then you don't have to worry about if someone is trying to rip you off. The kit is $50 at Napa, and did I say it was easy to do.

To do the test you warm up the engine - put blue liquid in tester, put ball pump on end of tester. Very carefully remove coolant surge tank cap, start engine, put tester in surge tank opening and pump the ball - if the liquid in the tester changes color (yellow) you have HG issues. You will know instantly.

P.S. - You should update your profile to show what year and model you own - it will make it easier to answer model specific questions should they arise.

Ranger
10-18-08, 12:13 PM
I don't know where you are, but at 0300 here it is fairly cool lately and tail pipe condensation is not out of the question. Next time, go back there and smell it. Does it smell sweet like coolant or like regular exhaust?

landon101
10-18-08, 12:22 PM
Yeah it has been pretty cool lately...I believe last night it was about 48 degrees or so when I came back home. I had the heat on 90 full blast too. I will look more carefully when I leave today and I will smell it. I didn't smell anything last night at all that I can remember.

I'll give an update later today or tomorrow and if I smell the sweet smell I will get the stuff from napa and do the test.

Thank you ranger and jeff for your replies.

Landon

Playdrv4me
10-20-08, 02:37 AM
I'd be more concerned about the out of no where check coolant message than the steam. Even our Escalade steams at 65 or below depending on ambient humidity. If it has a sweet smell to it, that's a good indication its coolant.

tateos
10-20-08, 05:40 PM
Yeah it has been pretty cool lately...I believe last night it was about 48 degrees or so when I came back home. I had the heat on 90 full blast too. I will look more carefully when I leave today and I will smell it. I didn't smell anything last night at all that I can remember.

I'll give an update later today or tomorrow and if I smell the sweet smell I will get the stuff from napa and do the test.

Thank you ranger and jeff for your replies.

Landon

If you smell coolant in the exhaust, save your money and don't bother to buy the kit. IMHO