Right now I'm using Castro 10-30.
I don't like it much. The engine seems
louder than usual. Anyone here ever
use that Z-max stuff? I'm leary of using
anything like a slick-50 product.

catman'98
10-18-08, 01:02 PM
I had the same question, so I searched this forum. I found this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/38858-15w40-right-cat.html

It seems there are variables that each of us should consider, like...
- How old is the engine?
- Has it been well maintained?
- What type of climate do we live in?
- Is the car kept in a warm garage, or outside...where cold starts are frequent?

My Catera has over 96k miles. I live in GA, where the summers are hot (+100F) and the winters are moderate (rarely below +20F). The car is garage kept, so it doesn't experience very many cold starts. The previous owner(s) did not maintenance the car as well as they should have. It was evident when I bought the car. It doesn't burn any oil and the leaks are very minimal / normal. I'm a firm believer in the premium synthetic oils, and use it in all the new vehicles that I buy. But, I don't think it would be the best for this older engine. I don't want to risk a synthetic that has 'deposit removal' detergents.

My choice? Valvoline, Premium Conventional 10W30

achapra
10-19-08, 10:55 PM
I use mixed... went for an oil change, since I didn't know what the owner before me used we decided it best to use mixed. (Bought the car back in March... was a little late on the oil change by couple of miles :-(!) Car seems to be running great.

any objections?

achapra
10-19-08, 10:56 PM
Oh yea, what'd you do with all that money?? I don't feel like looking for the forum post to find out ! lol.

R-Caddy
10-22-08, 06:17 PM
I used to use Royal Purple, but went back to Mobil 1- 10W 30

TitanCTS
10-22-08, 07:29 PM
Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 10-30. Far better than mobil 1, Best desludging oil... and Holds the most pressure at any given time regardless of temperature...