: 93 STS cooling system/h-gasket problem

friesianfever
10-18-08, 02:36 AM
Hi, I am having some unfortunate issues with my 1993 STS. It started with me getting the "check coolant level" light coming on all the time. It slowly got worse and worse until I had to add water to the coolant reservoir every time I drove it to work etc. Then the car would also not always turn on when I turned the key, one day it wouldn't start at all. I had to have it towed and replace the starter, the mechanic said the starter housing was cracked so I had that fixed for nearly 600$ (not sure if those two things are connected or not?). The same mechanic had a look at my cooling system and informed me that there was a crack in the thermostat housing, and water pump housing. I got him to fix that problem, but when I went to pick the car up there is an obvious increase in white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. He told me to get rid of the car as it could be a head gasket, but I am not so sure. Before I took it to him it didn't have much smoke coming out at all. His explanation was that now that the leaks in the cooling system have been fixed, that there is more pressure in the system making the smoke come out??? It seems like everytime I take it to get some work done on it something else goes wrong right after, do you think he sabotaged my car or is he being honest?

I got some new codes, I have looked them up but don't really know what they mean if someone has some advice I would really appreciate it.

P035 (history), P052 (history), , P109 (history)

zonie77
10-18-08, 03:00 AM
He's probably right about the HG's.

He is right that fixing the outer leaks is going to increase pressure on the inside leak.

friesianfever
10-18-08, 03:08 AM
Thanks for your opinion. Do you think that means the head gasket is done for, or is this something I can fix before it gets worse? Any other reasons why there might be white smoke? I thought maybe because I don't have a working cateylic converter? Thanks again.

Any other opinions out there?

Submariner409
10-18-08, 11:06 AM
Take the time this weekend to search this forum and up in Seville for threads concerning head gaskets and overheating. You will find many similar answers to your question.

Ranger
10-18-08, 01:09 PM
I doubt that he sabotaged the car. If the white "smoke" is steam and smells like coolant, then the head gaskets are probably done for.

Playdrv4me
10-20-08, 03:39 AM
H/g..

tateos
10-20-08, 06:32 PM
Yep - hg