: My first carb swap

csbuckn
10-17-08, 11:22 PM
"Damn, here goes this guy and his "my first" sh#t again"! did I steal the words right out of your mouth. It could be worse, I just did my first windshield and didnt post "My first windshield swap".

My next new project is a carb swap on the 307 Brougham. The problem I have is that I dont know what kind of carb I have! Its a Holly, I'm guessing a smaller one. Here are some pics. Now is this carb one that would bolt right on? I know I have to have electric choke(right?) and an adapter(right?). But I dont know about secondary vacuum or stuff like that. I'm thinking that the electrical connections would be different and.......

Really need some help here because I couldnt find much on the World Wide Web.

jayoldschool
10-18-08, 12:36 PM
What intake is it going to go on? That carb is probably not the best choice. That is a Ford carb. Of course, your Caddy won't know that, but after all the work you have done, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to use it...

Ok, I did a little more research. It is a 600CFM, model 4180. Came on 83-85 Mustang and the 351W in some mid 80's trucks.

If you have a square bore intake, go with a new Holley or Edelbrock. If you have a spread bore, a rebuilt Quadrajet.

csbuckn
10-18-08, 01:16 PM
Ok, so I should sell this carb and use the money to rebuild the Q-jet. Sounds good to me.