: 2009 Ford F-150 first drive

Blackout
10-17-08, 10:45 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5063862/2009-ford-f+150-first-drive

Aron9000
10-17-08, 06:46 PM
Ford is still behind the curve with its 5.4 V8, Toyota, Dodge, and GM offer more powerful motors than that.

I'm not impressed myself, it still looks like last year's model, all they changed was the front clip and maybe put some fancier bits on the interior(which looked nicer than anything Lincoln is selling)

caddycruiser
10-17-08, 07:56 PM
Here too:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/17/first-drive-2009-ford-f-150-capability-matters/

It seems very well done and while, again, they didn't do much with the look, Ford generally goes above and beyond with the basic engineering. The F-150 has always been a solid truck--as even some who own them here attested in another thread--and this revision just takes that further again. If you're in the market for a truck anymore, there are some really awesome new choices, for sure.

Destroyer
10-17-08, 08:02 PM
Love the interior, dont care for the exterior........especially that grill!. :)

Night Wolf
10-18-08, 02:19 AM
If I was buying a new pickemup truck... I really don't think I could take this over the new RAM... I just think the RAM is pretty darn sweet. I agree, worst part of the whole new F-150 is the grille.... seems to be the way Ford is going now.

Destroyer
10-18-08, 08:08 AM
If I was buying a new pickemup truck... I really don't think I could take this over the new RAM... I just think the RAM is pretty darn sweet. I agree, worst part of the whole new F-150 is the grille.... seems to be the way Ford is going now.

The new Rangers have that grille too. Eeewww!

Aron9000
10-18-08, 08:15 AM
The new 2009 Dodge Ram is pretty damn radical with its coil over shock rear suspension. Its still a solid axle design, but if it offers the same payload/towing capacity as the Ford/Chevy/GMC leaf spring design with better ride quality. Look out:)

I say all of this allegedley. My personal opinion is still out until GM, Ford, Nissan, Dodge, and Toyota 2009 models are all compared at one time. Right now the 1/2 ton truck market is in the most competive and worst selling market it has ever seen.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-08, 10:27 AM
It looks great, but is it enough to compete with the new Ram??? I dunno...

Blackout
10-18-08, 10:35 AM
Ford is still behind the curve with its 5.4 V8, Toyota, Dodge, and GM offer more powerful motors than that.
It boasts class-leading capabilities like a maximum 11,300 lb towing capacity and a 3,030 lb maximum payload capacity, while also offering best-in-class fuel economy (tied with the Chevy Silverado XFE) of 15 MPG in the city and 21 MPG on the highway when you opt for the fuel-sipping SFE model.I'd say with those stats it's just fine

Night Wolf
10-18-08, 11:37 AM
2009 and the "best" fuel econ for a 1/2 ton truck is 15/21? Thats really pathetic....

LS1Mike
10-18-08, 12:16 PM
I will be curious to see how the half ton Diesels do next year. GMs version in testing has said to have seen 28 mpg.
I don't know about Fords small diesel, but from what I have read it sounds promising.
15/21. I don't know how they will do better really. That is around what most current diesel trucks get too. Stuff gets heavier year after year. Unless you buy like a Prius Aveo or Hybird small car which is there whole purpose most cars only average right around 30-32 mpg today and are geared and designed especially for that. We know that trucks are not that way at all.
You have to put highway gears in a truck. 3.23s maybe 2.73s Yuck, towing will suck and you may only see 1 to 2 mpg. They would really take a lot of the truck capability away at todays technology level, by lightining up the frame and the rest of the componets that make a truck a truck. It is tough to make a truck that you expect to work like one and get good gas mileage. Even leaning out GMs stupid Pig rich tune, I only picked up about 2 to 3 mpg on the highway in my 04 5.3 EC 4x4 with exhaust, CAI and tune.
It may be pathetic, but I don't think anyone has any better ideas for large vehicle gas mileage, besides a diesel which will tack on at least 5 grand to the price or they would be doing it.

RightTurn
10-18-08, 12:32 PM
Hmmm, looks good to me from the pics...but I always need to see something in person to get the real story. There will always be a market for 1/2 ton pickups no matter what the gas mileage. (Some people actually use them for carrying stuff, ahaha.) I am a fan of Ford trucks and I like the grill; wish my hubby would buy a new one but he likes driving 'em till the wheels fall off.

hueterm
10-18-08, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry...they're just going too weird with these. The front clip is too busy, to be not much different than the current model. And that dash (especially the center stack) is just WRONG. FAIL. SAD.

Cliff8928
10-19-08, 04:06 AM
If you get the Silverado Hybrid it goes up to 22 MPG :gnome:

Aron9000
10-19-08, 05:20 AM
2009 and the "best" fuel econ for a 1/2 ton truck is 15/21? Thats really pathetic....

Any of the older pickups built in the 80's and 90's would be lucky to see 15mpg going downhill with a tailwind