: Has anyone else run into this??

lollygagger8
10-17-08, 09:56 AM
Whenever I leave the windows down driving around, the wind pulls the inside interiors of the pillars out. Has anyone else had this problem?

I can easily put em back in, and pull the rubber "seal" back over it, but it just happens again and again. Is there a certain clip that I'm missing or what?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/caddyapillar.jpg

whisler151
10-17-08, 10:05 AM
Whenever I leave the windows down driving around, the wind pulls the inside interiors of the pillars out. Has anyone else had this problem?

I can easily put em back in, and pull the rubber "seal" back over it, but it just happens again and again. Is there a certain clip that I'm missing or what?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/caddyapillar.jpg

Yeah...it just happened to me again the other day. It just tucks under the rubber seal. The first time it happened my boss was in the car with me...it was a bit embarrassing. It tends to happen with the windows down for a prolonged period of time.

Annoying :banghead:

lollygagger8
10-17-08, 10:41 AM
Is there anyway to prevent it from happening? It IS very annoying, I agree:annoyed:

Bigron
10-17-08, 10:44 AM
There is a clip that is broken,
usually a warranty fix item. Common failure.

lollygagger8
10-17-08, 10:48 AM
I'm out of warranty :banghead: Does anyone happen to know what clip/where it goes or part number?

Where's Luke at when you need him? :)

CadiBlk
10-17-08, 10:50 AM
Ya, mine has been replaced under warranty. If you are out of warranty there is a thread somewhere in the archives where some guys did an easy DIY fix.

Mine happened again last weekend and there was someone in the backseat, they were freaked that the airbag was blast them in the side of the head.

SFBayV
10-17-08, 10:51 AM
Yes. On the sail panel itself, there is a mounting point underneath the "Air Bag" emblem. The emblem is held in place with integral snaps or catches. Once the emblem is removed, you'll find a screw which attaches the sail panel to a sheet metal riser in the pillar. Since the sail panel is plastic, the mounting point gets stressed over time and eventually cracks and breaks off. I recently had mine repaired under warranty about one 1/2 months ago.

Cory

PISNUOFF
10-17-08, 10:52 AM
There is a screw under the 'AIRBAG' plug. Pry out the plug and remove the whole trim piece. Look at the plastic at the screw location on the trim piece and you'll see that it's broken. You can then try to repair and reinforce it or buy a new one.

Cory beat me to it.

CadiBlk
10-17-08, 10:53 AM
Yes. On the sail panel itself, there is a mounting point underneath the "Air Bag" emblem. The emblem is held in place with integral snaps or catches. Once the emblem is removed, you'll find a screw which attaches the sail panel to a sheet metal riser in the pillar. Since the sail panel is plastic, the mounting point gets stressed over time and eventually cracks and breaks off.

Cory

That's the ticket. I think guys were gluing washers to that mounting point or something like that. Soon as you see the mounting point that Cory is talking about I'm sure your imagination will start cranking.

lollygagger8
10-17-08, 10:55 AM
Maaaannnn.....I just called Luke and drivers side is $54.98, and passenger side is $82.55.......boooo. What keywords should I search under, or is it is FAQ?? It's gotta be an easy/less expensive fix.

I'll look under the airbag tab and check it out, I'm sure it's broken like you guys said. Is there anyways to just buy the plastic part that's broken? Or does it sound like glue is my future? :lol:

trukk
10-17-08, 11:50 AM
CARS WITHOUT MOONROOFS DON'T HAVE THIS ISSUE.

Yes I was shouting. I drive with all my windows down 8 months (approx 15k miles) per year, and have about 80k miles on my car right now. This inlcudes at least a dozen days running at VIR 140 mph+ with all the windows down.

Zero sail panel issues.

I do not have a moon roof. I have to think that the way the air flows through the car with the moon roof open causes the sail pannel issue.

So either come up with a home brew fix, continue to get new sail panels occasionally, or roll with the moonroof closed.

-Chris

lollygagger8
10-17-08, 11:54 AM
CARS WITHOUT MOONROOFS DON'T HAVE THIS ISSUE.

Yes I was shouting. I drive with all my windows down 8 months (approx 15k miles) per year, and have about 80k miles on my car right now. This inlcudes at least a dozen days running at VIR 140 mph+ with all the windows down.

Zero sail panel issues.

I do not have a moon roof. I have to think that the way the air flows through the car with the moon roof open causes the sail pannel issue.

So either come up with a home brew fix, continue to get new sail panels occasionally, or roll with the moonroof closed.

-Chris

I DON'T HAVE A MOONROOF!!! <- I shouted back :lol:

(no moonroof cuz it's faster)

Kmajecki
10-17-08, 11:54 AM
Yea mine keeps coming down too. I'll add it to the list of small things to do, including headlight scratches... I'm going to try the glue first. Be careful with this stuff or you'll be one with your car permanently!
http://www.neussupply.com/gorillaGlue.jpg

Albertan
10-17-08, 12:00 PM
If you are going to glue it, the panels are probably ABS alloy. Should be able to use Yellow sewer pipe glue on it. If not Gorilla glue would probably work. Reminds me I glued my office manager's shoe the other day, better go look at it.

CadiBlk
10-17-08, 12:36 PM

I do have a moonroof, but mine popped off on a drive with the roof closed....:thepan:

Jon
10-17-08, 12:54 PM
My dealer replaced the plastic piece with a metal piece and it stopped happening. I've done some VERY spirited driving with the windows open and they haven't fallen off again.

SFBayV
10-17-08, 01:28 PM
Maaaannnn.....I just called Luke and drivers side is $54.98, and passenger side is $82.55.......boooo. What keywords should I search under, or is it is FAQ?? It's gotta be an easy/less expensive fix.

I'll look under the airbag tab and check it out, I'm sure it's broken like you guys said. Is there anyways to just buy the plastic part that's broken? Or does it sound like glue is my future? :lol:

On mine, the part of the panel which mounted to the raised sheet metal tab was simply a pedestal (for lack of a better word), and the plastic had cracked and eventually separated at the section where the mounting screw attached to the pillar. In my instance, an easy fix would have been to remove the screw and place a washer larger than the screw head under it. Then it would just been a matter reattaching the sail panel to the pillar and reinstalling the air bag emblem. Your situation may very well be resolved that easily.

Cory

lollygagger8
10-17-08, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check it out this weekend and see how much gorilla glue I'm gonna need :lol:

It's always something ha

trukk
10-17-08, 02:27 PM

Must be user error ;-)

I always drive with all 4 windows down. Is that how you do it, or do you have just the fronts or the rears down?

BTW, Kudo's for buying the car the way it should be (sans moonroof).

-Chris

CadiBlk
10-17-08, 03:25 PM
Must be user error ;-)

-Chris

Hater. :sneaky:

lollygagger8
10-17-08, 04:12 PM
Must be user error ;-)

I always drive with all 4 windows down. Is that how you do it, or do you have just the fronts or the rears down?

-Chris

All of the windows down as much as possible/and drive as fast as possible! :devilheh:

trukk
10-17-08, 04:56 PM
Hater. :sneaky:

HUR :D

I took a me a long while to track down a V w/o a moonroof way back in '05.

-Chris

stuckey
10-18-08, 01:08 AM
No moonroof here and had to replace my driverside right after purchasing my car it was already broken when I bought it;

shadybx7
10-18-08, 01:46 AM
yea i love my moon roof, whenever its not raining its open and imo a luxury isn't the same without one. ok, so my V has a slightly higher center of gravity. Ive gotten over it.

yea my sailplanes have been replaced under warranty 2 times, they suck

Kurlee Daddee
10-21-08, 10:31 AM
On mine, the part of the panel which mounted to the raised sheet metal tab was simply a pedestal (for lack of a better word), and the plastic had cracked and eventually separated at the section where the mounting screw attached to the pillar. In my instance, an easy fix would have been to remove the screw and place a washer larger than the screw head under it. Then it would just been a matter reattaching the sail panel to the pillar and reinstalling the air bag emblem. Your situation may very well be resolved that easily.

Cory

edit: I did the same procedure above on my V as well. I broke the my panel that last time I installed it. The hole that runs through it broke through. So I used the described method above and the panel no longer moves. Good luck.

The Tony Show
10-21-08, 10:43 AM
Glue a washer in there to rebuild the end of the "pedestal". I did mine myself, and it's holding up great.

lollygagger8
10-21-08, 11:52 AM
Let's hear it for glue!! :lol:

ichpen
10-21-08, 05:28 PM
Guys, this has happened on my own car and those plastic retainers are not replaceable i.e. they are meant to be very fragile as there's an airbag beneath the panel that has to deploy. As the previous owner of my car was not careful in removing the screws before pulling the panels off (to get under the rear deck) I found that both retainers were broken. A temp fix is to take some of the rubber door lining off and tuck it over the panel to keep it in place.

Whatever you do be careful not to glue the panel or put screws in or your airbags could be compromised should they ever need to deploy.

CadiBlk
10-21-08, 05:38 PM
Man it would suck to be back there trying to pop that panel back on and then....BLAM airbag in teh face.:pwn:

RightTurn
10-21-08, 05:46 PM
Be sure to post pics when that happens. :rofl:

ichpen
10-21-08, 05:47 PM
Been there. Not with the caddy though. I'd recommend lighting up a cig just before for the added wow factor and associated special effects.

CadiBlk
10-21-08, 06:15 PM
lolly, make sure your fix is child safe. I'd hate for a fresh metal washer to turn into pipe bomb shrapnel when the airbag goes off with your baby in the backseat. I'm not too sure how it deploys, but as stated before it might be possible to fix it too good and keep the air bag from deploying correctly. FWIW

BacDoc
10-21-08, 06:44 PM
Mine came down the other day. I don't think it goes under that rubber although that's what I did for a temp fix. The other side is over the rubber. Is it not a plastic clip under that holds it up?

ichpen
10-21-08, 07:46 PM
Doesn't seem to be anything holding that panel other than the plastic clip underneath and the rear door rubber lining. If it's bothering people I'd recommend you get a replacement and be very careful when mounting it again (plastic clips behind are very fragile). As I mention before don't glue it back on. Airbags and paneling is designed to deploy in a certain way. Gluing it will definitely cause issues and ones you won't know about until it's too late. Don't mess with the airbags.

Mystical_Ice
10-21-08, 08:39 PM
i never, ever, have people in my back seat, so i could weld it on and not care less.

personally though, what i did, is get a washer that fit just inside the plastic tab section, glue it in, and then put the screw through that.

no more problems :)

lollygagger8
10-22-08, 10:06 AM
The airbag sensor (to deploy it) is on the inside of the A-pillar? If I get a left hook and punched in the face with an airbag I'm gonna be pissed!! :lol:

If glue by itself (no washers) will hold it in, I'll glue it. Like CadiBlk said, I'm going to have a baby back there, so I want to make sure it's safe.

SFBayV
10-22-08, 10:54 AM
If a washer is used, I don't think that anyone implied that it should be made of metal. There isn't much structural load on this part so a plastic or rubber (o-ring) washer can be used. It should simply be something that will spread the the load of the screw over any remaining surface area of the pedestal.

Cory