: What engine add-ons can i buy for my 80' cdv to make it acellerate faster/run better?

durrk johnson
10-16-08, 11:34 PM
Hey whats up guys...

I want to help my car run better/ accellerate faster... What quick engine add ons can buy for my engine that are relatively simple to put on? I want to buy a couple things from ebay...

any help/ opinions very much appreciated! :highfive:

zonie77
10-17-08, 02:22 AM
Anything bolt on from eBay would be a waste of money. There are web sites showing the scams...fuel ionizer, tornado intake, pills in the gas, etc...

Learn how to tune it and work from there. Change to an electric fan, CAI intake works on some cars, exhaust change, possibly underdrive pulleys you'll probably have to find some yourself. There are a lot of minor things that can add up. The real fix would be rebuilding the engine with more compression and a better cam.

csbuckn
10-17-08, 09:21 AM
carb spacer, CAI, exhuast, replace old ground wires, better ignition. But you should go for a better cam like zonie said, best bang for your buck

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-17-08, 10:00 AM
Yeah, but where do you find a hotter cam for a 1980 Cadillac 6.0 Liter?

Aron9000
10-17-08, 07:07 PM
Make sure its running right. Make sure the carb is properly adjusted and clean, change spark plugs, seafoam all the carbon buildup out of the motor, change the rotor and cap on the distributor, flush coolant, change the air filter, change the pvc valve(if it has one), replace the accesory belt.

Other than that, maybe put a less restrictive muffler on there. I wouldn't waste money on performance parts for that motor, the compression was low to pass smog, not a lot of cubic inches, its a smog era motor, best bet is to swap it out to a built 500ci Cadillac motor and gain about 300 horsepower that way.

csbuckn
10-17-08, 09:59 PM
Yeah, but where do you find a hotter cam for a 1980 Cadillac 6.0 Liter?

Good question. Um.......

90Brougham350
10-18-08, 10:48 AM
Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go? Aron is right. You would spent more money trying to make a 6 liter faster than if you spent $250 at the junkyard swapping in a 500 or 472.

Brian

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-08, 11:27 AM
You would spent more money trying to make a 6 liter faster than if you spent $250 at the junkyard swapping in a 500 or 472.

And with prices like that, the cubic inch to dollar ratio is insane!

durrk johnson
10-18-08, 12:03 PM
dudes... Im not trying to take it on a quarter mile...

I just want to make my engine run smoother and gain some acceleration. My car has gone quite sluggish.

I will definately take some of the suggestions above... But like, what is that rusty ass thing called on top of the carburetor? What about a new one of those?

jayoldschool
10-18-08, 01:26 PM
That rusty thing on top of the carb is the air filter housing.

Ok, you want it to run better. Here's what to do to get it running the best possible without doing any "mods" on it:

- correct air pressure in tires
- make sure brakes aren't dragging (check slider pins on front calipers, check to make sure rear drums are rotating freely)
- air filter
- PCV valve
- breather filter
- spark plugs
- spark plug wires
- cap, rotor
- coil
- set timing
- adjust choke
- switch to fresh synthetic oil and good filter
- flush/fill coolant, new thermostat
- make sure heat stove is opening
- make sure exhaust heat crossover is working
- replace catalytic convertor

You don't have to do everything, but all will make a difference. One important point, though: if that cat is plugged, it will make a HUGE difference. If it is the original one under there, I would change it. New cat designs are much more efficient than the old type.

csbuckn
10-18-08, 02:48 PM
all that should be under $200 depending on the exhaust and you will love your Cadillac. And dont delete your catalytic converter, get a new one. You will have more torque depending on who you ask.

durrk johnson
10-18-08, 11:25 PM
all that should be under $200 depending on the exhaust and you will love your Cadillac. And dont delete your catalytic converter, get a new one. You will have more torque depending on who you ask.

Hey thanks guys... thats what im talking about... i think I have a new catalytic converter but could i buy a flowmaster one from ebay and put it on myself? how hard would that be? and what gains would I get?

csbuckn
10-19-08, 12:02 AM
putting on exhaust depends on how rusty your old stuff is. If its really rusty, prepare to cut it off. Putting on new stuff can be bolt on if done right but the old stuff is not fun. Exhaust can be easy to do if its after the manifolds(the parts connected directly to the motor) and really easy after the converter. If you get a flowmaster muffler, you should feel the difference mainly on the highway. 45mph and up should be better, and the sound of course.

90Brougham350
10-19-08, 01:54 PM
If you don't have emissions testing in your state, you can hollow out the cat. That's a definite cost saver.

Brian

durrk johnson
10-20-08, 02:54 PM
Is this what you guys were talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-368-472-500-Isky-camshaft-cam-68-80-torque-RV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q 7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec 0Q2em14QQhashZitem200264018641QQitemZ200264018641