: Zaino'd today *pics*

Rolex
10-16-08, 09:53 PM
I spent a few hours washing and polishing the Titan today. Washed with dishwashing liquid to strip all the wax first. I followed that with Zaino's clay bar treatment. Then re-washed with Zaino's car wash. I followed that with one coat of Z5 polish followed by Z6 spray. I applied a second coat of Z2 polish followed by Z6 spray, and finished with a coat of Z8 finishing spray. I can't feel my shoulders this evening, but my truck looks great.

I know this sounds like an advertisement for Zaino, but I have no vested interest. Several of the owners on this car forum seem to swear by the stuff.

Even parked in the shade, the finish speaks for itself. Time invested 5-6 hours......I lost count.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/PA160318.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/PA160319.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/PA160320.jpg

c5 rv
10-16-08, 10:14 PM
The finish looks great. You follow the same steps I do. And yes, it takes most of the day.

slk230mb
10-16-08, 10:39 PM
Nice :)

Love the glass like reflection :cool2:

Wanna do my truck next? I feed well...

Murphyg
10-16-08, 10:53 PM
Looks absolutely fabulous.!

But wonder why you say to use dish washing liquid to remove wax ? If you clay after ??

Ive also heard that "Dawn" I believe.. may, can, will remove wax build ups. But along the same note. Have also heard that its not recommended to use it regularly.

But if your going to clay anyways ??? Im pretty sure that the clay would remove more then any dish detergent would ?????
Wouldnt it ???
So correct me if Im wrong. But If your gonna clay. Then why bother subjecting your vehicles finish to something thats not needed and or recommended !??

Florian
10-16-08, 11:04 PM
all that and you forgot to Z1 before your first coat after stripping.....a big no-no.
Oh, and buy an orbital waxer, it saves you time and wear on the shoulders.....Im a big Zaino guy too.

F

Kev
10-16-08, 11:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/PA160320.jpgHmm... I thought you were taller .......

... but the truck looks great! :rolleyes:

AlBundy
10-16-08, 11:15 PM
Hmm... I thought you were Japanese .......

... but the truck looks great!

Rolex
10-16-08, 11:42 PM
Wanna do my truck next? I feed well...

Maybe when I can move my shoulders again. :crying2:

But wonder why you say to use dish washing liquid to remove wax ? If you clay after ??

I was following the instructions included with the materials. They recommend using Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove wax build up and contaminants. Clay bar removes the solids and other contaminants the soap leaves behind.

all that and you forgot to Z1 before your first coat after stripping.....a big no-no.
Oh, and buy an orbital waxer, it saves you time and wear on the shoulders.....Im a big Zaino guy too.

F

Yeah I'll be ordering the orbital waxer before I do the wife's MDX. Sound advice F.

How often do you reapply the whole treatment?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-16-08, 11:44 PM
Hmm (just gotta continue the pattern here)... Its a truck. Its gonna get dirty again anyway. Foolish city slickers and your shiny, un-dented, un-rusted trucks. :)

Looks nice though. Makes me sad that the paint on the Fleetwood is too far gone to ever look that good again without being redone.

Rolex
10-16-08, 11:58 PM
Hmm (just gotta continue the pattern here)... Its a truck. Its gonna get dirty again anyway. Foolish city slickers and your shiny, un-dented, un-rusted trucks. :)

Looks nice though. Makes me sad that the paint on the Fleetwood is too far gone to ever look that good again without being redone.

Yeah it occurred to me right after I finished that I'll be hooking up my fishing boat and backing this thing into murky river water tomorrow. Oh well :alchi:

Murphyg
10-17-08, 12:18 AM
.................................................. .................................
I was following the instructions included with the materials. They recommend using Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove wax build up and contaminants. Clay bar removes the solids and other contaminants the soap leaves behind.

Next time use a soap that is recommended for automotive finishes, (and not a dish detergent).
And then the clay bar.

If your using a clay bar then there should be no need for a harsher detergent, IE: dish detergent, that is not recommended for automotive finishes.

If it is an older vehicle and it has been neglected/uncared for for an extended period of time.....Dawn is quick and easy.

But if deciding to do it right ........then Dawn isnt necessary.

Clay should be kept moist/lubricated while using.
So what soap is being used to lubricate. Which soaps are you tryin to remove.

Dont use Dawn and or dish soaps on a regular basis is all Im tryin to say.
Specially if your plannin to clay.

Rolex
10-17-08, 09:16 AM
Next time use a soap that is recommended for automotive finishes, (and not a dish detergent).

But but but Dawn dish detergent WAS the recommended soap (included instructions) for stripping the existing wax.

If your using a clay bar then there should be no need for a harsher detergent, IE: dish detergent, that is not recommended for automotive finishes.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe it's the job of a clay bar to remove wax. The high alkaline dish soap strips wax and oil build-up from the finish. Clay bar helps to remove other solids from the finish that even the harsher soap leaves behind. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but there are several solids (tree sap, bug solids, concrete dust, paint overspray, etc) that almost no soap will remove. That's what clay bar treatments were designed for.

Clay should be kept moist/lubricated while using.
So what soap is being used to lubricate. Which soaps are you tryin to remove.

I mixed (per instructions) 1/2 cap full of Zaino car wash soap in 12 ounces of water. It worked well to keep the finish lubricated for the clay bar. I wiped off all the residue behind the clay bar and then re-washed the vehicle with Zaino's car wash before polishing. It looked like a new vehicle even after 2 washes and the clay bar.

I was following the included instructions to a tee because I'm a first time user of their products. There was also an "accelerator" that I added to the polishes for this first treatment.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-17-08, 09:23 AM
Looks great. How much would it cost me to have you do my car?....

Florian
10-17-08, 10:29 AM
Maybe when I can move my shoulders again. :crying2:

Yeah I'll be ordering the orbital waxer before I do the wife's MDX. Sound advice F.

How often do you reapply the whole treatment?

I do the whole deal once a year in the spring - take a full day to do it. Clay bar thru plastic and window treatment. Then touch ups throughout the year.

F

Florian
10-17-08, 10:31 AM
Dawn is the best for stripping old wax off cars.....and is recommended by Zaino.

F

nickc50310
10-17-08, 11:55 AM
Looks great Rolex! You follow almost the same procedure as me. I am doing my fall polishing tomorrow to get ready for winter. Im just going to wash it, coat of z5, z6, z2, z6. I strip it every spring.

Rolex
10-17-08, 12:45 PM
Looks great. How much would it cost me to have you do my car?....

I will just say I'm glad I practice anesthesia for a living, and don't own a car wash. I'll do your car for $115 and hour....my going rate. ;)

I had new tires put on today. Cooper Discoverer S/T, 10 ply, all terrain tires. They're noticeably stiffer and louder then the BFG Cross Terrain tires that came on the truck. They look good on the truck at 33.3" tall. I'm going to have to try some of the off road trails out by the lake soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/PA170321-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/PA170324.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/PA170323.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-17-08, 12:49 PM
Let's see then...$115 an hour....how many hours would it take to do an S Class? Like 10? 12? Oh shit this is gonna get spendy.... :)

nickc50310
10-17-08, 01:19 PM
Rolex you an anetheisiologist? (SP)

Cadillacboy
10-17-08, 01:34 PM
It really made a huge difference, good job

Spyder
10-17-08, 07:47 PM
Yea, Excellent work! That IS a good looking... Nissan!

:D

93DevilleUSMC
10-18-08, 05:08 AM
She looks like she just rolled off the line! Hey, I noticed your reflection in one of the pictures, and you look like you've got a flattop. What do you do for a living? Military or LE?

hueterm
10-18-08, 06:11 PM
Looks great!! Tell me you changed your plans and didn't take it to the lake (and that someone else drove...)!!

Eld01
10-19-08, 09:00 AM
Ain't nuttin' like that new car shine !! I don't care how you got there. It looks great.

Rolex
10-19-08, 09:26 PM
Rolex you an anetheisiologist? (SP)

Perfect spelling, but no. I'm a certified registered nurse anesthetist...CRNA. So is the wife.:cool:

Rolex
10-19-08, 09:30 PM
She looks like she just rolled off the line! Hey, I noticed your reflection in one of the pictures, and you look like you've got a flattop. What do you do for a living? Military or LE?

Neither, see above. I wear a high and tight cut, but have never served. I am humbled by those that do and have.

Looks great!! Tell me you changed your plans and didn't take it to the lake (and that someone else drove...)!!

Nope, took it out to the lake and dipped it in the mud and water. :histeric: But we caught our limit in rainbow trout so it was well worth it. :cool2:

Destroyer
10-20-08, 07:39 AM
Sharp looking Titan. I totally forgot about the Titan when looking for a truck, maybe next time.

Rolex
10-20-08, 09:48 PM
Sharp looking Titan. I totally forgot about the Titan when looking for a truck, maybe next time.

They'll pass everything but a Tundra and a gas station. :rolleyes:

Murphyg
10-23-08, 08:31 PM
But but but Dawn dish detergent WAS the recommended soap (included instructions) for stripping the existing wax.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe it's the job of a clay bar to remove wax. The high alkaline dish soap strips wax and oil build-up from the finish. Clay bar helps to remove other solids from the finish that even the harsher soap leaves behind. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but there are several solids (tree sap, bug solids, concrete dust, paint overspray, etc) that almost no soap will remove. That's what clay bar treatments were designed for.

I mixed (per instructions) 1/2 cap full of Zaino car wash soap in 12 ounces of water. It worked well to keep the finish lubricated for the clay bar. I wiped off all the residue behind the clay bar and then re-washed the vehicle with Zaino's car wash before polishing. It looked like a new vehicle even after 2 washes and the clay bar.

I was following the included instructions to a tee because I'm a first time user of their products. There was also an "accelerator" that I added to the polishes for this first treatment.

Its just that it appears to be a fairly new vehicle and there shouldnt be the need to have to use a detergent to strip the wax.
Without a doubt Ive heard of using Dawn to strip off wax build up. But Ive always believed that that was for years and years of build up and neglect.

I really hope that the instructions included somewhere; Squinty print at least....That its not recommended to use Dawn as part of the regular regime for cleaning a vehicle.

Destroyer
10-23-08, 09:36 PM
They'll pass everything but a Tundra and a gas station. :rolleyes:My buddy that sold me the blown Mach bought an '08 Tundra(traded it in a month later for a new Stang but thats another story). I drove it and thought it was pretty damn nice and quick. He got like $19k for it on trade and I wish he called me this time when he was trading it in cause I would have bought it, had 3k miles!. I think he said the same thing, that the Tundra was fastest followed by the Titan and then then whatever. I like performance but I'm feathering it with the RAM to get the best mileage I can get so it doesn't really matter to me if a Tundra or a Titan is faster or whatnot. When it came to a truck, I went for the one I thought looked best. :D