: New Cimarron thread!

conquestofak
10-16-08, 01:42 PM
I know I know WHO CARES?!?!?
Heres the thing, someone has to adopt all those poor unwanted mistakes that our inept auto manufacturers create. My first was a Dodge Conquest, Then I completely restored an 86 VW Cabriolet, (alas guardrail 1 Cabby 0). I have just bought a completely original one owner 86 Cimarron for $100. It needs a head gasket, (Im a professional mechanic no problem)and thats it!
I figured that Cadillac owners would be a proud lot and all of you have not left me disappointed, I admire that!
The way I look at this misfit, is that its going to be a really really comfy 500 dollar car! I cant afford to drive my truck everywhere (super comfy!) and some notes i saw said 20 mpg, I bet i could squeeze more out of it.
So Heres the Question!
I have a factory shop manual as well as aftermarket manuals and all of gms services bulletins for this car, any other issues I need to know that the manufacturar isnt going to tell me (besides the fact that its a J car).
Also!
If anyone needs factory specs or things of that nature let me know!
COME OUT FROM HIDING CIMARRON OWNERS! :hide: NO MORE

pompste
10-22-08, 09:12 PM
Heres the thing, someone has to adopt all those poor unwanted mistakes that our inept auto manufacturers create. My first was a Dodge Conquest, Then I completely restored an 86 VW Cabriolet, (alas guardrail 1 Cabby 0). I have just bought a completely original one owner 86 Cimarron for $100. It needs a head gasket, (Im a professional mechanic no problem)and thats it!
I figured that Cadillac owners would be a proud lot and all of you have not left me disappointed, I admire that!
The way I look at this misfit, is that its going to be a really really comfy 500 dollar car! I cant afford to drive my truck everywhere (super comfy!) and some notes i saw said 20 mpg, I bet i could squeeze more out of it.
So Heres the Question!
I have a factory shop manual as well as aftermarket manuals and all of gms services bulletins for this car, any other issues I need to know that the manufacturar isnt going to tell me (besides the fact that its a J car).
Also!

I had a Cimarron thread here 3 months ago and got 2 replies.I wanted to know "when the last Cimarron thread was posted here".Long story short---type "Cimarron" in the "search" link.
It`s really ironic that the best Cimarron model produced was in the very last year of it`s production.

lexyr14
10-28-08, 11:13 PM
I have a cimmaron and I need HELP. I was wondering where I can find out how to properly clean the throttle body of the 86 cimmaron. My step dad is a mechanic and hes too bizy to do it -_- anyone know how to ?

conquestofak
11-11-08, 02:39 AM
OOPs been a while since I checked back here to to see if anyone responded.
Since my first post I have finished my repair, wow what a job! Total cost of car and repairs $275! Labor about 40 hours! That included an unbelieveable amount of diagnostic work to discover bad Spark plug wires DDUUUUHHH! As well a rocker arm tightened over spec wich a simple compression check IMMEDIATLY revealed. I now have a sign in my shop that reads " DONT OVER THINK IT STUPID!"
To respond to your question do you mean clean the throttle body only meaning only the ring with the butterfly or do you mean the upper intake manifold, the throttle body itself should be pretty easy but I wouldnt worry about it unless youre having a problem with the TPS or IAC motor. both are adjusted by the ECM so you cant foul up any adjustment by taking them off (Id check the manual to be sure)
As for the upper intake manifold, I thought about haveing mine cleaned up while it was off, just to make it pretty, Its bare aluminum i guess so a machine shop would probably throw it in their parts washer for pretty cheap. At home carb cleaner would work but Id remove both the TPS and IAC before spraying bunch of carb cleaner on that throttle body.

Oh ya Ive had mine about 5 times now and trust me Start at the battery and go backwards. battery,aircleaner assembly, intake hose, then throttle body only or upper intake with TB attached.

kaustein
11-11-08, 09:12 AM
So Heres the Question!
Also!

Please post some pics. I'd like to see how it looks now. My brother-in-law gets 20 year old cars alot. He owns a used car lot in Phoenix and they are all pretty much in good shape, considering the age. He just listed a 67, I believe Vette on Ebay. Been on blocks for 20 years and hasn't been started for that long. For the age, pretty good shape.

iron1951
11-12-08, 06:38 PM
Here are some pictures of my 87 Cavalier and my 86 Cimarron which is now on the road. Got the Cimarron from my mother after the accident. Check out the interior and the milage on my web page.

http:<double slash>home.cogeco.ca<single slash>~iron1951

I threw in the <double slash> and <single slash> to try and beat the system.

conquestofak
11-16-08, 03:30 AM
Hey there love the low miles on that Cimarron Id love to have the drivetrain and suspension. Do you ship to Alaska?? LOL
I may get some pics of my new baby up soon I just sold my other Sweethart today. My little Cabriolet has a new home I hope they treat her well!

cudaguy71
10-04-09, 05:07 PM
I have an 86 cimarron... the instrument cluster is electronic... It shows No Oil Pressurre and the Oil indicator is on... Any ideas?

How do you check the oil sender on this car?

Thank you, Eddie

COME OUT FROM HIDING CIMARRON OWNERS! :hide: NO MORE[/QUOTE]

fierobuffoon
12-30-10, 09:09 PM
I have a cimmaron and I need HELP. I was wondering where I can find out how to properly clean the throttle body of the 86 cimmaron. My step dad is a mechanic and hes too bizy to do it -_- anyone know how to ?
use choke and carb cleaner, that says safe for oxygen sensor use, while th ecar is cold, spray till satisfied, then leave alone for a few hours:hmm:

caddyfat2
03-09-11, 12:08 AM
I have my second 86 Cimarron and I'm not ashamed of it , I love it.