: First post, first problem... Radio buttons

tgeddings
10-16-08, 12:19 PM
I've been lurking in the background for a while getting a lot of good info. My 04 V has 25K miles and of course the factory warranty expired recently. I figured no problem, I do have the GMPP major guard plan. Well I took it to the dealer today to get the radio replaced due to all of the buttons being chipped. They told me that the warranty won't cover that. Has anyone else had this experience? Do I need to change dealers?
Thanks.

supernova_inc
10-16-08, 12:47 PM
I just pulled this from the GMPP page but I would definitly go to your contract and what it specifically says.

Parts and Labor Costs
Virtually every mechanical, electrical and electronic component of your vehicle is covered against failure even if it results from wear and tear. You're covered for parts and labor on:

Engine
Transmission / Transaxle
Front / Rear-wheel-drive assemblies
Fuel system
Engine cooling system
Heating and vehicle manufacturer-installed air conditioning systems
Electrical, computer and audio systems
Braking system components
Suspension (Front / Rear)
Steering system
High-tech components
Seals and gaskets
Safety assemblies

Unless they consider the radio buttons upholstry

nmaier2201
10-16-08, 12:48 PM
I also have that problem, but have never attempted to get it repaired under warranty or at a dealer at all. My buttons are not chipped really, but the paint is wearing off on some of them. This has happened in a lot of my GM vehicles, the last one being a 04 trailblazer. What I did to fix the problem (since at night the illumination shines through those worn spots and makes your bottons look like crap) was match the color and paint it in. It is virtually unnoticeable and your buttons look ok during the day and the night... of course over time that also will wear out... but if you get stiffed at the dealership you can always do that to fix the problem...as a temp solution....worked well for me.

Jon
10-16-08, 12:54 PM
Find another dealer. Or if all fails do it yourself with these instructions:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/radiobuttons/index.html

tgeddings
10-16-08, 09:44 PM
I'm waiting on a price from Lindsay on the buttons, I will probably try to paint them first. At least they did order a new diff for me...

Slithering_Joe
11-01-08, 11:37 AM
I'm interested in new buttons and knobs as well. Since mine is still under warranty, I may try the dealership but I am afraid I will be wasting my time for asking. It looks like crap.

deedubb
11-01-08, 01:57 PM
I'm interested in new buttons and knobs as well. Since mine is still under warranty, I may try the dealership but I am afraid I will be wasting my time for asking. It looks like crap.

I was afraid too but asked my dealer (i'm still under factory warranty). They are replacing the entire center unit (HVAC, NAV surround, buttons and Top Vents). Parts on order and will be installed next week! :bouncy:

They also are replacing my diff bushings!

mbiker97
11-01-08, 02:03 PM
My dealer replaced it no questions asked. It's a very common issue.

NormV
11-01-08, 06:27 PM
Black paint and clear coat spray works. I clear coated the left side and just painted over with black gloss on the right side. Not worried about the lighted buttons as I cannot see the light when my hand is over them. The camera flash highlights more than normal. :)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/Norm1988GT/V-parts009.jpg

Norm

CO_GTS
11-01-08, 10:08 PM
I used a black sharpie pen "magic marker" on the worn areas and it worked just great. Took all of about 30 seconds to do several buttons.

ronr
11-01-08, 10:24 PM
I had my radio replaced twice under warranty for the flaking buttons. Haven't had the problem with the 3rd radio. Wonder if they changed something?

Slithering_Joe
11-01-08, 11:13 PM
I used a black sharpie pen "magic marker" on the worn areas and it worked just great. Took all of about 30 seconds to do several buttons.
I've none that as a temp fix for now but the black sharpie really stands out against a charcoal colored button. Still looks like crap. I'll give it a try at the dealership. I'm always worried that the tech will screw up more in the process of disassembling.

CadzillaTN
11-03-08, 10:57 PM
GMPP Major Guard covers the radio due to peeling buttons, you simply pay the deductible. May want to travel to another dealer. My dealer told me they can get knobs too, if it just a knob. Peeling buttons call for replacement.

Also, under gmpp it pays to "pool" your problems into one visit, as multiple complaints are covered under one deductible.

If under factory warranty it should be no questions asked.

tgeddings
11-03-08, 11:36 PM
My local dealer told me the GMPP would only replace the radio if it quit working and would not cover the buttons. Would you mind telling where your dealer is located? I'm in SC. I would like to travel to Lindsay's to have several things done, but it is quite a drive from here.

smoothq
11-04-08, 11:26 AM
I've been lurking in the background for a while getting a lot of good info. My 04 V has 25K miles and of course the factory warranty expired recently. I figured no problem, I do have the GMPP major guard plan. Well I took it to the dealer today to get the radio replaced due to all of the buttons being chipped. They told me that the warranty won't cover that. Has anyone else had this experience? Do I need to change dealers?
Thanks.

Change dealers I just had my whole navi replaced because I said the buttons were worn out. And I also said that my cd changer sounds like it is shuffling all the time. It really didn't matter if it made shuffling noises or not cause mine didn't but my factory warrenty was up on halloween and they decided to just give me a new navi rather than replace the buttons. Try the whole shuffling thing with them Im sure they will replace it.

Slithering_Joe
11-17-08, 11:38 PM
I had my GPS/Radio/DIC replaced under warranty. Looks much nicer now. No more flaking and worn down buttons. If anybody else gets their unit replaced make sure they flash it for a V series.