: Exhaust spitting black soot...?

cirrusman
10-15-08, 03:13 AM
I own an '87 Fleetwood Brougham "y" vin#; It so happens that when outside temperature goes anything below 60 degrees, the car will start only a cylinder at a time; starts firing one for 5 seconds and then the next one, for about 5 seconds too, then the third one and so on until all cylinders fire up, and in the process, there comes a cloud of black soot and smoke out of the exhaust pipe... I don't know what can be causing this... the carb has been just recently replaced with a rebuilt one of the same specs than the old one, wires and plugs replaced about a year ago... any ideas will be hugely appreciated!

RocketFast321
10-15-08, 05:04 PM
check your cap and router button.

carnut
10-15-08, 05:07 PM
Have someone verify the choke system is adjusted to spec. Sounds like its adjusted too rich or the choke break is misadjusted. Black soot is normal on a cold morning mixed with water vapor, but if the soot is dry and black then the choke most likely needs a cold start adjustment.

cirrusman
10-16-08, 12:36 PM
Will do that... thanks for the suggestion!

cirrusman
10-16-08, 12:37 PM
I'll have that checked too... however; is it normal that the car starts one cylinder at a time when it's cold?