: thinking of selling

sam hamm
10-14-08, 05:00 PM
im thinking about selling my truck. ive been a hardcore bmw fam since i was 15 or so and already had 3 and i rode in a friends new c300 last night and loved the feel of having a bigger car. im going to go check out some 7 series today and see what i think about them. i dont even know what i could get for my truck anymore. any ideas?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/slammedsam100r100r/my%20car/DSC_0272.jpg

2003. 80k miles. routine services. new transmission. tan interior with some black add ons. stock navigation. lsun roof. owered. wheels. smoked headlights and tail lights. grille. tint. intake. 6k HID heads and fogs. full led interior and exterior lighting. painted bed covers. painted emblems.

Lu Scola
10-14-08, 09:44 PM
Just off the top of my head Im guessing around 10k-12k. that is average black book range for your truck in my area in the mid-atlantic region. It may vary in your area. You can get more selling in the paper..ect.

****whatever you do DO NOT BUY ANY 745 UNLESS IT IS A 2005 OR BETTER**** 2002-2004 ARE J-U-N-K!!! Lots of problems!!!! I

Trust me I have sold hundreds of them on our lot. Get a warranty. Carfax is a must. My buddy Chris is a service rep at Towson BMW. He told me that a lady came in with a 2002 745LI. She was having some problems, so she dropped it off for service. Her service bill was $13,000. She was out of warranty by 1500 miles. She had to get a loan from the bank just to get her car out of the shop. My buddy works at BMW and says that the 2002-04 745 are the biggest POS's that they have ever made. Just be careful when buying.

Spittin Game
10-14-08, 10:56 PM
What year is the EXT?

Rolex
10-14-08, 11:03 PM
You have a sharp looking truck, but I can see the attraction to the BMW 7 series. I have thought about looking at a 7 series or Mercedes E class before. I'm just more of a truck guy.

When you decide to sell you can get a fair market appraisal at NADA.com or Edmunds.com. Don't expect to re-coup a single dime on any of the aftermarket add-ons you put on your EXT. If you want to cut your costs you can part out the vehicle before selling, which is what most people do. Thing is, all the add-ons could also help draw buyers in. That doesn't mean they'll be willing to pay more though. In this market everybody is looking for a STEAL on a SUV.

Feel free to post it in our classifieds:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/

hcvone
10-15-08, 09:33 AM
Probably 10k to 16k is what you can get. When you start getting prices you may want to keep your truck, older 4 wheel or all wheel drives are not worth much today. If you get a 7 series BMW make sure it has a warranty, I have had two of them and without warranty you better have a huge bank account, the charges they bill back to the factory is unreal, that is why you see so many selling cheap after the warranty expires, they are great cars when running correctly. :)

Lu Scola
10-15-08, 11:58 AM
Exactly hcvone, the price of them 7's dropped dramaticly at the auction after the warranty expired. There was just a 2002 745LI that sold for 15,200 with 80K.

Cirefly
10-15-08, 01:25 PM
Where do you live, Sam?

g9s8r
10-15-08, 01:55 PM
Exactly hcvone, the price of them 7's dropped dramaticly at the auction after the warranty expired. There was just a 2002 745LI that sold for 15,200 with 80K.
Wow, thats a lot considering its auction price. I can get an 01 with 40k for about 17. I know thats not a fair comparison but I always think auction as cheap. Saving 3-4 k at an auction just doesnt seem like a lot. Just my opinion though.

im thinking about selling my truck. ive been a hardcore bmw fam since i was 15 or so and already had 3 and i rode in a friends new c300 last night and loved the feel of having a bigger car. im going to go check out some 7 series today and see what i think about them. i dont even know what i could get for my truck anymore. any ideas?

Unfortunately, I think a 7 series may be the only thing comparable. Of course I drive a standard transmission so maybe thats why I can't compare my vehicles. As weird as it sounds, I like driving the Cadillac over the BMW. At least for "around town" type of things. Call me weird but we all have our own opinions. I like driving the Cadillac so much that I am thinking about selling the BMW. But than again, I love my car so why let it go. HAHA. Good luck. I say just keep the truck and buy the BMW if you really like it. I don't think the money selling the truck with be worth the difference.

Cirefly
10-16-08, 01:50 PM
Wow, thats a lot considering its auction price. I can get an 01 with 40k for about 17. I know thats not a fair comparison but I always think auction as cheap. Saving 3-4 k at an auction just doesnt seem like a lot. Just my opinion though.

I'm a dealer and believe it or not, auction price is usually just slightly average trade in book (NADA). You RARELY save more then $4,000. Usually a vehicle will have to be in rough condition and require reconditioning to bring it back to par.

BTW - as on 1 minute ago the average MMR (Manheim market report) auction value on a 2002 745LI is $16,000 in average condition, as high as $18,600 in above average condition - and that's with 85 cranks on average. These numbers are based of of the 56 most recent sales in the Manheim auction circuit.

2002 745I are a bit cheaper, $14,300 average to $16,800 above average with 86k miles avg. This is based on 58 of the most recent transactions.

And they didn't have 745's in 2001.

g9s8r
10-17-08, 01:49 PM
Maybe it was a 740i or il. Cant remember. Sorry, I am not a buyer or reseller of cars. But, I have been to a few auctions years back and remember most of the cars sold, sold for around 60% +/- of kbb. I guess times have changed. Not much profit in buying from an auction than. lol.

Cirefly
10-17-08, 02:42 PM
Maybe it was a 740i or il. Cant remember. Sorry, I am not a buyer or reseller of cars. But, I have been to a few auctions years back and remember most of the cars sold, sold for around 60% +/- of kbb. I guess times have changed. Not much profit in buying from an auction than. lol.

Yeah that's certainly not how it plays out in today's market. Unfortunately for me :)

KBB is a worthless resource IMO - their values are way off base and typically much higher than a more real-to-life guide such as NADA.

g9s8r
10-18-08, 01:46 PM
Thats what I have been told. When I bought my Ext, I used a combo of Edmunds, NADA and KBB to get a feel for the "going rate". I got a good deal off of what "value" was come to find out 3-4 months down the line its sucking. Oh well. I am happy with it.