: Am I crazy? Tracking down a Sungate Windshield 93-96 FWB

1990CaddyBrougham
10-14-08, 01:19 PM
So i called in a claim on my windshield in the 96. Its the original Sungate by PPG. I think its original from mile one. The lack of vision with all the little chips from the years, and 175k is crazy!

From what i have found on the internet its going to be difficult to find, but not totally out of question. I have been calling around to various shops, trying to find that company who has one sitting under layers of dust on "that rack that hasnt been touched in the attic of the shop"

But i thought id ask here, where im sure its been in question. Maby someone knows a company that had a few when there own needed replacing?

For those who dont know what a Sungate is, im sure you have seen them. I didnt before i bought the 96. Its windshild with a refelctive sort of tint to it. Looking out looks the same, but in certain angles and light looking at the car looks like a pinkish/purple mirror tinted windshield.
PPG made them, and still boast about them on their website, with product info and what not.

http://impala.syllicom.com/Mammoth_Cave.jpg

N0DIH
10-15-08, 10:33 AM
I was wanting one for my Fleetwood (one of the 5 options I don't have....), has to help knock some heat down in the car, especially in the southern climates. If you are into radar detectors then you might not want one.... They block the radar signal and you might find you get more tickets.....

1990CaddyBrougham
10-15-08, 11:54 PM
Well I contacted PPG, and they have since stoped making them from what i was told, but gave me the information to a company who i belive is somehow associated with PPG's glass buisness.

I have the information at work at my desk. But aparently this comany has about 5-600 of them in their warehouses across the country. Can be bought outright for around $350.

My_favorite_Brougham
10-16-08, 02:00 AM
You might want to stock up on two or three, for the future or future Fleetwoods. Who knows, these may be scarcer in the future and fetch a pretty penny.

the blur
03-03-11, 06:37 PM
can you post the PPG sun gate contact information. I need one for my 96 SS impala.

thefleetwoodguy
03-03-11, 08:05 PM
sungate w/s are awesome!
in the fwb they protect that big dash pad
not to mention look really
friggin cool
I love the purplish hue
if you had an original eq/sungate
and it gets cracked, the insurance company
(assuming you have glass coverage)
has to replace it with a s/g

N0DIH
03-03-11, 08:23 PM
I found several used ones at junkyards. If you can get them and have them put in by someone who won't break it, that is a decent way to go. And they might have a good dashpad if the car is still there!

jayoldschool
03-03-11, 10:00 PM
My Roadmaster wagon has a Sungate. I'll cut it out and put it in my SS this summer when the wagon gives up the parts.

For those on the search, here is the info you need for a Sungate:

Sungate
Sunshade
PPG Duplate
Laminated
AS-1 28 7
DOT 18 M418
1 4

Any glass place should be able to order a Sungate with that info. NOTE: that info is for the B Body Sungate! I don't have the info for the D body (Cadillac) Sungate. Can someone post it, please?

cadillacmike68
03-04-11, 09:08 PM
Well I contacted PPG, and they have since stoped making them from what i was told, but gave me the information to a company who i belive is somehow associated with PPG's glass buisness.

I have the information at work at my desk. But aparently this comany has about 5-600 of them in their warehouses across the country. Can be bought outright for around $350.

Please post the info when you can - a lot of folks, including me want one of these. :cool: