: Mallett--a new diff

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 12:58 PM
My 05 V is ready for a new Diff. :( The dealership has it ordered and they said it could take a while to get it from GM.

The car is from Mallett. It's #006 that year. It already has the Mallett rear wheel-hop stabilizer system. It has done it's job as far as wheel hop but the rear end does whine really bad around 50 to 60 mph that's why it's getting replaced.

1. While I'm waiting is there any other things I should have them do (recalls, TSBs) while the car is having rear end work already?

2. Do I need to ask for the 06-07' rear or will that be the one I get? I have heard they are a little stronger than the 05-06' rear.

3. Should I have them put in new half shafts while the rear is out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

50 4Ever
10-14-08, 01:30 PM
I'm still on the original diff but had the new bushings installed and a new radiator. My "LOW COOLANT" message would come on about twice a year, there is a TSB out on the early '05's about a leaky radiator.

:thumbsup:

CTSV_510
10-14-08, 01:48 PM
Your dealer can only get the current model differential, so don't worry about them putting an old '05 diff in your car.

As ewill3rd has stated, from what he has seen there haven't been any breakages of the "'08" design of the differential.

This might be a good opportunity to have them replace one of your halfshafts with the beefier diameter 06+ half shafts and do experiment for the rest of us. ;)

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 02:01 PM
Your dealer can only get the current model differential, so don't worry about them putting an old '05 diff in your car.

As ewill3rd has stated, from what he has seen there haven't been any breakages of the "'08" design of the differential.

This might be a good opportunity to have them replace one of your halfshafts with the beefier diameter 06+ half shafts and do experiment for the rest of us. ;)

:yeah:
+1 on the one half shaft

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 02:58 PM
I was thinking that replacing one of the half shaves would be a good idea. Do you think one side would be better than the other? :hmm:

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 03:04 PM
I'm still on the original diff but had the new bushings installed and a new radiator. My "LOW COOLANT" message would come on about twice a year, there is a TSB out on the early '05's about a leaky radiator.

:thumbsup:

My "low coolant" light was coming on every time I would start the car. They said it was the relay in the coolant over flow container so they replaced the complete assembly. Still on the stock radiator. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it persists or not.

50 4Ever
10-14-08, 03:14 PM
My "low coolant" light was coming on every time I would start the car. They said it was the relay in the coolant over flow container so they replaced the complete assembly. Still on the stock radiator. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it persists or not.

When my low coolant message would come on I was actually low on coolant. As I remember the text of the TSB, before GM made Reed remove them from the FAQ's, said something like check the lower radiator outlet for a slow leak, if one is found replace the radiator. Sounds like you got the message even when your coolant level was fine.

SkullV
10-14-08, 03:33 PM
My 05 V is ready for a new Diff. :( The dealership has it ordered and they said it could take a while to get it from GM.

The car is from Mallett. It's #006 that year. It already has the Mallett rear wheel-hop stabilizer system. It has done it's job as far as wheel hop but the rear end does whine really bad around 50 to 60 mph that's why it's getting replaced.

1. While I'm waiting is there any other things I should have them do (recalls, TSBs) while the car is having rear end work already?

2. Do I need to ask for the 06-07' rear or will that be the one I get? I have heard they are a little stronger than the 05-06' rear.

3. Should I have them put in new half shafts while the rear is out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would check and see if your car had the cryo treated diff from Mallett because that is not something the dealership is going to be able to get.

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 03:54 PM
I was thinking that replacing one of the half shaves would be a good idea. Do you think one side would be better than the other? :hmm:

The RIGHT side (passenger side)

I would check and see if your car had the cryo treated diff from Mallett because that is not something the dealership is going to be able to get.

:yeah: if your old one was cryo'd, your new diff case won't be as strong (supposedly) What model/year is your current diff from?

2004ctsv
10-14-08, 04:08 PM

I also thought that Mallet cryo treated the differentials in their upgrades.

Maybe freeze dried diff's aren't the answer either

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 04:24 PM
The RIGHT side (passenger side)

:yeah: if your old one was cryo'd, your new diff case won't be as strong (supposedly) What model/year is your current diff from?

I called Mallett Cars and mine is not the cryo treated diff.

This is the original diff from 05' with 17,200 miles.

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 04:27 PM
Then by all means, warranty that one out!! :)

I would replace the right side axle/halfshaft with the 07 model while they have the diff out. Let us know if it helps!!

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 04:30 PM
I just returned from the dealership and asked them to quote me a price on the passanger side half shaft. I thinking the labor should be free cause the diff is out and the new one is on the floor ready to be put in with everything still apart.

I will definately let you guys know if this seems to help with the wheel hop issue. I really hope it does!! :yup:

urbanski
10-14-08, 04:51 PM
what good with the larger halfshaft (and the theory of the V2 fix) do if he already has the mallett wh fix kit

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 05:10 PM
Wasn't cryo'ing his diff part of the Mallett AWH fix??

From Mallet's site.......http://www.mallettcars.com/ctsv-conversionoptions.htm#suspension
NOTE: Mallett rear wheel-hop stabilizer system is not available as a stand-alone kit for catalog sale.

Maybe he doesn't even have the Mallett kit?

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 05:58 PM
Wasn't cryo'ing his diff part of the Mallett AWH fix??

From Mallet's site.......http://www.mallettcars.com/ctsv-conversionoptions.htm#suspension
NOTE: Mallett rear wheel-hop stabilizer system is not available as a stand-alone kit for catalog sale.

Maybe he doesn't even have the Mallett kit?

I just got off the phone with Chuck Mallett to see if the wheel hop kits comes with the cyro or not. I wanted to talk to him personaly to make sure I had my information right. The cyro is a $600.00 option and when this car was built the original owner did not opt for it. So yes the car has the wheel hop kit and no it didn't have the optional cyro treatment. :thumbsup:

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 06:09 PM
Ok. Now I'm confused. My dealership just got back to me about the new half shaft and said they are the same from 04 thru 07. Same part numbers. :( Does anybody know if they are the same or not and what the part numbers for the 07's are? I would be interested in putting both on this car and not just the passanger side.

jashearer
10-14-08, 06:27 PM
What dealership are you working with?

Community Motors has caused me nothing but trouble with the wife's V and I actually ended up having to drive to Oelwein to Birdnow to get them to fix my Steering Position Sensor that had been faulty for 3 months...

I wondered if the Mallet I see running around town was a member here :)

Beautiful car man. I think you drive by my office (JD Engine Works) every day. I've been campaigning for a new exhaust but my wife hates how loud the borla xr-1 is on my C5 so she won't let me touch her car.

Jay

Chef
10-14-08, 07:47 PM
Don't skimp on lean meat because it doesn't taste better it just makes you feel like you're eating healthy - go for the beefier half shafts.

Remember Chuck has a Dana rear and spent close to 20k on it...I still may have his reluctant to tell me e-mail from a ways back...

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 08:51 PM
Don't skimp on lean meat because it doesn't taste better it just makes you feel like you're eating healthy - go for the beefier half shafts.

Remember Chuck has a Dana rear and spent close to 20k on it...I still may have his reluctant to tell me e-mail from a ways back...

What beefier half shafts do you mean? I talked to another GM dealer and they told me the same thing about the part #'s being the same for 04' thru 07' Do you have part #'s that say different or is there a aftermarket company I could use?

scoobiedoo1
10-14-08, 09:03 PM
What dealership are you working with?

Community Motors has caused me nothing but trouble with the wife's V and I actually ended up having to drive to Oelwein to Birdnow to get them to fix my Steering Position Sensor that had been faulty for 3 months...

I wondered if the Mallet I see running around town was a member here :)

Beautiful car man. I think you drive by my office (JD Engine Works) every day. I've been campaigning for a new exhaust but my wife hates how loud the borla xr-1 is on my C5 so she won't let me touch her car.

Jay

Yep, that would be me. :D What color is your C5 and your V and do you belong to the Cedar Valley Corvette club. My parents go to most of there get together's on Wed and I've been there with them a couple times. Don't think I've ever been there with the Mallett though.

I'm working with Mike Taylor and he has been very helpful. My parent have had their SRX in there and have had good luck too. I suppose it all depend who you get that day. :thumbsup:

jashearer
10-14-08, 09:47 PM
Yep, that would be me. :D What color is your C5 and your V and do you belong to the Cedar Valley Corvette club. My parents go to most of there get together's on Wed and I've been there with them a couple times. Don't think I've ever been there with the Mallett though.

I'm working with Mike Taylor and he has been very helpful. My parent have had their SRX in there and have had good luck too. I suppose it all depend who you get that day. :thumbsup:

My C5 is pewter with polished rims... I'm on the e-mail list but never been to an event. I followed you around one day when I was in it, I think you were by Lowes and then drove up San Marnan and turned up ansborough.

The V is black, I think the only other V in the area, besides the regular CTS with 20s and a V grill. My wife said she sees followed you a couple times.

Shoot me an e-mail next time you go, I'd like to check out your V :)

Shearer&Jay&A@John&Deere.com

Without the & :)

scoobiedoo1
10-15-08, 12:35 AM
My C5 is pewter with polished rims... I'm on the e-mail list but never been to an event. I followed you around one day when I was in it, I think you were by Lowes and then drove up San Marnan and turned up ansborough.

The V is black, I think the only other V in the area, besides the regular CTS with 20s and a V grill. My wife said she sees followed you a couple times.

Shoot me an e-mail next time you go, I'd like to check out your V :)

Shearer&Jay&A@John&Deere.com

Without the & :)

I will do that.

The meets are on Thursdays but this week I won't be able to make it.

I remember heading up Ridgeway Ave one day for work and must have saw your wife taking a right onto Cedar Heights Dr at the stop light. Waved cause I knew it was the first V I had seen in the area. She must know her cars cause she waved back. :thumbsup:

V-Love
10-15-08, 01:24 AM

CHEF..... glad your still lurkin'.
Its great that by the time the new V is on the lot, you'll be sick of that whiney BMW and ready for the low note GROWWL!
See ya soon.

Knuguy
10-15-08, 01:52 AM
I have heard that the GTO and the V's Diff are similar, the GTO though is mush stronger. Anyone have any info to back that up. I got that through the grapevine and the source was a caddy tech. I also know the GTO guys are going with one larger half shaft will success. Even maggied GTO's are running them without issue.

lollygagger8
10-15-08, 09:56 AM
I have heard that the GTO and the V's Diff are similar, the GTO though is mush stronger. Anyone have any info to back that up. I got that through the grapevine and the source was a caddy tech. I also know the GTO guys are going with one larger half shaft will success. Even maggied GTO's are running them without issue.

GTO diffs mount differently than V's. They also have wheelhop just like us as well, but they are using small airbags to help combat this.

I'd still like to know the different part numbers for halfshafts. There IS a difference between the years, cuz I remember StealthV selling some BEEFIER ones (later models) on his big liquidation sale.

Scoob: You only need one half shaft that is different size. What you are trying to do is hopefully "prevent oscilation" and transfer the hopping energy to the case. (grenading) Having two different sizes is what is supposed to help with this (as evidence with the 09's) Most have said that the passenger side shaft is the one to replace. One of the shafts is longer than the other and if memory serves, the driver's side is the shorter one of the two. Somebody chime in if I have it backwards please.

scoobiedoo1
10-15-08, 02:42 PM
:2thumbs:
GTO diffs mount differently than V's. They also have wheelhop just like us as well, but they are using small airbags to help combat this.

I'd still like to know the different part numbers for halfshafts. There IS a difference between the years, cuz I remember StealthV selling some BEEFIER ones (later models) on his big liquidation sale.

Scoob: You only need one half shaft that is different size. What you are trying to do is hopefully "prevent oscilation" and transfer the hopping energy to the case. (grenading) Having two different sizes is what is supposed to help with this (as evidence with the 09's) Most have said that the passenger side shaft is the one to replace. One of the shafts is longer than the other and if memory serves, the driver's side is the shorter one of the two. Somebody chime in if I have it backwards please.

You have it right. The driver's side is the shorter of the two half shafts.

All that I have found from talking to a couple of dealer's in my town is there isn't any difference in part #'s for these. They are the same for the 04 through 07.

Like I said before if anyone has a part # from a aftermarket company for a improved half shaft I would look into trying it out to see if the idea actually has any merit. :thumbsup:

lollygagger8
10-15-08, 02:44 PM
Call Luke and ask him! He is the guru on the parts subject :worship:

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
10-15-08, 04:13 PM
the 2006-2007 V came with larger diameter axles. GM then decided that the redesigned axle was going to be the only replacement no matter what year you have so in the parts catalog it now shows the same axles for 04-07. I sell the pair for $866.00 plus shipping if anyone is interested........

scoobiedoo1
10-15-08, 04:28 PM
the 2006-2007 V came with larger diameter axles. GM then decided that the redesigned axle was going to be the only replacement no matter what year you have so in the parts catalog it now shows the same axles for 04-07. I sell the pair for $866.00 plus shipping if anyone is interested........

Thanks for explaining that.

1- When I talked to you I forgot to ask how long it would take to get these?

2- Are they in stock with you or can you ship them direct to me from GM and do they have them in stock?

You were very helpful and it was nice talking to you. :cheers:

lollygagger8
10-15-08, 04:29 PM
Thanks Luke, how much for just the drivers side axleshaft???

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
10-15-08, 05:09 PM
Thanks for explaining that.

1- When I talked to you I forgot to ask how long it would take to get these?

2- Are they in stock with you or can you ship them direct to me from GM and do they have them in stock?

You were very helpful and it was nice talking to you. :cheers:

GM has them in stock at a warehouse that takes about a week to get things to me. drop ship is not a good idea from GM, they dont seem to have a very good handle on it

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
10-15-08, 05:11 PM
Thanks Luke, how much for just the drivers side axleshaft???

$425.00 plus shipping

scoobiedoo1
10-15-08, 09:16 PM
GM has them in stock at a warehouse that takes about a week to get things to me. drop ship is not a good idea from GM, they dont seem to have a very good handle on it

My dealer wants to finish up the car tomorrow so it doesn't look like ordering them at this time is going to work out. :crying: I was really wanting to try at least the passenger side.

StealthCTSVJJL
10-16-08, 10:30 AM
I wonder if Luke would know if the difference in size from the 05 and 06 halfshafts is as large as the difference in the sizes of the V2 halfshafts, this could be a factor in it's effectiveness at reducing the oscillations that cause wheel hop.

lollygagger8
10-16-08, 11:19 AM
2009: The one on the driver side has a hollow shaft that's 55mm in diameter, while the one on the passenger side is 35mm in diameter.

2004/2005: also have smaller 1.25" halfshafts. 2006 increased the halfshaft size to 1.50".