: Buying a truck; but which one? HELP!

Destroyer
10-13-08, 07:43 PM
Sold my '97 Chevy S10 today because I need a bigger truck. While I dont want the higher gas bill, I still need a bigger truck. I'm looking to buy a second hand truck in cash. I'm looking to spend up to $10k but I'm a little flexible on that. My choices are:

Dodge Ram quad cam '02-'05 (yes even Hemi's are within that price range)

Ford F150: newer style '03-up. Can get a stripped NEW '08 F150 for only $11,300 at the dealer. Would you go for a new stripped model non extended cab or a second hand truck with more toys?.

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra: My favorite of the bunch and also the most economical of the bunch.

Seems the Chevy's are a bit costlier than the Dodge and Ford counterparts, worth it?. Which would you pick and why?.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-13-08, 07:50 PM
I'd go with the nicest used F-150 that you could find, as long as it is the newest style. Those things are great looking trucks, and their drivetrains are pretty rock solid. The GM offerings from those years are solid also, but I never really liked the way they looked, and I wouldn't take a Ram if you gave it to me.

c5 rv
10-13-08, 07:51 PM
I had a 99 and 04 Sierra and liked them both. Watch for cold start knock on 99-02? engines. My BIL had a Dodge diesel and he said it was a nice truck - except for the interior.

ryannel2003
10-13-08, 08:06 PM
We've had three GMT-800 trucks in my family and all have been great driving, reliable trucks. Only issue we had was an transmission in an '01 model, but other than that really great. The best thing about the trucks IMO is they don't drive like they're big. At point I could have easily mistaken them for a car. I never got that feeling in the F-150 and Ram.

LS1Mike
10-13-08, 08:23 PM
I had an 04 Silverado and put 72,000 miles on it. All I ever had to do was oil, gas and 1 shock mount. Cold slap at startup is just that, noisey until warm.
It was an LSx problem but was fixed with different ring less clearance rings later on, has never caused a problem in the trucks, F-bodies, Y-bodies or Vs. The 5.3 trucks make better power and get better mileage then the 4.6 counter parts.There is even a 4.8 LSx that does welll also. With exhaust, CAI, exhaust and tune on the highway going 70 I would average 22 mpg in my 5.3 extra cab short bed 4x4 truck.
Remeber you get what you pay for and that is why the GMs cost more.
On that note you really couldn't go wrong with what Ford has out there either. I just pefer the Pushrod motor for a truck.
Just depends on what your are looking for.
I agree with Chad, no Dodges, unless you get a screaming deal on Cummins.

Destroyer
10-13-08, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't take a Ram if you gave it to me.
Any reason or just a general dislike?:confused: To me its definately the toughest looking truck out there but my reasons for not wanting one is that A: its a Chrysler and B: fuel economy is the worst of the 3.

PatrickHMS
10-13-08, 08:28 PM
I have an '06 F-150 extended cab, 4.6 V8, tilt, cruise, loaded, power everything except seats, and I can deal with that.

Solid and heavy like a truck, drives and rides like a nice car. Smoothest riding and driving truck I have ever had (better than most cars I have owned), and gets better gas mileage than my '06 SRX AWD V6.

I got 247,000 dependable / no problem miles out of my last 1997 F-150, so at this point I wouldn't have any other kind of truck.

But you need to get what YOU like, life is too short to be driving something you do not enjoy owning and driving....

Destroyer
10-13-08, 09:23 PM
I'm going to look at this tomorrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230300070283

Looks pretty sweet to me BUT since the general consensus seems to be against the Dodge I'd like to know the reasoning. IF it is everything they say it is I'd probably offer $13k.

Submariner409
10-13-08, 09:50 PM
My late '04 F150 Extended cab 4.6 4x4 is a great truck. Literally zero problems (an LED is out in the driver's window panel), gets a shade over 20 mpg on the road with 87 octane, uses zero 5W-20 oil, (I'm not kidding - zero), comfortable, quiet cab, great on tires (1st replacement at 49,000), room in the rear seats, absolutely no complaints. Same as PatrickHMS..........and my 4th F150, same experience.

Eric Kahn
10-13-08, 10:06 PM
Good truck lose the rims and go back to stock, those tires and rims compromise the load capacity of the truck, they are ugly too :)

Destroyer
10-13-08, 10:14 PM
My late '04 F150 Extended cab 4.6 4x4 is a great truck. Literally zero problems (an LED is out in the driver's window panel), gets a shade over 20 mpg on the road with 87 octane, uses zero 5W-20 oil, (I'm not kidding - zero), comfortable, quiet cab, great on tires (1st replacement at 49,000), room in the rear seats, absolutely no complaints. Same as PatrickHMS..........and my 4th F150, same experience.Hmm, that is good testimony to the reliability of the 4.6. I'll check out the Dodge tomorrow and if its not as described I'll check out a few Fords. I have grown fond of the modular 4.6 but I'd probably get one with a 5.4 Triton.

Destroyer
10-13-08, 10:16 PM
Good truck lose the rims and go back to stock, those tires and rims compromise the load capacity of the truck, they are ugly too :)
I'm not a "bling bling" kind of guy but I thought that truck looks pretty sharp with the wheels. I wouldn't put them on if I bought a stock one but since they are already there........................

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-13-08, 10:43 PM
If I was gonna get the Ford, I'd definitely go for the 5.4L Triton. The 4.6L seems a bit small for a full size truck...I think it's the smallest V-8 offered on a full size truck (4.8L GM, 4.7L Dodge, 4.7L Toyota, 5.6L Nissan), and even the 5.4 isn't all THAT big. GM's 5.3L always seemed a bit small to me...they should have stuck with the 350 IMO.

Regarding the Rams, I sorta liked the 1994-01 style, but when they revised it in '02 or whenever, it always looked "too much" to me. Like Dodge tried too hard to make the truck look masculine and manly, but instead it came out as being over the top and cheesy. I've driven a few made before the '06 redesign, and they always seemed very tall to me, especially when driving it. It's like the dash is too high and far out, and the driver's seat is too low, but I suppose if you had a Laramie with power seats it wouldn't be so bad. But other than that, the interior is horrible, especially the quality of build and quality of materials. And I don't generally like modern Chryslers.

But if you could find one with a Cummins, in Laramie trim, that would be worth looking at.

LS1Mike
10-13-08, 10:51 PM
My understanding is that the Dodge interiors just don't hold up well. I haven't heard anything good about the interiors anyway. As far as drivetrain. I couldn't tell you.
I know Mopar has always made a good transmission. They have just updated them over the years so I would think in that aspect you would be good to go.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-13-08, 10:58 PM
I think Dodge's RWD trannys always held up well, but their FWD ones were the ones to watch out for, especially in the mid '90s Caravans and mid/full size sedans. Am I right? And I've heard from previous Chrysler owners that most Chryslers, for whatever reason, use more gas than a comparable Ford/GM vehicle.

Destroyer
10-13-08, 11:00 PM
Regarding the Rams, I sorta liked the 1994-01 style, but when they revised it in '02 or whenever, it always looked "too much" to me. Like Dodge tried too hard to make the truck look masculine and manly, but instead it came out as being over the top and cheesy.
Well we are gonna disagree here. I think the newer ones look MUCH better than the older ones. As far as the interior goes, I am 6'3 and have driven a RAM. I found them to be quite comfy for a tall man like me. I was more interested in knowing if there was some mechanical reason not to buy one (i.e. N* headgaskets, etc). Styling is of course subjective and I happen to like the styling of the RAM trucks. I DO think they look more masculine then the Ford or GM trucks but I am led to believe the GM trucks are better overall.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-13-08, 11:02 PM
No mechanical reason, just aesthetics. I trust the Dodge's drivetrain, and LOVE the Cummins.

Playdrv4me
10-13-08, 11:36 PM
Everything I have ever heard about Dodge truck transmissions from guys who *REALLY* use them hard like a truck is MEANT to be used is that they are utter garbage. Jeep transmissions also frequently need rebuilds so it stands to reason the truck units do as well.

I'd say Silverado or Sierra.

Southern-Hospitality
10-13-08, 11:57 PM
I would definitely hop on that RAM, Sell the wheels and get 2 grand back (unless they are some cheap junk)

Plus, it's leather and how bad as are LCDS? cooommmme on buy it.

Jesda
10-14-08, 12:10 AM
http://www.myride.com/images/vehicle/2006/Honda/Ridgeline/oem/06.ridgeline.57_(400x300).jpg

Honda made a parody of a truck.

Florian
10-14-08, 12:12 AM
No mechanical reason, just aesthetics. I trust the Dodge's drivetrain, and LOVE the Cummins.

I sell to all major automakers. I bought an F150 over every one. Why? First, the 5.4L Triton is a solid motor. No problems in all my miles. The Ford has better underpinnings than all other pickups. The exterior is no frills (I like that). I drove them all (except Toyota...wont buy Japanese) and the Ford is the quietest, most solid of them all. The interior of my -150 is still great and isnt as plastic-y as the GM or Dodge...

But, to each his own....I feel the Ford is the best built truck around, and right now they are dirt cheap.

F

Cliff8928
10-14-08, 02:01 AM
If you haven't seen and/or driven one, I would completely recommend a GMT800 Silverado/Sierra with Quadrasteer. It completely changes the way it handles and drives. My mom drives a '02 with it and the system has had no issues aside from a wire that got snagged on a branch or something.

LS1Mike
10-14-08, 02:16 AM
Everything I have ever heard about Dodge truck transmissions from guys who *REALLY* use them hard like a truck is MEANT to be used is that they are utter garbage. Jeep transmissions also frequently need rebuilds so it stands to reason the truck units do as well.

I'd say Silverado or Sierra.

That is true about the Jeep transmissions. Not sure why. All my FWD Mopar stuff always did real well even with over 15 lbs of boost.
I would assume they are using the same stuff and not using the updated 727 like they used to.

RightTurn
10-14-08, 08:34 AM
Drive 'em all; pick the one YOU like best. They are all good trucks. The End.

Sandy
10-14-08, 11:06 AM
I gotta be different - Buy a GMC

Destroyer
10-14-08, 09:00 PM
Well, went to many dealerships and drove all kinds of trucks from GM, Ford and Dodge. Ironically, the one I thought I'd like the best is the one I liked the least........the Chevy. I drove an '00 and an '04. Interior reminded me of the interiors of both my conversion vans. Not a bad thing but not too much of a good thing either. Drove a couple of Ford F150's. Nice trucks but I didn't notice any difference in quality over the Dodge's or GM's, still, they were nicer looking than the Dodge or GM trucks on the inside by a pretty wide margin. Finally I drove a few Dodge RAMS. Not bad, interior is plasticky and not of high quality but still on par with the competition even though its not as aesthetically pleasing inside as the Ford.

After taking all things into consideration and after driving all the different trucks I bought an '05 Hemi Ram Daytona Edition quad cab (damn thats a mouthful) w/39k miles. Beautiful condition and has full length headers, exhaust, CAI intake, 2 tone black/grey leather interior and Pioneer DVD pop out player, amps, subs, air horns. Pretty cool truck IMO. Not the best but definately the toughest looking and its more "me" than the other trucks. This isn't mine but it looks just like it (same color too) except mine has black 20" custom wheels that I dont particularly care for:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/1fd0_3.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/1cef_3.jpg

Sandy
10-14-08, 09:07 PM
A neighbor of mine has THAT EXACT truck, but in Copper-Orange Metallic to match his Copper-Orange Plymouth Prowler.
(He's 50-ish and never married and a CPA). Swears by MOPAR. Has never owned anything but MOPARs
Traded a Viper for the Prowler.

Destroyer
10-14-08, 09:17 PM
A neighbor of mine has THAT EXACT truck, but in Copper-Orange Metallic to match his Copper-Orange Plymouth Prowler.
(He's 50-ish and never married and a CPA). Swears by MOPAR. Has never owned anything but MOPARs
Traded a Viper for the Prowler.I've seen that color, pretty sweet and I would definately buy one in that color!.

BTW: a Viper for a Prowler?. Sounds like a bad trade to me

caddycruiser
10-14-08, 09:30 PM
Cool. Every truck has its pluses and minuses, for sure, and in the end it just matters that you get what stirs you and fits the needs, for the right price.

Sounds like you got that:thumbsup:

Destroyer
10-14-08, 09:43 PM
Cool. Every truck has its pluses and minuses, for sure, and in the end it just matters that you get what stirs you and fits the needs, for the right price.

Sounds like you got that:thumbsup:$13,000 OTD. Not bad!. What I do when visiting these dealers is leave them an offer.............a bad offer. My truck was advertised at $15k. I told the salesman I liked certain things about it and not others. I told him I was leaving the dealership after going for a test drive and checking out other trucks and my offer is $12.5k out the door. Told him to call me back ONLY if offer is accepted and NOT for some bullshit counter offer. Well he calls back with $14.5k OTD (total including tax, dealer fee and tag, etc.) . Nah! I said try again and know that I am out looking at other rides as we speak. He calls back as says $13k Out the door. I said fine, deal was made. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-14-08, 11:02 PM
I actually like those Rams with the big fat stripe and spoiler. I know putting a spoiler on a truck is counter intuitive, but damnit it looks cool!

tman2093
10-15-08, 12:33 AM
We picked up an 01 silverado in 2003 for about 10900. Had 135000 miles on it, but in immaculate condition. It has had NO problems and was obviously well treated in its past ownership. It has the 5.3, with plenty of power, and a 3.73 gear ratio, so it tows amazingly. Like Ryan said on page one, it drives like its not as big as it it really is. Ours has the piston slap on cold starts, happens when the temp hits 45 or below for us. It's just a niusance, no real damage is happening. It's a solid truck though, ***** stars :)

Destroyer
10-15-08, 06:59 AM
We picked up an 01 silverado in 2003 for about 10900. Had 135000 miles on it, but in immaculate condition. It has had NO problems and was obviously well treated in its past ownership. It has the 5.3, with plenty of power, and a 3.73 gear ratio, so it tows amazingly. Like Ryan said on page one, it drives like its not as big as it it really is. Ours has the piston slap on cold starts, happens when the temp hits 45 or below for us. It's just a niusance, no real damage is happening. It's a solid truck though, ***** stars :)
The '00 Silverado I drove had the piston slap. Just hit 100k miles and that was the reason I didn't buy it. It was also tastefully customized. After reading your post and seeing how much luck you had with yours @135k miles I probably would have reconsidered my decision not to buy the '00 and saved myself a lot of money.

Playdrv4me
10-15-08, 10:46 AM
Important to remember about Piston Slap on the GM trucks also is that it should not last more than a minute or so at most after cold startup (also referred to as "cold-start knock"). If it continues doing it when the truck is running the tolerances in that motor are either way too loose or something else is wrong.

tman2093
10-15-08, 11:28 AM
Ours still knocks a little after warmup, but it only sounds like a diesel for the first minute or two. I neglected to mention that our truck rolled over 150000 recently. it was 135000 in 2003. We don't drive it much, unfortunately.

ryannel2003
10-15-08, 09:40 PM
Hmm never noticed it on our '01 and '05 Yukon XL's. I had a pretty bad one on my Seville that suddenly disappeared? Never heard it on a truck though. Guess I should listen more closely next time I'm driving one.

caddycruiser
10-15-08, 11:19 PM
Hmm never noticed it on our '01 and '05 Yukon XL's. I had a pretty bad one on my Seville that suddenly disappeared? Never heard it on a truck though. Guess I should listen more closely next time I'm driving one.

Our '02 Avalanche with the 5.3L had it ever so slightly once in a while--mainly noticed because I knew what to listen for--after some miles. Traded that at 33k for an '04 Suburban with the slightly revised 5.3L and it never had a tick, click, etc. of any sort in 56k miles until trade.

Some had it worse than others, and it was an issue, but workable.

Destroyer
10-16-08, 11:10 AM
Well here's what I picked for better or for worse. Took some pics at the beach this morning before I went for my bike ride. Aside from a very small dent on the back bumper this truck is like new in and out. It is loud because of the headers/aftermaket cats/exhaust but I kinda like that. Came with the Pioneer DVD/CD/MP3/Nav player too.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06037.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06036.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06025.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06024.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06031.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06030.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06033.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06035.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06034.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06038.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06039.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-16-08, 11:18 AM
I really like that Daytona package. It adds to the "alpha male" look of the already very "alpha" Ram.

It actually reminds me of the PU$$Y Wagon from Kill Bill 1. :histeric: :)

c5 rv
10-16-08, 12:40 PM
I hope that spoiler comes off easily so you can actually use it as a truck.

Destroyer
10-16-08, 01:41 PM
I hope that spoiler comes off easily so you can actually use it as a truck.Looks like 4 bolts. I'm gonna have to remove it cause it just gets in the way. They should have made it MUCH taller or not put it on at all. Sucks cause I think it looks pretty cool. :banghead:

AlBundy
10-16-08, 03:21 PM
:thumbsup:

Mark0101
10-16-08, 03:30 PM
you have got to post some videos of the train horn in use by scaring people off. BTW nice truck, so this would be your 8th vehicle this year...lol

Destroyer
10-16-08, 09:50 PM
you have got to post some videos of the train horn in use by scaring people off. BTW nice truck, so this would be your 8th vehicle this year...lolThose horns are crazy!. There's a whole air compressor under the truck to pump them up. I have never seen or heard anything like it.

RightTurn
10-16-08, 10:33 PM
Nice truck...but I really hate the spoiler. :suspense: Enjoy your new ride.

eldorado99
10-17-08, 12:44 AM
Any reason or just a general dislike?:confused: To me its definately the toughest looking truck out there but my reasons for not wanting one is that A: its a Chrysler and B: fuel economy is the worst of the 3.

I'm not sure he was talking about a truck...;) :lildevil::lildevil::sheep:

Cadillacboy
10-17-08, 01:45 PM
I would go for the Silverado

Destroyer
10-17-08, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure he was talking about a truck...;) :lildevil::lildevil::sheep:Whatever do you mean?:confused:

Aron9000
10-17-08, 06:00 PM
I like everything about it but that damn spoiler . . . .

I know its a mute point now, but I was going to tell you to look at a 1999-2001ish Harley Davidson F150. Supercharged 5.4 V8, looks like a Boyd Coddington custom with the two tone paint:alchi:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-HARLEY-TRUCK_W0QQitemZ200264132658QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6219 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-17-08, 06:06 PM
Nick, with that Hemi, is the Ram pretty quick? Does it compare to the Brougham you had?

96Fleetwood
10-17-08, 06:25 PM
Very nice Ram, it has the SRT10 looks!

I drove a 4 door SRT10 Ram last year, very fun but not very practical.

Destroyer
10-17-08, 06:43 PM
Nick, with that Hemi, is the Ram pretty quick? Does it compare to the Brougham you had?Weak link on the Fleetwood was the transmission cause it was the factory trans from the '91. I say the RAM feels like a 14 second vechicle the Fleetwood maybe low-mid 15's. The RAM would definately beat it. Funny thing about the RAM when compared to my old Fleetwood is that they sound almost EXACTLY the same. Its not really a nice tuned loud like my Cobra either more of a sloppy sounding exhaust you expect to find on a truck. Like the Caddy it sounds great at WOT but not so good when driving normal.

hueterm
10-18-08, 10:53 PM
Pretty nice -- is the spoiler functional in any way (i.e. improved gas mileage)?

Destroyer
10-19-08, 07:43 PM
Pretty nice -- is the spoiler functional in any way (i.e. improved gas mileage)?I doubt it but I'm removing it anyway. I'll see if I get more or less miles per tank without it but I'm pretty sure it wont make a difference.

Destroyer
10-19-08, 08:19 PM
This is one MASSIVE truck. Didin't think it would fit in the garage (through the door opening) but it did!. I was happy about that. Look how small the Cobra looks next to it:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06126.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC06128.jpg

LS1Mike
10-19-08, 09:18 PM
That is a good looking truck! I am sure it will give you years of trouble free use. The only thing I would remove is the bed spoiler.

Destroyer
10-21-08, 07:07 AM
That is a good looking truck! I am sure it will give you years of trouble free use. The only thing I would remove is the bed spoiler.
Yeah, that spoiler has to go. Cant put anything in the bed without lifting it over the sides. Sucks.

Rolex
10-21-08, 03:05 PM
http://www.myride.com/images/vehicle/2006/Honda/Ridgeline/oem/06.ridgeline.57_(400x300).jpg

Honda made a parody of a truck.

That brings back BAD memories!! :alchi:

Eric Kahn
10-21-08, 05:12 PM
I just bought a 99 dodge 1500, 318, auto, air 111k for $1800, used to belong to the state of KY

Rolex
10-21-08, 06:24 PM
Very cool truck Destroyer. I think I spy air horns in one of the pics. :cool2: I'd love to hear audio of the exhaust and horns.

hueterm
10-21-08, 08:03 PM
A used car dealer here had 2 of those right next to each other. They look cool!