: Repeated Stalling

buf05CTSV
10-13-08, 09:18 AM
Hey guys. I took my dad's 2005 V out last night and did a few burnouts. One of them I completely botched, and rev limiter seemed to stick for a solid 4-5 seconds. I laid off and everything was just fine... I drove it home and the car seemed great, you could obviously smell burnt rubber (which I'm really hoping the clutch was not involved in the burnt smell), but the CTS-V seemed normal as always. My dad took it out this morning and he says it kept stalling during normal driving and stuff. Apparently it stalled 8-10 times. Is this because of me? and if so, what went wrong???

Thanks for all your help.

RightTurn
10-13-08, 09:40 AM
:food-snacking:

lollygagger8
10-13-08, 09:55 AM
Why is your dad letting you take out his car to beat on it?

Can I drive it then? :lildevil:

The Tony Show
10-13-08, 10:10 AM
Call your local paper and file an obituary for your Dad's clutch.

perfect
10-13-08, 10:15 AM
Oh boy!

This reminds me of when I was an 18 year old senior in high school (just 6 short years ago) and my dad made the mistake of taking a 2 week vacation and leaving the keys to his brand new M5 sitting on the counter.

I took that car to school and showed off to all of my friends during that two weeks and on the last Saturday before he was supposed to go home I decided to take it for one more test drive. I was alone on the highway and decided to take the off-ramp to get back to the house. I was going about 60mph on the exit ramp when I decided now was a good time to downshift into 4th gear. I'm not sure how I managed to do it but I accidentally pulled it into 2nd gear and within a split second the engine revved like crazy and the clutch/transmission failed.

I had to have it towed home and called him at 3 in the morning to explain what I had done. I wasn't supposed to be driving his car. He was never angry for what I did but now that I have my own super sedan I feel that retribution is right around the corner.

urbanski
10-13-08, 10:16 AM
:tard:

buf05CTSV
10-13-08, 10:31 AM
ok ok, obviously I messed up, but there's not much I can do about that at this point, and I'm sure we all have stories like this. My dad doesn't think it's a clutch problem, then again he doesn't know about the burnouts. He claims it's not a clutch problem because it happens in every gear, as well as sitting in neutral. He thinks that water may be in the gas tank from a faulty underground pump. I'm not sure what it is, but his car is still under warranty. I have a video of the mess up, and all it sounds/seems like is just hitting the rev limiter.

odla
10-13-08, 10:35 AM
there would have been two things dead in this story if was my v.

smoothq
10-13-08, 10:43 AM
I almost wonder if the TPS (throttle position sensor) went out it. I had this similar thing happen to my buddy in his WRX STI. Im not sure I would have to hear it or see it to make a better conclusion on the situation. Good luck... For your dad.. lol:tisk:

perfect
10-13-08, 10:53 AM
My dad doesn't think it's a clutch problem, then again he doesn't know about the burnouts.

I have a video of the mess up, and all it sounds/seems like is just hitting the rev limiter.

I think it's clear that you need to let your dad know about the burn-outs. It was an irresponsible thing to do to his car but you are making amends and being responsible by admitting to what you did. Trust me, this will make things way easier.

Also, as much as I really want to see this video you may want to hold off on posting it until after any warranty work is done...and considering that some people on here have lost their insured status for posting videos I'd recommend you delete it immediately.

Be smart, we all make mistakes (read my story above), be responsible and fess up.

buf05CTSV
10-13-08, 10:56 AM
Alright. Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it.

cvettr/cts-v
10-13-08, 12:35 PM
You should never do bunouts in this car. You are lucky you did not grenade the rear diff. Fess up to it and learn form your mistakes. And learning does not mean do it again if the issue is unrealated to your abuse.:thepan:

Netsloth
10-13-08, 02:45 PM
This reminds me of one time, my parents went away for a week's vacation. They left the keys to a brand-new Porsche. I thought "would they mind?"... I came to the conclusion that of course they wouldn't. I decided I'd just take it out for a little spin, maybe show it off to a couple of my pals and cruise around the neighborhood and whatnot.

Anyway, I saw this hot girl. I was pretending to talk on the cell-phone in the car while i honked the horn to get her to notice me. I talked her into coming for a ride.

I pulled into a McDonalds and got some food, and afterwards, we hit the road. She kept telling me to go faster, and she was getting all turned on. I was doing like 90 and didn't notice the police car behind me. Long story short, they took me downtown and called my parents back from vacation to get me. It turned out the girl was a 12 year old runaway!

They were really mad.

Long story short, it's obvious that parents just don't understand.

lollygagger8
10-13-08, 02:49 PM
This reminds me of one time, my parents went away for a week's vacation. They left the keys to a brand-new Porsche. I thought "would they mind?"... I came to the conclusion that of course they wouldn't. I decided I'd just take it out for a little spin, maybe show it off to a couple of my pals and cruise around the neighborhood and whatnot.

Anyway, I saw this hot girl. I was pretending to talk on the cell-phone in the car while i honked the horn to get her to notice me. I talked her into coming for a ride.

I pulled into a McDonalds and got some food, and afterwards, we hit the road. She kept telling me to go faster, and she was getting all turned on. I was doing like 90 and didn't notice the police car behind me. Long story short, they took me downtown and called my parents back from vacation to get me. It turned out the girl was a 12 year old runaway!

They were really mad.

Hahhaha, for a second there I thought I was reading the script to "Risky Business"

The Tony Show
10-13-08, 02:58 PM

They were really mad.

Holy crap, that's funny. :rofl: :lol:

Reminds me of a nightmare on my street......

c4ss
10-13-08, 05:15 PM
Hahhaha, for a second there I thought I was reading the script to "Risky Business"

I was about to say the same thing :histeric:...."ever seen the movie risky business?"....porsche: there is no subsititute. other than a V of course :shhh:

CadzillaTN
10-14-08, 12:35 AM
don't tell your dad sh*t. That way, he won't have to lie to the dealer.:rant2: If he was letting you drive it, he was asking for it anyway... that being said, you are now sentenced to 2.5 yrs behind the wheel of a geo metro.:bighead:

heavymetals
10-14-08, 01:15 AM
Could have broken a valve spring.

heavymetals
10-14-08, 01:18 AM

They were really mad.

You may not remember this, but almost the same thing happened to one of the Eagles (Don Henley if I remember correctly).

The LAPD were gonna charge him with child molestation until they found out the girl had a record for prostitution.

She was 12 and looked 23.:eek:

Netsloth
10-14-08, 09:56 AM
You may not remember this, but almost the same thing happened to one of the Eagles (Don Henley if I remember correctly).

The LAPD were gonna charge him with child molestation until they found out the girl had a record for prostitution.

She was 12 and looked 23.:eek:

Hahaha. My story didn't actually happen to me, it happened to my friend, Fresh Prince.

The Tony Show
10-14-08, 10:19 AM
I knew I was going to be one of the few to "get" that. Great post. :highfive:

buf05CTSV
10-14-08, 11:09 AM
Just want to put it out there, it's not like this was my first time driving the caddy.. I even took my road test in it. I have a Mustang GT as my own car, but I love the Vs.

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 01:20 PM
Just want to put it out there, it's not like this was my first time driving the caddy.. I even took my road test in it. I have a Mustang GT as my own car, but I love the Vs.

You should beat on your Mustang then (solid axles are good for straight line burnouts)
Not trying to be mean, but that V is your dad's car, not yours.

buf05CTSV
10-15-08, 08:10 PM
Well to conclude, the V acting up was a coincidence to the the botched burnout. There is a recall regarding software on some type of internal timing, and they replaced that, cleaned out the throttle body and the air filter. Luckily, the V is in good shape. Thanks for your input guys, and yes I'll be more careful with this car.