: Lost all my Steering Wheel Controls After Header Install

MOCTS-V
10-12-08, 11:45 PM
Just got my headers installed a few days back and have since lost my steering wheel controls. I dont have Traction Control, Cruise Control or anything. My Airbag light is also on. I dont have the factory Nav so I cant see the messages on the screen. My Mechanic did say that when he pulled it off the lift and started to drive, the bolt that holds the steering Column fell out and cause him to loose all steering. He put a new bolt in and it steers fine. I'm not sure if there is a sensor or somthing that could have came loose. Any Suggestions? I KNOW, WELCOME TO MOD HELL!!

heavymetals
10-13-08, 12:12 AM
Without the factory nav how did you know the features were active anyway?

I can understand the cruise, but traction control (I thought) needs to "talk" to the radio/nav.

MOCTS-V
10-13-08, 12:19 AM
Without the factory nav how did you know the features were active anyway?

I can understand the cruise, but traction control (I thought) needs to "talk" to the radio/nav.

Traction Control still had the light on the instrument cluster that I could look at. You can still switch to Competive Driving Mode and everything you just dont get the message on the screen.

heavymetals
10-13-08, 12:24 AM
Sounds like one of your connectors is unplugged.

How someone could screw up a header install is scary.:confused:

I don't think I want that guy doing a clutch......

rand49er
10-13-08, 06:53 AM
... How someone could screw up a header install is scary.:confused: ...You think not tightening the bolts holding the steering shaft together is a hint maybe? :eek:

Twitch
10-13-08, 08:32 AM
Did he say the bolt that holds the colum, or steering shaft? Obviously, something got unplugged in the colum. Why would they take apart the column?
Take it back. This time watch them, make sure its done right. Might be worth the money to take it to another shop. Have the work double checked.

No headers for me........

rand49er
10-13-08, 09:24 AM
... Why would they take apart the column? ...

... No headers for me ...It's like a 15-second procedure to disconnect then reconnect to slide the left side into place ... REALLY simple step.

As for that second comment ... :stirpot:.

lollygagger8
10-13-08, 09:54 AM
I never took the steering shaft bolt out...the headers went right in. The column bolt should've never been removed. Your mechanic sounds like a moron. (sorry) Like Tony said, something got unplugged when dumdum moved/removed the column.

Tony's Poor Maggie :lol:

rand49er
10-13-08, 10:16 AM
I never took the steering shaft bolt out...the headers went right in. The column bolt should've never been removed. Your mechanic sounds like a moron. (sorry) Like Tony said, something got unplugged when dumdum moved/removed the column.

Tony's Poor Maggie :lol:Actually, I believe for B&B headers, you're correct. However, for the Kooks headers, you do have to deal with the steering shaft. Got no idea about Stainless Works, TPIS, etc.

Twitch
10-13-08, 11:31 AM
It's like a 15-second procedure to disconnect then reconnect to slide the left side into place ... REALLY simple step.

As for that second comment ... :stirpot:.
I know about the shaft in the eggine bay :dummy:
I'm talking about the column. It sounds like they took that apart, and didn't put it back together right.

Headers = :nono:

rand49er
10-13-08, 03:47 PM
I know about the shaft in the eggine bay :dummy:
I'm talking about the column. It sounds like they took that apart, and didn't put it back together right.

Headers = :nono:Oh. :hide:

Den_93
08-11-09, 11:23 AM
How did you fix this??? I got the same issue.

Den_93
08-11-09, 11:05 PM
No one else had this issue?