: 1962 Cadillac carb question

CADEE
10-13-08, 12:21 AM
I have a 1962 Caddy 390 4GC carb. I have been having carb issues for a while and need some help. If you floor it from a dead stop it will stall. It will also bogg or stall if i floor it going around a corner. If your doing 40 plus mph and floor it, it is fine. I had a mechanic rebuild it and it's better, but it still boggs out if you floor it from a dead stop. They tried drilling out the jets and have double checked all settings and they say it's the best they can get it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was also wondering if i could use a later model Quadrajet or aftermarket Holley, Carter etc. Would there be alot of linkage mods to do? Thanks in advance, Brad.

danth63055
10-15-08, 01:07 AM
Hello. I have a 1962 and I am having problems when the car is going up hill. I have yet to take it in for service.

I don't have an answer, but was wondering if there is a specific part of this site for our specific year.

Submariner409
10-15-08, 10:54 AM
Try www.allcarbs.com . These guys are on Long Island and build everything as well as overhaul fuel injectors.

Also, Automotive Rebuilders in Bensalem, PA at 215 639 6511. Ask for Joe or Frank.

Both these shops have built Olds and GM Quadajets for my boat engine business, and they're good.

CTS-Voodoo
11-08-08, 01:38 PM
I have a 1962 Caddy 390 4GC carb. I have been having carb issues for a while and need some help. If you floor it from a dead stop it will stall. It will also bogg or stall if i floor it going around a corner. If your doing 40 plus mph and floor it, it is fine. I had a mechanic rebuild it and it's better, but it still boggs out if you floor it from a dead stop. They tried drilling out the jets and have double checked all settings and they say it's the best they can get it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was also wondering if i could use a later model Quadrajet or aftermarket Holley, Carter etc. Would there be alot of linkage mods to do? Thanks in advance, Brad.

an aftermarket 550 / 600 / 650cfm carb will solve your problems. Hell a 650 might even get you a little extra power.

danth63055
07-08-09, 10:59 PM
CADEE

Did you ever get an solve the problem you were having? I replaced my fuel pump but I am stil having problems. I am considering replacing the carb.

Do you know of other groups or forums? Thanks.

05devilledave
07-11-09, 04:26 PM
Sounds like your float level is too low, and in a turn, or from a stop, you are actually draining the bowl all the way to empty, or sloshing the fuel into the corner of the bowl. I would check float level.

danth63055
05-13-10, 12:57 AM
I have a 1962 Series 62 and need to buy a new carburator. I have looked on line and there are serveral different types carburator, all made by Edelbrock, and they all say they fit my year. I don't need anything fancy.

I live in Missouri and I do not have any immisions controls. I just want one that fits and that I can take to machanic to put on. Are there any other parts I need to buy and take to the shop? Here is the discription from the web site. Thanks.

Performer Series, Carb, 600 CFM, Leak Free Operation, Smooth Transition From Part To Full Throttle, Change Jets, Needles And Seats Or Adjust Floats On Car Without Draining Fuel, Sq-Flange, Electric Choke, With EGR, Includes Prim. Jet-0.086, Sec. Jet-0.095, Metering Rod-0.065x0.052