: Oil pan plug and oil pan

SusanT
10-12-08, 06:24 PM
I recently took my 2000 Catera in for a simple oil change, to the same
place that has done it for over three years. They are telling me that
the plug has stripped, and if it is removed it will not stay in...unless I
get a new oil pan and plug! Are they responsible for doing this damage,
or is this a common problem, or poor design with the Catera?

sirmqc
10-14-08, 03:58 PM
The head on my oil plug bolt stripped and I had to replace - but that was not the threads. Mine was basically like a worn out screw head - mine's a 98 and is a Torx bolt. I've never heard of the threads stripping.

They probably used an air gun that was turned up too high. If this is why its stripped, then yes its their fault - but I doubt they will take responsibility. I hate taking my car to a shop for anything, for this very reason.

Customer service is dead.

Submariner409
10-14-08, 05:54 PM
SusanT, There are two ways to fix your problem, both of which involve your local Mom & Pop auto shop. ......and they do not include a new oil pan.

A new, larger thread, self-tapping oil drain plug can be fitted. ---or

A new, larger thread drain plug can be fitted after using a drill and tap to create a larger hole and new set of threads in the existing oil pan.

Neither of these is rocket science and is relatively quick and easy for a mechanic with a lift.

Quickie oil change shops are notorious for this sort of thing. You aren't the first or last.........If you do, in fact, have a local car repair shop, use it. There's always someone to talk to. They need your business and will honestly try to help. Yes, it might cost a few more bucks for an oil change, but you have the peace of mind in knowing that they care.