: GM dumps heated washer fluid option after 960,000 unit recall

Blackout
10-10-08, 01:13 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5060595/heated-washer-fluid-option-dumped-by-gm-after-massive-recall

The Tony Show
10-10-08, 01:19 PM
Did you do a search on Jalopnik for "GM Bad news" or something? :bigroll:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-10-08, 01:20 PM
Well we will just keep on pullin' the fuses and sending the customers on down the road.

It's a great feature though, I love having it on my Mercedes.

LS1Mike
10-10-08, 01:57 PM

It woudl seem that way, I like Blackout, but he can be a pessimist at times.

Rolex
10-10-08, 02:15 PM
I called my father and told him about this recall. He just bought an 08 Chevy Z71 LTZ package that came with the heated fluid option. I suggested he have it looked at right away.

c5 rv
10-10-08, 02:31 PM
I saw an article in one of the Detroit papers that Microheat, the supplier of the heated washing option, is now out of business due to the warranty expense.

RightTurn
10-10-08, 02:37 PM
Rolex, according to what I have read the repair parts aren't available till after Nov. 1. I think all they do now is pull the fuse, so just tell your dad not to use the heated feature.

Rolex
10-10-08, 03:36 PM
Rolex, according to what I have read the repair parts aren't available till after Nov. 1. I think all they do now is pull the fuse, so just tell your dad not to use the heated feature.

:yup: I suggested he pull the fuse until he gets it looked at.

Blackout
10-10-08, 07:12 PM
No. Just go on there and that's all they have, so go ask them. Furthermore, I fail to see how informing the forum members on here of a recall is a bad thing. It looks like it helped out Rolex's father. This is also directed towards you Mike

LS1Mike
10-10-08, 07:35 PM
No. Just go on there and that's all they have, so go ask them. Furthermore, I fail to see how informing the forum members on here of a recall is a bad thing. It looks like it helped out Rolex's father. This is also directed towards you Mike

You are GM pessimist, that is all I meant. Just look at your dyno thread and GM bankrupt thread and tons of others about GM doing bad. It was nothing more nothing less. Everyone on here is well aware of GM's problems.

ewill3rd
10-11-08, 07:18 AM
Maybe he works for CNN, I think they hate GM too :lol:

Just kiddin'.
Pretty amazing to me that when cars started out you had to stop every few blocks, get out, and clean the windshield off, and now we cry like little children when our "heated washer fluid" doesn't work.
Life is so hard these days, what without being able to press a button to have warm fluid spray on your car windshield and all. :crying:

What will they do next? Make it where you actually have to hold a power window switch to get the window to go up or sit in your car while it warms up? :lol:

c5 rv
10-11-08, 08:01 AM
... What will they do next? Make it where you actually have to hold a power window switch to get the window to go up or sit in your car while it warms up? :lol:

... and listen to the crackle of an AM radio through a single speaker in the top of the steel dashboard.

... and remember to turn your headlights on and off.

... and use your left foot to turn your high beams on and off.

... and turn the second, round key in the door lock to unlock your car.

Arrrgh, the dark ages are coming!!

slk230mb
10-11-08, 10:58 AM
The last time my dads 2007 Yukon XL was in the shop, they pulled the fuse for this and told him that if he plugged it back in, it was his risk.

The Tony Show
10-11-08, 11:35 AM

You're such a kind, helpful person.

I must have missed your thread about transmission failures in GT-Rs and engine sludge in Toyotas- I mean, your generosity and good will compelled you to post up about those also, right?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-11-08, 11:48 AM
What could theoretically happen if that fuse is plugged back in?

LS1Mike
10-11-08, 12:01 PM
What could theoretically happen if that fuse is plugged back in?

I could put my latte in there feed a hose into the car and have a latte dispenser that keeps the goods warm..MMM:cloud9:

Blackout
10-11-08, 12:09 PM
You're such a kind, helpful person.

I must have missed your thread about transmission failures in GT-Rs and engine sludge in Toyotas- I mean, your generosity and good will compelled you to post up about those also, right?

As many of you have pointed out before, this is a GM forum.

ewill3rd
10-11-08, 03:50 PM
luv, the issue here is that apparently the device draws too much current for the design ground that it has but the power side will handle the load. That means that if the ground is overloaded the fuse will not blow but excessive heat will be generated (if I understand the nuances of the reason behind this recall).
Excessive heat can cause the wire insulation to melt, smoke, heat damage and ultimately possible ignition and a resulting "thermal event". (also known as fire)
I am sure the circumstances would have to be pretty precise for it to go that far and realistically there is no actual danger but.... why take a chance?

The Tony Show
10-11-08, 04:12 PM
As many of you have pointed out before, this is a GM forum.

:bigroll:

Blackout
10-11-08, 05:24 PM
:bigroll:

Honestly I could give two $hits as to wtf you think. You're just as bad as thebigjimsho, and CadillacSTS2003. I post something about another car company I get crapped on because this is a GM forum, I post stuff about GM vehicles and yet I still get crapped on so wtf else should I do? For now on just do us both a favor and when you see me post just ignore it because that's all I am going to be doing whenever I see you post. So go back and play your Rock Band 2 game and please just ignore my posts

dkozloski
10-11-08, 06:14 PM
Blackout has another brownout.

93DevilleUSMC
10-11-08, 08:07 PM
It woudl seem that way, I like Blackout, but he can be a pessimist at times.

What's the alternative? Pretending that GM isn't in trouble and that every thing's just fine and dandy when it isn't? Blackout is telling the unpleasant truth, and I respect him for it. Personal reaction to reality doesn't change reality in the least.

LS1Mike
10-11-08, 11:13 PM
What's the alternative? Pretending that GM isn't in trouble and that every thing's just fine and dandy when it isn't? Blackout is telling the unpleasant truth, and I respect him for it. Personal reaction to reality doesn't change reality in the least.

The alternative is simple, he can talk about some of the good stuff , in addition to the bad stuff. Read his dyno thread, he was so quick to jump on "bad" ZR1 dyno numbers that he didn't take the time to look up the difference between RWHP and Crank HP, because IMO the way it was written he wanted it to look bad vs the GTR. He only likes to mention the bad stuff.
Not like how good the ZR1 is, or had good the Malibu is or how even though they had incentives their sales figures weren't as bad as expected.

Talk about the bad fine that is reallity, but most of his GM post are just about what is bad and from what I can tell he is the guy who does it the most on this board.

Blackout
10-12-08, 01:20 AM
The alternative is simple, he can talk about some of the good stuff , in addition to the bad stuff. Read his dyno thread, he was so quick to jump on "bad" ZR1 dyno numbers that he didn't take the time to look up the difference between RWHP and Crank HP, because IMO the way it was written he wanted it to look bad vs the GTR. He only likes to mention the bad stuff.
Not like how good the ZR1 is, or had good the Malibu is or how even though they had incentives their sales figures weren't as bad as expected.

Talk about the bad fine that is reallity, but most of his GM post are just about what is bad and from what I can tell he is the guy who does it the most on this board.

WTF are you even talking about? I took something that was from a GM forum and brought it over here. So because I did that that means I'm anti-ZR1? And I give props to GM when I see fit too, not because I'm like you, a brand loyalist that no matter what their favorite company puts out is the best thing since sliced bread. Your a GM fan so all you want to see is how good and awesome they are. Well that just isn't the case and when I bring it to you and others attention on here I get branded as anti-GM. You hate anything from a Japanese company, while I like anything from any country. Sorry it's a weird concept to like more then one car company

Cliff8928
10-12-08, 02:56 AM
It's a great feature though, I love having it on my Mercedes.

Not to mention it's an ingenious idea having a coolant pipe circulate through the reservoir!

93DevilleUSMC
10-12-08, 04:34 AM

The good stuff gets enough mention on here. Why should he have to sugarcoat every problem that GM faces?

Playdrv4me
10-12-08, 05:56 AM
I think some people show their affection for something they care about via praise and some show it via "Tough Love". The bottom line is anyone who really DOESN'T like GM will come in here, rant and rave for 10 or 15 posts then get bored and disappear. Blackout has never struck me as a GM hater at all, it's kind of like me with the Northstar thing. It would be nice to see you post some positive GM news stories every once in a while though Blackout.

If anyone recalls his father is Katshot who worked for years servicing a fleet of livery vehicles or limousines (I forget) and had firsthand experience having to repair the Northstars in all of those Cadillacs. Everyone views their experiences with the companies they support or have interaction with differently. Neither of these two has ever struck me as anywhere NEAR as abrasive to GM as some of our other... "better known" trouble makers.

93DevilleUSMC
10-12-08, 05:10 PM
I think some people show their affection for something they care about via praise and some show it via "Tough Love". The bottom line is anyone who really DOESN'T like GM will come in here, rant and rave for 10 or 15 posts then get bored and disappear. Blackout has never struck me as a GM hater at all, it's kind of like me with the Northstar thing. It would be nice to see you post some positive GM news stories every once in a while though Blackout.

If anyone recalls his father is Katshot who worked for years servicing a fleet of livery vehicles or limousines (I forget) and had firsthand experience having to repair the Northstars in all of those Cadillacs. Everyone views their experiences with the companies they support or have interaction with differently. Neither of these two has ever struck me as anywhere NEAR as abrasive to GM as some of our other... "better known" trouble makers.

Blackout is the honesty broker of this site. When he does point out something negative about GM, he usually backs it up with a reliable source, which is more than I can say for some folks on here who want to get emotional everytime someone makes a crack at the third- and fourth-generation Camaros.

LS1Mike
10-12-08, 06:32 PM
Blackout is the honesty broker of this site. When he does point out something negative about GM, he usually backs it up with a reliable source, which is more than I can say for some folks on here who want to get emotional everytime someone makes a crack at the third- and fourth-generation Camaros.

I let that shit slide on here a lot, but it does get old and I get mad.
You will most likely get over it.
Don't get hurt that a few people realize he just post bad news and he won't admit it but sometimes it is to incite folks. Big deal right?

Dosen't mean we don't believe what he is saying or even know it is the truth.

It is just like Playdrv4me, it would be nice to see him post some postive stuff from time to time. Thats all and you both got upset, you kind of remind me of me with the Mullet the comments.

He is no worse then me getting upset about that then a few people pointing out the obvious and you run to his rescue. He is a big boy, I am sure he is capable of taking care of himself on the internet.

He had no problem posting what he thought he knew my veiw was on imports.

No one is asking him to sugar coat anything, just post something positive once and awhile even Playdrv4me says that and I know that guy couldn't normally give two craps about what I post and he is usally really level headed.

You guys can stay mad if you want. I won't argue about this anymore.

Destroyer
10-12-08, 08:45 PM

I dont see it. I mean its ok to point out problems right?. This post in particular was informative and can potentially save someone from setting fire to their GM product right?. Truth is there isn't a whole lot of "good" going on at GM or any other domestic auto maker at the moment.

Mike, you are doing the same thing you are accusing him of bro. He HAS made positive posts in regards to how great the ZR1 is in the past or to point to articles about it or whatever. Its the stuff that is not postive that catches people's attention and pisses people off. All the good is quickly overlooked.

Reminds me of when I jumped into the N* forum before buying my '98 Deville. Now I didn't research it a whole lot but I did go in and ask about N* motors and the responses I got from members were to the effect that the N* motor is bulletproof and very reliable. After hanging in there for years now and seeing how many headgasket failures happen daily and having experienced one myself, I have to say that its disturbing when people are so blindly devoted to a brand that they cant be honest if the car or drivetrain is unreliable and prone to catastrophic failure. Now, when a new member comes on and asks if he should buy an early N* powered car I say "no" and share my experience and inform of all the issues I have seen right on these boards. In the N* forum this makes me a "troll' or a "disgruntled ex-owner". Whatever, I tell it like I see it and hope I save someone the headache of buying a lemon and losing money.

Blackout
10-12-08, 08:54 PM
I let that shit slide on here a lot, but it does get old and I get mad.
You will most likely get over it.
Don't get hurt that a few people realize he just post bad news and he won't admit it but sometimes it is to incite folks. Big deal right?

Dosen't mean we don't believe what he is saying or even know it is the truth.

It is just like Playdrv4me, it would be nice to see him post some postive stuff from time to time. Thats all and you both got upset, you kind of remind me of me with the Mullet the comments.

He is no worse then me getting upset about that then a few people pointing out the obvious and you run to his rescue. He is a big boy, I am sure he is capable of taking care of himself on the internet.

He had no problem posting what he thought he knew my veiw was on imports.

No one is asking him to sugar coat anything, just post something positive once and awhile even Playdrv4me says that and I know that guy couldn't normally give two craps about what I post and he is usally really level headed.

You guys can stay mad if you want. I won't argue about this anymore.

Dude, everything on here is Pro GM. I've posted numerous articles on here over the years about new and upcoming GM products and many other things. Like Destroyer said as soon as someone posts something negative then other members on here such as yourself are so quick to jump on someone because they're anti GM or something. I post up articles every once in awhile on here and it not as if I go out of my way to find any and all negative GM news. Whatever happens to be on whatever website I am on at the time just only has that information. I mean do you want me to photoshop pictures of the CTS-V with myself humping the tail pipe in order to show how much I love GM? You see this http://www.disneyfrontier.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/gm_general_motors_logo.jpg and you do this :worship:

LS1Mike
10-12-08, 10:39 PM
I dont see it. I mean its ok to point out problems right?. This post in particular was informative and can potentially save someone from setting fire to their GM product right?. Truth is there isn't a whole lot of "good" going on at GM or any other domestic auto maker at the moment.

Mike, you are doing the same thing you are accusing him of bro. He HAS made positive posts in regards to how great the ZR1 is in the past or to point to articles about it or whatever. Its the stuff that is not postive that catches people's attention and pisses people off. All the good is quickly overlooked.

Reminds me of when I jumped into the N* forum before buying my '98 Deville. Now I didn't research it a whole lot but I did go in and ask about N* motors and the responses I got from members were to the effect that the N* motor is bulletproof and very reliable. After hanging in there for years now and seeing how many headgasket failures happen daily and having experienced one myself, I have to say that its disturbing when people are so blindly devoted to a brand that they cant be honest if the car or drivetrain is unreliable and prone to catastrophic failure. Now, when a new member comes on and asks if he should buy an early N* powered car I say "no" and share my experience and inform of all the issues I have seen right on these boards. In the N* forum this makes me a "troll' or a "disgruntled ex-owner". Whatever, I tell it like I see it and hope I save someone the headache of buying a lemon and losing money.

I would tell the guy the same thing as well as staying away from the early
3.1, 3.4the DOHC 3.4, 2.8, Vortec 4.3, I am sure I am forgetting some. That is why I don't have a N* but a turbo Lebaron instead. , no Doubt Blackout tells the truth,that is not the issue here.
The positive stuff is not close to the negative and he dosen't need anyone to defend him. He does a damn fine job on his own. Sure I am GM loyal, however I am the first to tell you what they ****ed up. Blackout and I just don't see eye to and he gets bent, just like I do with the mullet comments. I know you hate how guys perceive the Mustang. Just like I hate the guys that keep the Mullet rumor alive. I don't even know why I am aruging.
Obviously I am not the only one who feels this way. I am just the only one stupid enough (bored enough?) to continue arguing about it on the Internet.

LS1Mike
10-12-08, 10:41 PM
I mean do you want me to photoshop pictures of the CTS-V with myself humping the tail pipe in order to show how much I love GM?

I would pefer you didn't, but I wouldn't stop you.

Playdrv4me
10-13-08, 04:13 AM
Alright 'fellers I think everyone has stated their point clearly and fairly but the thread has deviated way too far off track now.