: GM suit settlement

greyghost04
10-09-08, 07:42 PM
While this has nothing to do with CTS, you may have owned one of these cars.

http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

ewill3rd
10-09-08, 08:27 PM
The problem on most of those cars has nothing to do with the type of coolant, but it has to do with the type of gaskets.
Also related are maintenance issues, such as did the car have a leak that was being ignored?
Top offs with certain municipalities tap water supply can be an issue depending on what was in it.

... I am just saying...

LS1Mike
10-09-08, 08:52 PM
The problem on most of those cars has nothing to do with the type of coolant, but it has to do with the type of gaskets.
Also related are maintenance issues, such as did the car have a leak that was being ignored?
Top offs with certain municipalities tap water supply can be an issue depending on what was in it.

... I am just saying...

I know you are a tech, and you are right, Everyone is quick to blame GM and yes the could have handled it better, but if you got it fixed once with the right gasket and kept your fluid at the correct level you wouldn't have the problem. It cost just as much as a timing belt replacement which you will do more then once on a car with one.
One solution is to keep the overflow full to the hot level when cold. It allows the system to always be flow so the gaskets don't eat away. My dad has a 99Malibu 3.1 with 160,000 miles on it and has always filled his like that, he has always used distilled water. Still on the original gasket.

Playdrv4me
10-09-08, 09:29 PM
Oh how amusing. Some prick lawfirm finally got around to getting a cooling system suit settled with GM after all these years and it ends up being for the stupid coolant rather than the elephant in the room headbolt design issues on the much more expensive cars. :rolleyes:

I fully agree, the coolant is no more at fault for cooling system failures than a gun is for murder.

LS1Mike
10-09-08, 09:40 PM
Oh how amusing. Some prick lawfirm finally got around to getting a cooling system suit settled with GM after all these years and it ends up being for the stupid coolant rather than the elephant in the room headbolt design issues on the much more expensive cars. :rolleyes:

I fully agree, the coolant is no more at fault for cooling system failures than a gun is for murder.

Say it isn't so...we agree on something?:hide:

Also In the current GM offerings Dexcool causes no problems, because the original gasket design and peoples lack of attention to maintenance were the main causes of failure. GM should have fixed the problem with gasket, but I think there were so many out there that were not maintained properly, had the bad gaskets or didn't have the problem at all they were hoping it would go away. My Equinox and WS6 have no problems with it at all, nor did any of my older Dexcool cars. My 98 Boneville and 01 GTP.

ryannel2003
10-09-08, 11:27 PM
My grandfather was told by the dealer to just fill it with tap water on his '98 Monte Carlo with the 3.1 V6. Said that all of 'em do that.

Playdrv4me
10-10-08, 02:14 AM
Say it isn't so...we agree on something?:hide:

Well I mean it's just absolutely silly to sue GM over coolant. I have no problem seeing eye to eye with you on that. ;)

C&C
10-10-08, 04:50 AM
Well duh, if it were the coolant, how could a valid settlement only include certain engines. Again, the gun/crime analogy is pretty spot on; no credibility to cause/effect but inanely linked/connected.

ewill3rd
10-10-08, 06:40 AM
The only issue I might concede that GM COULD be at fault on is some of the S10 4.3 liter engines.
I am not sure what happened to them but they were awful.
I heard it was a casting issue that left debris in the cooling system, it wasn't coolant related but....
I saw it eat the blades off water pumps, tear through all kinds of stuff, it was bad.
Amazing that no one wants to come after me on my comments and everyone agrees... maybe I'll have a good day today :lol:

LS1Mike
10-10-08, 09:54 AM
The only issue I might concede that GM COULD be at fault on is some of the S10 4.3 liter engines.
I am not sure what happened to them but they were awful.
I heard it was a casting issue that left debris in the cooling system, it wasn't coolant related but....
I saw it eat the blades off water pumps, tear through all kinds of stuff, it was bad.
Amazing that no one wants to come after me on my comments and everyone agrees... maybe I'll have a good day today :lol:

Why wouldn't folks agree. People buy a car and expect it to take care of itself now adays. Isn't that what cars do? Most folks just don't understand how to properly care for a car. I change my dex out just like the green stuff. Every 50,000ish miles. I have never had a problem.