: Sad Baby-V story

Seattle CTS-V
10-09-08, 02:19 PM
As many of you know I had a nicely modified '05 CTS-V that I sold about 6 months ago to one lucky owner. It was putting down 480hp/445tq at the wheels when I sold her (Kooks, Magnaflow and a 2.6" Maggie + StealthV tune). Had sways, coilovers and a KARS III kit.

Anyway, she was on her 4th rear end and it seemed like a pretty good one. Never had any problems with it at all. The first 3 were all replaced under warranty for whining. Never had a true failure. Anyway, the new owner said he took the car to the drags for the first time last wknd and on his first launch he cracked the pumpkin. He said he had TC on and launched at 1500rpm. The car hopped a couple times (partly due to TC being on) and he heard a loud bang and the car started dropping it's guts. He never even got one pass on a 1/4 mile track out of her. I felt so bad it happened to him but he's pretty cool and understands that shit happens sometimes. It's not like he didn't know the risks w/ these diffs. Anyway, he called Mallett and they said that they were about to release their custom rear end for sale soon. Up to this point I had thought you could only get it as part of a package. Anyone heard of this (I haven't been lurking as much lately since I've been V-less)?

rlj5
10-09-08, 02:36 PM
This is the first I've heard of it !

Jon
10-09-08, 02:38 PM
Ouch :(

I haven't heard of this Mallet rear diff.

Twitch
10-09-08, 02:44 PM
T/C can be a bitch.
Are you talking about Mallets wheel-hop kit or a rear end?
Don't they just do something with your rear to make it stronger?

lollygagger8
10-09-08, 02:51 PM
Oh snap!! Mallet...bring us a new rear end!! (That doesn't cost more than a supercharger)

Oh, and T/C IS a bitch!!

CadiBlk
10-09-08, 02:54 PM
New rear rumors? Interesting.

rlj5
10-09-08, 02:57 PM
Oh snap!! Mallet...bring us a new rear end!! (That doesn't cost more than a supercharger)

Oh, and T/C IS a bitch!!

OH, Whats the big deal about rear end anyway, Why is it everyone always wants another rear end. I think the one I have is just fine :hide:

Naf
10-09-08, 03:04 PM
Ya, but they are STUCK up Paris Hilton type people...Its our whole package or nuttin....But they offer individual prices for upgrades...So diva

Kmajecki
10-09-08, 03:36 PM
Not to shoot down this possibility, but i just called and spoke to them. I swear the guy i talked to said his name was Chuck Mallet? Mr Mallet himself possibly?! Anyway when i asked about the rear he said they've always offered a custom rear diff package for the V. He said they do different things depending on the HP output. I told him i'm right about 400rwhp and he said i could just Cryo the stock diff, put in the 07 axles, oh and "get new shocks. the stock ones are too soft and allow the rear to wheelhop." hmmm i'm starting to doubt their skills a bit....

Oh and yea that really sucks for the buyer for the diff to go out on his first pass. I've never even driven my car to the strip just to watch, that's how fearful i am now that my extended warranty is about to end!

lollygagger8
10-09-08, 03:49 PM
OH, Whats the big deal about rear end anyway, Why is it everyone always wants another rear end. I think the one I have is just fine :hide:

Hahhaha I love a good rear end......
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/motivator7.jpg

The Tony Show
10-09-08, 03:55 PM
Not to shoot down this possibility, but i just called and spoke to them. I swear the guy i talked to said his name was Chuck Mallet? Mr Mallet himself possibly?! Anyway when i asked about the rear he said they've always offered a custom rear diff package for the V. He said they do different things depending on the HP output. I told him i'm right about 400rwhp and he said i could just Cryo the stock diff, put in the 07 axles, oh and "get new shocks. the stock ones are too soft and allow the rear to wheelhop." hmmm i'm starting to doubt their skills a bit....

Oh and yea that really sucks for the buyer for the diff to go out on his first pass. I've never even driven my car to the strip just to watch, that's how fearful i am now that my extended warranty is about to end!

I wouldn't doubt them too much- Mallett's kit combined with the Penske shocks has produced a V with little to no wheelhop. I believe their car with this setup (and running a 7.0L Supercharged stroker motor) was the car that won C&D's Supertuner shootout two years ago.

lollygagger8
10-09-08, 04:02 PM
Are Penske's more expensive than FG2's? I'd like to know what that Mallet V uses EXACTLY.

CTSV_510
10-09-08, 04:16 PM
T/C is dangerous. The only wheelhop I've experienced was with T/C on.

trukk
10-09-08, 04:32 PM
Are Penske's more expensive than FG2's? I'd like to know what that Mallet V uses EXACTLY.

Penskes are about 6k if I recall correctly.

-Chris

lollygagger8
10-09-08, 04:58 PM

-Chris

Daaaaayyyuuuuummmmmmmm!!! :helpless:

rlj5
10-09-08, 05:16 PM
Daaaaayyyuuuuummmmmmmm!!! :helpless:

:yeah:

And everyone thinks $7500 for a 9" diff is expensive

Six f**ing grand for shocks ! "WoW"

lollygagger8
10-09-08, 05:34 PM
:yeah:

And everyone thinks $7500 for a 9" diff is expensive

Six f**ing grand for shocks ! "WoW"

I would say your rear end doesn't look so bad now, but I won't cuz that means :gay: lol

JD03Cobra
10-09-08, 05:45 PM

-Chris

OMG...do those come with a life time guarentee? Lol...

Twitch
10-09-08, 05:45 PM
I would say your rear end doesn't look so bad now, but I won't cuz that means :gay: lol
But your thinking it..........

rand49er
10-09-08, 05:52 PM
... he took the car to the drags for the first time last wknd and on his first launch he cracked the pumpkin. ...Just when I was half thinking I'd like to give it a try sometime, I read this.

Sorry for that guy, but I think I just wait for V-Day Three to get my kicks. :cool:

onebadcad
10-09-08, 05:56 PM
OMG...do those come with a life time guarentee? Lol...

At that price, they better come with the Madman rear-end!

Kmajecki
10-09-08, 06:24 PM
I know Mallett makes some good stuff but just hearing the guy say new shocks would cure the wheelhop was a little unbelievable, although he didn't say $6,000 shocks, If i'd known that i probably wouldn't have been so doubtful!

Kmajecki
10-09-08, 06:29 PM
Prices from their site...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/s1.gif

MauiV
10-09-08, 06:58 PM
Has anyone tried a Ford 8.8 Cobra rear?

They are pretty easy to get ahold of cheap and I have seen plenty of highly modded (600+hp) Cobras run on them plus you keep the IRS.

I can get one for a few hundred bucks from a guy going straight axel on his Wippled Cobra (606rwhp) because he is obsessed with his 60' time and wonder how hard the swap would be. I know anything can be done with enough money thrown at it but this sounds like an actual reasonable answer if the swap price can be kept reasonable.

Kmajecki
10-09-08, 07:11 PM
Sounds like it's worth a shot to me!

SkullV
10-09-08, 07:49 PM
Has anyone tried a Ford 8.8 Cobra rear?

They are pretty easy to get ahold of cheap and I have seen plenty of highly modded (600+hp) Cobras run on them plus you keep the IRS.

I can get one for a few hundred bucks from a guy going straight axel on his Wippled Cobra (606rwhp) because he is obsessed with his 60' time and wonder how hard the swap would be. I know anything can be done with enough money thrown at it but this sounds like an actual reasonable answer if the swap price can be kept reasonable.

RLJ5 had one, and broke it...

MauiV
10-09-08, 08:02 PM
He also has 350+ more HP. I dont plan on ever being over 550.

CTSV_510
10-09-08, 08:09 PM
He also has 350+ more HP. I dont plan on ever being over 550.

No one plans it, it just happens. ;)