: Sickest Thing I've Ever Seen.....

DopeStar 156
10-09-08, 07:41 AM
As some of you may know my 89 Fleetwood Brougham is in some bad shape mechanically with my 307 that is losing cylinders. My number 8 died a few weeks ago and my number 1 was on it's way out so I dropped the car off a week ago to have my heads removed and checked out. The guy I left the car with (an ex 80's Cadillac mechanic who now owns his own place) called me up and asked me to pick up the gasket set and drop it off so he could have it the next day. I stopped by after he closed and dropped the parts off and noticed my poor car sitting there, hood popped, front suspension sticking straight up in the air looking like some junkyard pick-a-part victim. I curiously opened my hood, and saw this......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/downsized_1007081757.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1007081757a.jpg

I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw this. I know it's my engine without the heads or intake on but to me it's like seeing my mom sitting in a chair, unconscious with the top of her skull missing. My poor car never looked so small and afraid, my eyes teared up a little. I want her back so bad......

:crying:

Cadillac Giovanni
10-09-08, 04:16 PM
Aw, buck up! After this, hopefully things will only get better!

She's a trooper, she can handle it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-09-08, 04:27 PM
"drive me dope, drive me!!!" :crying: :crying:

codewize
10-09-08, 05:26 PM
Dope, I feel for you. I've never been in that place but I know what you mean.

She'll be fine, better than fine.

Destroyer
10-09-08, 08:42 PM
"drive me dope, drive me!!!":sheep::sheep:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-09-08, 10:41 PM
Oh, you will be fine. I had to sit though TWO AND HALF WHOLE MONTHS of looking at my car up in the air with the entire engine cradle pulled and the trans sprawled across some guy's work bench because the trans went for the second time in one year. It took him 4 transmissions before he got one that worked.

Old Fleetwood
10-09-08, 11:44 PM
Chirk up!
Some mechanics wouldn't even have put cloths over the raw, exposed metal.
Really, he FEELS for your baby.
HONEST!

77CDV
10-10-08, 12:03 AM
On the up side, you know the car will get put back together and ride again. Some of us have not had that happy ending.

DopeStar 156
10-10-08, 12:31 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/downsized_1009081109.jpg

:crying:

I was given a projected return date, so far it looks like next Thursday. I have to buy whatever valves I'm gonna need and a new set of A.I.R. Tubes which I can't find......

gfxdave99
10-10-08, 01:01 AM
I would have cried.

gdwriter
10-11-08, 12:29 AM
Been there, done that, Dope. It's been eight years since Betty's engine rebuild, and you're right, there's something sad about seeing your baby partially disassembled:

http://www.gdwriter.com/graphics/rebuild_1_big.jpg

http://www.gdwriter.com/graphics/rebuild_3_big.jpg

The upside is that eight years and 60,000 miles later, I've had zero engine problems; she runs like a top.

DopeStar 156
10-11-08, 01:28 AM
What did you have done? I'm just having my heads rebuilt. He tells me my pistons look good, no scoring or anything like that so I'm just doing the top end.....

gdwriter
10-11-08, 01:48 AM
What did you have done? I'm just having my heads rebuilt. He tells me my pistons look good, no scoring or anything like that so I'm just doing the top end.....Mine was a complete engine rebuild. I might have gotten away with just rebuilding the heads (I had one valve that had gone bad), but I wanted to prevent future problems and make Betty as reliable as possible. It was a lot of work pulling the engine out, then putting it back end; I couldn't have done it myself, but I had a friend in my car club who was retired and liked working on cars. He did 90% of the work while I held things in place, handed him wrenches and cleaned up parts as we were disassembling the engine bay. But it was worth it.

greencadillacmatt
10-13-08, 09:48 PM
Hang in there, DopeStar, she'll be ready to roll in no time.

lochenjons
10-14-08, 11:32 AM
the poor ol girl needs some tough love to get back on the road! but she'll be back!

faster
10-26-08, 12:06 PM
I understand your dilemma but I want you to look at it from my point of view.

Please understand I am trying to interject humor here.

23 years ago I had just moved to Gainesville and met my neighbor who also just moved here too and happened to be a surgeon. We were in this little out of the way apartment complex temporarily, looking for houses.

I am a very good mechanic who has been building and racing vehicles for 40 years. One day I was out in the parking lot changing motors in my hot rod when we met as he was curious and stopped by to introduce himself and see what I was doing. We became friends.

A few weeks later he overheats his baby (79 black Firebird Trans Am, Smokey and the Bandit car) and blows a head gasket. He comes over asking me to look at and diagnose his car and I assure him it will be okay.

The next day after work he gets a ride home from work with a good friend who stays and they both observe as I begin the process of pulling the heads and begin storing pieces in the trunk. I am working very quickly disconnecting the distrubutor and wires and hoses and linkage and fuel lines and just secure them out of the way.

Now remember they are both surgeons and very cautious in their work because they are working on a living being. He is feeling I am doing the same thing with his car.

He says "you aren't tagging everything are you sure you will remember where everything goes"?

I could not resist and look up at him and say "I've never done this before but it is too late now"!

He completely blanches and I swear he got the dry heaves.

After his friend and I were done laughing (at least five minutes) I assure him I have done this a hundred times and could reassemble it in my sleep.

He is still not at ease and very nervous. He is also now a little mad at me but not sure how to handle it because we have only known each other a couple of weeks.

I check everything very thoroughly and reassemble it.
It runs great and he is happy now.

We remain very close friends until his death a few years ago.

Mikey

pompste
10-27-08, 06:52 PM
Chirk up!
Some mechanics wouldn't even have put cloths over the raw, exposed metal.
Really, he FEELS for your baby.
HONEST!

100% CORRECT! Must be a mechanic that actually cares-----as mentioned,some mechanics leave those ares wide open for any nasties to drop in.

quins90lac
10-27-08, 08:25 PM
it will be fine she will pull through it . its not as bad as it looks not like you had to watch him do it . when my engine and trans had to be replaced i made the mistake i of watching the guy do it . nothing brings a man to tears like watching you baby's heart and lungs being ripped out of her after that i couldn't watch it any more that was to much i wished i would have the dumb ass i had doing it messed up so much stuff it wasn't funny and i paid him 600 to do it and that was up front .but when i got her back she drove like a dream again

DopeStar 156
10-27-08, 11:59 PM
Still waiting to get her back, new heads have been in for a while now, he's just taking his sweet time......