: Making sure dealer doesn't reflash my PCM

tophat02
10-09-08, 01:45 AM
I need to take my car in for service. There is a short laundry list of stuff I need them to do. Usual oil change and filter (I wrench on cars, but I don't change my own oil unless it's part of a project... I HATE doing it), replace peeling nav radio, replace shifter boot (came off during a hard shift to second, good thing there's a TSB on it), etc...

So, how do I make sure they don't reflash my PCM? I just installed it and it as the w4m tune. I'd be really pissed if they flashed over it.

Any suggestions?

coolcaddy1
10-09-08, 01:53 AM
i was under the impression you get a new to you pcm to put in with the tune. Why dont you put in the factory pcm with the original calibrations?...unless you need it to have the car drive legit with the mods you have done.

korizzle
10-09-08, 02:00 AM
they wont reflash it for those...i've been in and out of the dealership since i was tuned for many different things (including a new nav, battery issues galore, and regular servicing) and no one has touched my pcm. one way to be sure is when you get the car back, if your 1 to 4 skip shift is in effect then they reflashed you and you'll need to work it out with women 4 men.

tophat02
10-09-08, 02:11 AM
they wont reflash it for those...i've been in and out of the dealership since i was tuned for many different things (including a new nav, battery issues galore, and regular servicing) and no one has touched my pcm. one way to be sure is when you get the car back, if your 1 to 4 skip shift is in effect then they reflashed you and you'll need to work it out with women 4 men.

Thanks, good advice. I think the other thing I may do is just tell them that I'm very particular with my car and could they please inform me before they do anything I haven't explicitly asked them to do.

I guess I COULD always go back to stock for the warranty work but, man, what a pain in the ass...

ewill3rd
10-09-08, 09:21 AM
Reprogramming the PCM is not something that is done routinely.
There should be a reason for it, if you are complaining about a drivability issue they might go that route but otherwise it isn't something they would do for fun.
The only exception there might be is if there is an open recall on the vehicle that would require reprogramming.
We run the VIN on a car at each service visit to be sure no open recalls are undone. If they are, we do them.
There are some recalls out there for PCM software issues on CTS-V.
If you'd like to PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN I can run it for you and let you know if you need to worry about that or not.

BacDoc
10-09-08, 09:44 AM
Install stock pcm.

ichpen
10-09-08, 10:31 AM
As posted above the dealer will not touch your PCM for these tasks. Even if they do update your PCM (for the new Navi unit) it will be with a Tech II tool and they will not overwrite your tuned maps. As pointed out it, if it was reflashed you will start seeing skip shift. Best way to tell. If you're sweating it, swap back to your stock pcm.

CTSV_510
10-09-08, 11:16 AM
Last time I was at the dealer I told them "DO NOT FLASH/EDIT THE PCM! I have a custom calibration that I don't want to lose."

They were so scared to mess it up they didn't even want to plug the TECH II in to see if my VIN was properly programmed into the PCM. :lol:

MauiV
10-09-08, 11:22 AM
Im getting my pinion seal replaced soon. Hope they dont notice the whine under the hood. I was also wondering about a flash to mine bad now I feel better about it after reading through this thread.

YoshiV
10-09-08, 11:56 AM
Just tell them not to. They can't deny warranty service on something when the PCM program has nothing to do with it so just tell them. I don't understand peoples fear of the service department. I had my pinion seal replaced last week at Central Cadillac in Cleveland under the national recall. My first visit. I told the service rep I just got the car in May and love it. He asked me if I had it on the track yet. Yup I said, Mid Ohio and Nelson Ledges...COOL he said! Then he said we have the replacement pinion seal on hand and can do it now or get it scheduled. I think most Caddy dealers understand people buy the V series to drive them and take pride in the fact that they sell them and people drive them and people driving them will make them love the car and eventually they will be back to buy another.