: Time to flush...

N0DIH
10-09-08, 12:01 AM
Tip, flush the heater core NOW before it gets colder....

Don't wanan find out it is restricted at all in a few months when it is not so fun to work on it.....

jayoldschool
10-09-08, 09:05 AM
Great advice. My wagon has had cool heat since I bought it. I just did a new rad, so I will throw in a new thermostat and flush that core while I'm at it!

firstimecaddi
10-09-08, 09:53 AM
i flushed the radiator and heater core and replaced the thermostat this spring. Now in the mornings when I leave for work it is still pretty cool so I cut the heat on, but it's not coming as it should. Any suggestions?

N0DIH
10-09-08, 03:58 PM
I'll have to dig for it when I get time, but I flushed mine with CLR and let it soak with it and it always gets lots of junk out.

jayoldschool
10-09-08, 06:52 PM
Nice! I just bought a big bottle of CLR:thumbsup:

N0DIH
10-10-08, 01:57 AM
On the 94 FW, it is very easy, just pull the clamps, pull the lines, blow out with hose, then I blow out with air and the hold both hoses up high, and pour CLR on the bottom hose till the top hose fills up. I let it sit for as long as I can, then blast it out both directions till it runs clear.

JTraik
10-10-08, 10:57 AM
I just flushed my '95 last weekend. I purchased the car last August and put it away over the winter, took it out this past spring and didn't get around to flushing it until recently... the whole time I knew it absolutely needed to be done. I don't think the engine had ever been flushed... it took me 2 days to get the system perfectly flushed and clean. My reservoir tank was disgusting looking inside, I tried every chemical I could find and none of it really cleaned off that sediment... then I thought I would try some rust cutting media (stone pyramid looking things) out of my Eastwood media tumbler (for cleaning nuts and bolts). I put a ton of this media inside the reservoir, added some detergent and hot water and then shook the hell out of it... making sure that the media got into all reaches of the tank. That was the easy part, getting all the pieces of media back out of the tank was challenging... but if you do light inspections you will be able to tell if they are all out, and also if there is no rattling. But I must say by doing that procedure the tank is nearly spotless inside! My engine I had to flush on two separate days to make sure that no hint of brown was left in the coolant, and the heater core was flushed both ways on the two occasions as well! Now I am happy!

N0DIH
10-10-08, 11:05 AM
Real common thing the B/D body guys go is paint it black, looks great and never have to worry about the muck look inside. I agree, it can be nasty, it is oily, so try something that is petroleum based to clean. That purple cleaner like Castol has, or kerosene or gasoline (dangerous, be VERY careful!), or something like that.

I forget which paint, Elias probably knows, but it handles the high heat just fine.

I just flushed my '95 last weekend. I purchased the car last August and put it away over the winter, took it out this past spring and didn't get around to flushing it until recently... the whole time I knew it absolutely needed to be done. I don't think the engine had ever been flushed... it took me 2 days to get the system perfectly flushed and clean. My reservoir tank was disgusting looking inside, I tried every chemical I could find and none of it really cleaned off that sediment... then I thought I would try some rust cutting media (stone pyramid looking things) out of my Eastwood media tumbler (for cleaning nuts and bolts). I put a ton of this media inside the reservoir, added some detergent and hot water and then shook the hell out of it... making sure that the media got into all reaches of the tank. That was the easy part, getting all the pieces of media back out of the tank was challenging... but if you do light inspections you will be able to tell if they are all out, and also if there is no rattling. But I must say by doing that procedure the tank is nearly spotless inside! My engine I had to flush on two separate days to make sure that no hint of brown was left in the coolant, and the heater core was flushed both ways on the two occasions as well! Now I am happy!

JTraik
10-10-08, 11:11 AM
Real common thing the B/D body guys go is paint it black, looks great and never have to worry about the muck look inside. I agree, it can be nasty, it is oily, so try something that is petroleum based to clean. That purple cleaner like Castol has, or kerosene or gasoline (dangerous, be VERY careful!), or something like that.

I forget which paint, Elias probably knows, but it handles the high heat just fine.

Yeah I heard that... but I like to solve problems, not cover them up!