: CTS-V Folks don't have to feel so bad about the V's stock Diff anymore

CIWS
10-08-08, 03:22 PM
Many have complained about the "poor quality" and "bad design" from GM/Cadillac specifically, and American car manufacturers in general when referencing the differential used in the 04-07 CTS-V and it's ability to grenade after doing several hard launches and/ or inducing wheel hop. "How could they build a 50,000 dollar car with such a weak part. What were they thinking ?" "American car's quality simply sucks compared to the Japanese" etc, etc.

Well folks you don't have to feel so bad about your diff any longer. For straight out of the superior car building quality of the far east has come the top of the line performance car from Nissan motors, the R35 GT-R. Hailed as one of the great production masters of the Ring and producer of 12.* second 1/4 mile times, all for only 75,000 + with it's computer launch control to yank you off the line and propel you down the track or roadway. . . (scratching record sound)

But wait. Now there appears there's a bad design issue going on in the Nissan R35 realm and owners who chose to use the newly designed launch control of the GT-R will end up destroying their transmission , and guess what folks ? Nissan will not cover it under warranty and are telling their owners not to use a feature designed into the car (warned in the owner's manual) or they will end up paying up to 20,000 to replace the transmission. :eek:

http://www.nissangtrclub.com/showthread.php?t=1441

The car records how it's been treated (VDC off - # of times, etc) so no BS'n the dealership/Nissan.

Publicly advertised 0-60 times achieved by using a function designed into the car, but will possibly void the warranty of the destroyed part(s) if used by the owner. Does any of this sound familiar to the CTS-V owners ?

Anyway the whole point of the post is to point out that other manufactures have issues too, even in the best designed, most expensive cars they make. Certainly no excuse for a poor design decision, but GM isn't the only ones with them, and even the Japanese designs can experience them. :)

Edit - Pics of a dead one.

http://i36.tinypic.com/6912xh.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/fn4eut.jpg

CTSV_510
10-08-08, 03:26 PM
:eek:

Jon
10-08-08, 03:27 PM
That's why their owner's manual has this page:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/jacks996/webpage%20pics/img1221318574983.jpg

LOL

Kmajecki
10-08-08, 03:33 PM
Wow that's even worse than the V. I mean Cadillac did build a whole under 5 marketing campaign, but Nissan built this advanced launch control system into the car and then said you cant use it. Maybe that's why the car is so cheap! $75k + X number of $20k tranny replacements! That is CRAZY!

FIVEOH!!!
10-08-08, 03:36 PM
So much for a SUPER car.

sleepys4
10-08-08, 03:39 PM
That is Crazy! A whole page of transmission replacement. They know owners are going to want to use this feature.

LUVMY04V
10-08-08, 03:40 PM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7576/gtwarrxs2.jpghttp://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1522/atgboxss2.jpg

JD03Cobra
10-08-08, 03:42 PM
Not suprised nor do I like that car.

4DoorGTZ
10-08-08, 03:42 PM
And should a couple salespeople take pre-delivery cars out to the track, they're just ensuring those customers come back real soon.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/235661/dealers-busted-drag-racing-pre-delivery-gt-rs/

CtsVrod
10-08-08, 03:44 PM
Yea that whole Black Box thing I was reading about in these Cars is CRAZY!! You cant even drive the car for what it was built for?? I would be pissed if I bought that car, and came to find out I couldnt even take it to the track (road course) without them knowing every intimate detail - which will then VOID my warranty because I used the car what it was designed for. :mad:
I hope Cadi doesnt put one of those in the V2

Jon
10-08-08, 03:50 PM
And should a couple salespeople take pre-delivery cars out to the track, they're just ensuring those customers come back real soon.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/235661/dealers-busted-drag-racing-pre-delivery-gt-rs/
The owner of those 2 cars actually posted about that. He owns the dealership and those were his 2 personal cars he just picked up.

Twitch
10-08-08, 03:51 PM
Oh maaan. Thought you were gonna say you dumped the STS diff.
I was really rooting for ya.

4DoorGTZ
10-08-08, 03:57 PM
The owner of those 2 cars actually posted about that. He owns the dealership and those were his 2 personal cars he just picked up.

Darn, guess its not soo bad then. Guess he gets a deal on parts and labor then.

BacDoc
10-08-08, 03:59 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/delongedoug/OT/gtrrrod.jpg

CIWS
10-08-08, 04:08 PM
I find it interesting some of the parallels occurring.

1. Car is initially advertised performing at a level that could potentially damage it and cause a voided warranty for the damaged part.

2. Despite how it was shown to perform, the response is now "Car is designed for road course performance, not at a drag track."

3. At this point there seems to be some misunderstanding about how/if they'll cover the failed part. Some are doing it and some are not.

Thank goodness the V diff will only set you back 3500.00 :D

Jayrcr3
10-08-08, 04:13 PM
This can't be true. Not the almighty Nissan GTR!!!!!!!

lollygagger8
10-08-08, 04:15 PM
Now they feel the ass pounding that GM dealt us V owners, but on a whole new level! Dang I actually almost feel sorry for em....almost

MauiV
10-08-08, 04:16 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/gt-rmotivator.jpg

onebadcad
10-08-08, 04:18 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/gt-rmotivator.jpg

Nice, very nice! Buy the C6Z and forget about the diff issues, well not really, but it sounded good.

rand49er
10-08-08, 04:36 PM
GT-R = Overdone rice.

heavymetals
10-08-08, 04:43 PM
Japan has bean counters to :duck:

Maybe GETRAG can supply an "off road" replacement........:histeric: :rolleyes:

tophat02
10-08-08, 05:50 PM
I have to admit that I love the GT-R. I am still thinking about picking one up some day. That being said, if I do I can guarantee that I will NEVER use the launch control.

I'm just wondering how SOTP acceleration feels in the GT-R versus a Maggie'd V. A Maggie is a LOT cheaper!

JD03Cobra
10-08-08, 06:02 PM
GT-R = Overdone rice.

Yummy Fried Rice!

rand49er
10-08-08, 06:06 PM
... I'm just wondering how SOTP acceleration feels in the GT-R versus a Maggie'd V. A Maggie is a LOT cheaper!Maggied V 0-60 is mid-four seconds.

Isn't the GT-R low threes? :confused:

The Tony Show
10-08-08, 06:13 PM
Maggied V 0-60 is mid-four seconds.

Isn't the GT-R low threes? :confused:

Only about three or four times, from the looks of it. Sort of like the old saying about putting a 400 shot of nitrous on a car.

"It'll do a ten second 1/4 mile. Once." :lol:

Time for the magazines to re-test the GT-R without disabling the VDC or using launch control. 0-60 in 5.1 just doesn't have the same ring to it, eh?

mbiker97
10-08-08, 06:17 PM
Not surprising at all. Something has to fail when you have a bunch of motor and traction (just like the WRX when it first came out). Knowing how to drive is the real key.

nikon
10-08-08, 06:36 PM
I'm sure porch is gonna a have field day with this one......

Doctornick
10-08-08, 08:12 PM
Meh...

http://bordumb.com/gtr/IMG_8725900.jpg

tophat02
10-08-08, 08:40 PM
Meh...

Wow! That's disappointing. I wonder what was up with that. Aren't those things supposed to be in the 11s? :confused:

ROG
10-08-08, 08:44 PM
Wow! That's disappointing. I wonder what was up with that. Aren't those things supposed to be in the 11s? :confused:

Maybe they weren't using launch control! :bigroll:

CadzillaTN
10-08-08, 10:27 PM
5.1 is plenty fast, if you can do it over and over..

"It'll do a ten second 1/4 mile. Once."
thats halarious.... kind of like my 4.6 second V?:worship:

Rich H
10-08-08, 10:48 PM
Yea that whole Black Box thing I was reading about in these Cars is CRAZY!! You cant even drive the car for what it was built for?? I would be pissed if I bought that car, and came to find out I couldnt even take it to the track (road course) without them knowing every intimate detail - which will then VOID my warranty because I used the car what it was designed for. :mad:
I hope Cadi doesnt put one of those in the V2

Don't be too sure that GM can't gather enough information from your PCM to tell how you drive your V now. There are enough sensors to gather lots of data on acceleration, cornering, braking, etc that feed your stability control system for them to figure this out. I have a feeling they check this every time I take mine in for warranty work.

SLPR 6.0L
10-08-08, 11:06 PM
Saw one in St Louis, FUGLY!

lollygagger8
10-09-08, 01:54 PM
Funny how almost the same exact speed gets different ET's

Meh...

http://bordumb.com/gtr/IMG_8725900.jpg

mikes2nd
10-09-08, 02:07 PM
You can put a bow on a 350z and call it a GT-R... but its still a pig of 350z with a crappy tranny...

well they call them 370z's now :)

StealthCTSVJJL
10-09-08, 05:32 PM
Blown diffs is nothing new on high performance cars, especially on modified cars. I owned a Honda S2000 and that car was advertised with a 0-60 time that required a 7500 rpm clutch drop (redline was over 8 k), so diffs where blowing left and right just check the S2000 forums. I also had an Audi TT with the 225 Hp engine that had been modded to 265 hp with an MTM chip, that one also blew the diff on me, even though I rarely dropped the clutch from a start, which BTW is the only manner in that car which to achieve advertised 0-60.
And the differences on those cars in 0-60 without a hard launch is huge, at least the V is so torquey it will still only be a few tenths off because of a lazier start.
As a leftover from the muscle car days I have seen GM 12 bolt diffs and Dana diffs on Chryslers get obliterated from high powered starts.

rand49er
10-09-08, 06:05 PM
Blown diffs is nothing new on high performance cars, especially on modified cars. I owned a Honda S2000 and that car was advertised with a 0-60 time that required a 7500 rpm clutch drop (redline was over 8 k), so diffs where blowing left and right just check the S2000 forums. I also had an Audi TT with the 225 Hp engine that had been modded to 265 hp with an MTM chip, that one also blew the diff on me, even though I rarely dropped the clutch from a start, which BTW is the only manner in that car which to achieve advertised 0-60.
And the differences on those cars in 0-60 without a hard launch is huge, at least the V is so torquey it will still only be a few tenths off because of a lazier start.
As a leftover from the muscle car days I have seen GM 12 bolt diffs and Dana diffs on Chryslers get obliterated from high powered starts.You know, you bring up a good point.

All these 0-60 and 1/4 mile times put out by both the manufacturers and the rags are really meaningless unless you can do it day in and day out ... NOT just once then don't do it anymore 'cause she'll blow up.

Next time I see some phenomenal 0-60 time in car ad or article, I'm going to be far more likely to challenge it as BS and not representative of it's true capabilities.

(BTW, you said, "blown diffs" and the GT-R's case was a tranny. But, I know what you mean. :highfive:)

CIWS
10-09-08, 06:07 PM
At least something is getting blown for these kind of prices :eek:

nikon
10-09-08, 06:10 PM
^^ :histeric:

MauiV
10-09-08, 06:52 PM
I find it hillarious that the tranny is 1/4 the price of the whole car new.

CTSV_Rob
10-09-08, 09:27 PM
I'm guessing they won't let you "test" the feature on a test drive :D

LV_V
10-09-08, 10:58 PM
For serial hahaha

CTSV_510
10-09-08, 11:14 PM

:histeric:

heavymetals
10-09-08, 11:18 PM
Someone eluded to also having a waiver to sign when bought. :confused:

Yeah, that will stop people from trying to break it......

lollygagger8
10-10-08, 09:44 AM
Someone eluded to also having a waiver to sign when bought. :confused:

Hahahhaa, hours of negotiating a price for a car, and then you come to an agreement, then you are ready to sign on the dotted line....then the salesman pulls out a waiver "sign here saying that you won't test the manufacturers 0-60 claim" <- :brutal:

rand49er
10-10-08, 10:06 AM
Someone eluded to also having a waiver to sign when bought. :confused: ...What a joke.

The more posts I read, the more I realize this car is a joke. A marketing guy's wetdream, but the car is an absolute joke.

Nissan to all the car magazines: "Ha ha! Fooled ya!"

NormV
10-13-08, 08:56 PM
They make them sign!
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/carsumer-advocacy-nissan-refuses-to-replace-gt-r-owners-busted/

Norm

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 10:36 AM
They make them sign!
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/carsumer-advocacy-nissan-refuses-to-replace-gt-r-owners-busted/

Norm

Man I read the article, AND the posts that guy was posting...WOW!!! Sounds like he is screwed since the "black box" was recording his driving habits. Greeeattt.......I can see more automakers doing that now.

CadiBlk
10-14-08, 10:49 AM
I talked to two GT-R drivers this last weekend. First guy owns his and I asked him how he likes the launch control (this was before saying anything about their diff's grenading), he said that he likes his warranty and hasn't used it yet....$70k+ well spent. The second guy writes for the local newspaper in the auto section and gets a new car every couple weeks to do a writeup about. He was very in love with the car since it has a backseat that can be used and a trunk. I was discussing the launch control and the diff problems and he said that he couldn't test it because either the launch control was broken or the factory disabled it. I told him I bet it was disabled so the journalists don't blow the rear while testing. He also told me that he had his first street race in this decade against a GTO and when he let up at 130mph the GTO was only half a car back and the newpaper guy could see the GTO in his peripheral vision. The GTO has had some work, but it wasn't blown. Granted he couldn't use the launch control against him, but the GT-R still has all wheel drive and should have came out of the start a lot more stout than the GTO.

FWIW

nmaier2201
10-14-08, 11:15 AM
HAHAHAHAH I love the three red rings of death, that is FANTASTIC:devil:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/delongedoug/OT/gtrrrod.jpg

nmaier2201
10-14-08, 11:30 AM
The sad thing is, that even with Nissan's blatant misleading of the public, and their horrible design flaws.....everyone in the media will still love nissan as a company, and the public will still continue to think they are a fantastic company right next to toyota and honda....
:thepan:

lollygagger8
10-14-08, 01:48 PM
The sad thing is, that even with Nissan's blatant misleading of the public, and their horrible design flaws.....everyone in the media will still love nissan as a company, and the public will still continue to think they are a fantastic company right next to toyota and honda....
:thepan:

Especially if they hurry up and release the 370Z, so people can forget about the GTR for a little bit.
Also, with GM talking about trying to merge with Ford/Chrysler :puke: that doesn't really help American automobile perception.

EDIT: Pretty interesting how the same company that made the Veyron’s tranny made this one….and the first 50 or so Veyron’s transmissions blew up.

p0ng0rs
10-14-08, 02:41 PM
Since everyone's drinking their Nissan h8orade heres another story:

My best friend bought an '03 Z the moment they came out (sick burnt orange too) and took meticulous care of it, never modded a thing past a K&N, and rarely even drove it hard for the 110k he put on it, mostly highway commuting miles with the brunt of his agressive driving at highway rolling speeds. The car has been in the shop for a decent amount of warranty work including tranny when his shift fork pivot bolt snapped, a bunch of sensors, electronic speedo(entire instrument cluster replaced for that) and some other misc stuff. Never went too long on an oil change, and right at 110k (coincidentally it started as he was driving to my house to fly out to IL with me to pick up my V) ... drumroll please... rod knocky knocky. D:

How in the hell an N/A motor spins a bearing at 110k unmodded is beyond me unless there's oiling issues with low pressure, squirters, etc. Either way its a beat deal. Lucky for him he found an Infinity dealer willing to "overlook" the odd noise and offer him full trade in price for his car toward an 08 g37s, unlike the 2 Nissan dealers that told him to pound sand and offered him $3k for the car.

rand49er
10-14-08, 03:42 PM
:thepan:Not a word about this big snafu in the Car & Driver that arrived in my mail today, though they write about the car on page 62. They do, however, admit it has "massive understeer."

Let's just see if it ever gets mentioned in future issues. :helpless:

The Tony Show
10-14-08, 07:44 PM
If any of those car rags had a shred of decency and commitment to honest reporting, they'd re-test the GT-R with no launch control and VDC left on- fat chance of that happening, though.

The numbers they've been pimping that helped Nissan sell all those cars are unobtainable by anyone who values their warranty, unlike the Z06 and ZR-1 which can not only produce those numbers without breaking, but will also be covered by The General if they do.

CIWS
10-14-08, 08:11 PM
Heheh - Comments sound so similar to the CTS-V owners over the years about the diff :D

MauiV
10-14-08, 09:29 PM
Cept most diffs were covered and didnt cost $20k (1/4 the price of the car) to fix