: Custom one of a kind Ti Catback

Naf
10-08-08, 09:07 AM
BU WA HA HAHAHAHAHAHA

I was surfin the net late one night and i came across a reseller of titanium in the US, not this CHINA crap we all keep findin...We exchanged a few emails back and forth and he explained to me i would be able to fabricate a Ti exhaust system very easily...He is going to supply me 2.75"x48"x0.050" pipe, 24"x48"x0.040 Sheets, and a spool for my MIG welder...

My plan to to mimic the Stock exhaust system but increase the dia by a quarter inch. This way i keep the backpressure reasonable, as well as keep the sound level to a minimum...I will either have a cross pipe or fabricate my own Ti resonator. At the end i will have two OBX Ti mufflers with a 3" inlet and a 4" outlet. I looked on Youtube for sounds of these mufflers, but cant seem to find anything...

The purpose of this creation, well, i am buildin a sweet little LS2 with all the nice little bells and whistles. To compliment this i have kooks 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats flyin in, but to make this an ultimate build, i needed something that not everyone has at their finger tips...The one mod no one else can get excet for one other guy is the Ti catback...Corsa made ONE, and only one, retail price $2500$...STEEP, not to mention unavailable.

What sparked all of this, well its simple...I dont have a GF so my expenses have been minimal, and when i have money in the bank i seem to spend it all...Not to mention i am bored when readin theads on the forum...No one seems to be doing any projects...The last guy that had me going was the Twin turbo setup...Everything else are issues that could be resolved at the dealer or through common search in the history...

Price of Mod: $1500
Difficulty of Mod, 1 easy 10 difficult: 10 to the power of 10
Performance Increase: Unknown
Weight: featherLight

On my other fronts i hope to have most of my cosmetics done by my birthday.

My CTS-VR hood is comin along, i am switchin from CF louvers to Ti for the esae of construction. PLus they dont bend nor break very easily like the CF...Additionally if i burn the car the Ti louvers will live to work again on another vehicle...:histeric:

Oct 13: FG2 Shocks being installed
Oct 16: Removal of Front end, fenders Oil Cooler, Rad and Camshaft
Oct 17: Installtion of Cam as well as Rad, Larger Oil Cooler, and new powersteerin Cooler. Arrival of ULTRA strong double sided tape.
Oct 18: Return of Front end with Ti underplate for scrappin protection
Oct 19: Reassembly of CF Fenders, Front end, and CTS-VR Hood
Oct 20-22: Fabrication of front splitter for better airflow
Oct 23: Send to LLUMAR for Highend polish and Clear Bra
Nov 3: My Big Day....

I have a friend with a Mustang Dyno and i will document with what i have now, and see where i will be...I will keep you all posted to my numbers to be...

BTW anyone still have the VARARAM spacer on their cars? Has it really made a diff...60$ for a peice of rubber is QUITE EXPENSIVE...

Kmajecki
10-08-08, 09:39 AM
Seems like a lot of work for a few pounds saving, but it's cool that you're trying something new! Once the TI exhaust is done feel free to try making me a Ti diff!
:thumbsup:

Bigron
10-08-08, 09:42 AM
CF fenders? Who is selling those?

CadiBlk
10-08-08, 09:52 AM
You make me sick.

Good luck with the projects.

Twitch
10-08-08, 10:02 AM
Is titanium gonna bend like the regular pipes?

Naf
10-08-08, 10:18 AM
You make me sick.

Good luck with the projects.

How come? I dont smell or look odd enough to provoke nausia?

Is titanium gonna bend like the regular pipes?

Good question, I tried a flat sheet...I torched it for a while and while it was hot it bent easy enough to a point and then stopped....I will, however, go to muffler shops and have them bend me the parts i need...Even after some abuse my sample is HARD as a rock...i rolled it a little and by hand it wont bent with out excess effort...0.050" thickness...

I have run into a small snag. Upon online searchin the weldin seems easy enough, but the only issue would be the cleansliness of my workspace...It must be free of everything...MY GOD, i am so over my head on this, but so worth it for weight...

Specter is your best guess for the CF fenders...But be warned they are expensive...

CtsVrod
10-08-08, 03:11 PM
Im interested to see how the Welding Turns out on this one... I actually went to Wyotech about 4 years ago, and took the Chassis Fab/High Perf. Engines/Hot Rod Classes, and learned alot of welding stuff. NEVER touched TI. Alot of Aluminum (PAIN), Steel, and Stainless. You should be careful about your shielding gas as well, I know aluminum was very picky and can contaminate easily. Im surprised you can do this with a MIG as well... I cant stand those things - Messy, Sloppy, with Little Control. TIG is the best way to go in my Opinion - Much more heat control, and much Cleaner - you can also adjust your nozzle to flow your shield gas's differently (which you can do with MIG as well), and change out your Tungsten, which you'll prob need to do with TI as well. Not sure how you would approach this with a MIG.

What kind of MIG are you using as well - what Kind of Wavelength do you use on TI??

Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

Bueller
10-08-08, 04:23 PM
You didn't mention pushing Argon on the backside. Good luck.

Buy plenty of stock for practice.

CtsVrod
10-08-08, 04:32 PM
You didn't mention pushing Argon on the backside. Good luck.

Buy plenty of stock for practice.

:yeah:

I actually thought about that too (Second Argon Source for the Backside)... Helps alot with Aluminum. If your welding up Pipe I would probably feed some Argon into the pipe

I actually had a buddy that was trying to weld Magnesium - Went through ALOT of scrap before he could even get a descent bead laid down. He ended up have to weld the stuff in a sealed room, with not so much as a slight breeze and with Shielding gas surrounding the whole piece.

Naf
10-09-08, 02:05 AM
Oh i need to have aragon at the point of weldin, trailin and behind the article i am weldin...I have to be creative with my welds and locations of weldin...Like you said they get contaminated quickly...

I have to prep the whole thing with rubbin alchohol, then right before i begin to weld i need to run a hair dryer to dry any moister i may have around the welding point...A challenge i have infornt of me...

But you know, to be a pioneer has its benefits over being a follower...BRAGGIN RIGHTS...

Btw i was up till about midnight talkin with mustang dyno to help fix my friends dyno...The inertia brake wasnt workin, and after 6 hours of trouble shootin i found it was a loose wire from the power supply....

Naf
10-10-08, 03:46 AM
Latest update...

i ordered the pipes and sheets and UPS swear it only weighs 10LB for ALL MY MATERIAL...OMG this is gonna be LITE AS A FEATHER...

I also got with a company in Australia called Xforce, they have a muffler that can be a staight through exhaust and with a flip of a switch quiet as a mouse...Seems to be very nice for my application...Best of all worlds...

Will keep you all posted...

p0ng0rs
10-10-08, 10:58 AM
Do you have anymore info on that muffler? That might be something I'm very interested in for another car.

Naf
10-10-08, 02:59 PM
Do you have anymore info on that muffler? That might be something I'm very interested in for another car.

Here you go...THEY ARE AMAZIN...

http://xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29

Bueller
10-10-08, 03:08 PM
How much are their titanium mufflers?

Naf
10-10-08, 04:28 PM
The SS are 399AuD...About 300USD
I am waitin on the Ti version...

Bad Ass NO?

Naf
10-12-08, 08:08 AM
Latest news, inquiry has been sent to Xforce through my Auzzie friend....I will be takin their single oval canister...6 high, 10 wide an 14 long. Now if i could only figure out a way to have them operate when i turn the traction control off....When in competition mode they are wide open in normal drivin, they are closed...

HMMMM, anyone have ay ideas?

Ti material has left the supplier and is destined here by next week.

Naf
10-22-08, 08:39 AM
The Material has ARRIVED...Woohoo!!!

I am modifyin the Kooks/SW Cats so they will fit my 2.75" catback...

The car is off to the dealer tomorro for front end squeekin and driver door seal change.

Sunday i will drop it with my body shop who will remove the whole front end, and fenders as well as headlights...Fix up the scratches on the front Bumper and install a Ti plate for future protection...

The same or next day i will bring it to my local dealer garage where i will do two things.
Remove the stock Catback and Cats
Install my new Aussie Cam (which has a nice long list of things that aught to be done before i can get to the cam...)

Naf
11-02-08, 09:11 AM
Ok, i got the mufflers but they will need work to fit our cars...LOTS of WORK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f6to5p_YGw

Check it out...

Bueller
11-02-08, 08:01 PM
Those look like Stainless but the video is bad. How much were the Ti muffs?

Are the guts and electronics Ti too? Can't wait to see the whole system. You know you have to weigh it and the stock one to compare.

Rock on!

shadybx7
11-02-08, 10:40 PM
Ok, i got the mufflers but they will need work to fit our cars...LOTS of WORK
Check it out...

What kid of work, do you have to cut anything out of the way??

these Varex Mufflers are a great idea. i think i might just put a set of these on my stock exhaust with an x-pipe and be done

Naf
11-03-08, 03:10 AM
Those look like Stainless but the video is bad. How much were the Ti muffs?

Are the guts and electronics Ti too? Can't wait to see the whole system. You know you have to weigh it and the stock one to compare.

Rock on!

regretefully they wouldnt make it out of Ti...Its SS :-(

The ufflers weigh about 20lb each

What kid of work, do you have to cut anything out of the way??

these Varex Mufflers are a great idea. i think i might just put a set of these on my stock exhaust with an x-pipe and be done

Plenty of fabrication, weldin, bendin cuttin blah blah blah...I am going to stick a little SS 3"-2.75" pipe so i may merge the two together....

So far its ~40lb plus material