: Is it okay to throw my winter tires on now?

perfect
10-07-08, 06:32 PM
Hey everyone

When I bought my 05V last May the rear tires were (I suspect) the original Goodyear runflats. At 43k miles they are clearly starting to show their wear. There is very little tread left and the final straw was a slight spin out turning in an intersection today. The fronts are brand new Goodyears.

This summer I snagged a set of 4 near perfect Blizzak LM-22's from a former V owner.

I was going to wait until it got much colder and the threat of snow actually facilitated the need for these tires but I'm not keen on running on two bad tires as it is.

So, is this okay? Is it bad to run snow/winter tires when it's barely even cold out?

Thanks guys! :worship:

nxlr8
10-07-08, 07:13 PM
You will eat 'em up... warm roads do not play well with winter tires...
They will work, but you will take more life off them than if it were really cold.

mbiker97
10-07-08, 07:30 PM
LM 22s can be run year round actually. All the higher performance snows can be since they aren't the super soft stuff like real snow tires.

CadiBlk
10-07-08, 07:31 PM
Uhh, 43k on the originals? Mine originals were basically racing slicks at 16k with moderate driving....

As said before winter tires wear fast, so you might be able to pick of some summer tires on sale at the end of this summer season and only run them until winter hits and then you'll have a fresh set next summa.

perfect
10-07-08, 07:36 PM
Uhh, 43k on the originals? Mine originals were basically racing slicks at 16k with moderate driving....

As said before winter tires wear fast, so you might be able to pick of some summer tires on sale at the end of this summer season and only run them until winter hits and then you'll have a fresh set next summa.

I bought the car at 39k and the rears were pretty low. I have no idea if they are the originals or not (probably not).

I'm gonna mount the lm-22's and just use those. I have been keeping my eyes peeled on craigslist for a pair of cheap 245/45/18's that are actually decent but haven't seen anything

i'm sure during the winter it'll be a bit easier

thanks for the advice

MicoJones
10-07-08, 08:06 PM
RWD? And u said your backs were bad, what about the fronts? Is it worth swapping em and waiting til the winter? You'll trash those winter tires running em now, even in KC...

perfect
10-07-08, 08:15 PM
i don't think i'd want nearly bald tires on my front...

CTSV_510
10-07-08, 08:27 PM
I probably won't put my winter wheels for at least another 2 months. Early to mid December, it usually doesn't snow before that.

If you mount them, just be prepared to take it easy because they will break loose WAY sooner than you're used to. I have LM-22s on my winter wheels and last winter, coming off an off-ramp on the way to work with moderate throttle in dry conditions, stabili-trak saved me when I wasn't expecting the rear end to swing out. And that was bone stock. This winter should be more interesting...

Rey
10-08-08, 11:56 AM
You will not like one bit the performance of OEM tires in any kind of snow, whatsoever. They are like beachballs.
Old friend Myron Cottrell, owner of TPIS, has a CTS-V with Dunlop Winter Sports that he uses year around. He is also a track instructor at Brainard Raceway and has tracked his CTS-V using these tires. He says they are wonderful year around tires with good wear qualities. I can attest that the noise levels are comparable to my summer tires.

smoothq
10-08-08, 12:05 PM
i don't think i'd want nearly bald tires on my front...

So how much driving do you think you will put on in the next six months? Second your tires should be fine for at least 10K miles and still have half tread these arn't drag radials... lol. People dont realize that winter tires usually last 20K mles before needing to be replaced... if your driving normal. It sounds like you dont want to spend money on tires yet so if I were you I would put them on and save up for some good tires come spring. You will be perfectly fine for the winter.

Jon
10-08-08, 12:19 PM
Who said the damn "w" word?? It's not that time yet!!! I refuse to believe it.

But really... I'm putting my winter wheels and tires on next weekend and then putting the car away in a couple weeks probably. Yeah, I have winter rubber to store the car on. Kinda stupid.

perfect
10-08-08, 03:32 PM
okay,

so I got my LM-22's installed....and now I have some questions:

Should I hear a noticeable whine coming from these tires?

The reason I'm asking is because the local Goodyear decided that my V needed a few additional miles (about 5 according to my trip odometer) and now I'm hearing a whine....ughhh!!!! Not sure if it is the tires or if they did something.

I am not happy right now...

ichpen
10-08-08, 03:36 PM
okay,

The reason I'm asking is because the local Goodyear decided that my V needed a few additional miles (about 5 according to my trip odometer) and now I'm hearing a whine....ughhh!!!! Not sure if it is the tires or if they did something.

Oh mate. I feel for you. First service I had with a dealer up here in canada had cost me 10 miles of hard teenage driving. According to the rep the car needed this as well as a mildly curbed wheel.

Needless to say I never leave it unattended at any dealership/shop I do not trust of have a relationship with.

To answer your question, winter tires are noisier.

Have you checked your G meter recently? :)

p0ng0rs
This is more of a common sense question rather than tech spec's.. performance drops with snows, you wear any tires on the car, winters wear faster than (some) summers and of course all tires lose performance the more their worn. I've personally driven even CHEAP as dirt snows for 2 straight years on a daily driver out of laziness and there was still some knobbies left, which translates into a lot of winters if that's all you used them for.. adding a couple of months isn't a huge deal. If it makes more sense financially to toss your snows on now rather than drop the loot to get summers theres no harm.

Winter tires are notably noisier than summers. It should be easy to tell whether its tire noise or something broken.. I would suspect its just the tires.

Jon
okay,

LM22s are like that. I have a set of those.

Jon
10-08-08, 03:37 PM
Oh mate. I feel for you. First service I had with a dealer up here in canada had cost me 10 miles of hard teenage driving. According to the rep the car needed this as well as a mildly curbed wheel.

Needless to say I never leave it unattended at any dealership/shop I do not trust of have a relationship with.

I specifically ask them not to test drive my car. My service advisor understands and is cool with that.

ichpen
10-08-08, 03:47 PM
In addition I have asked them never to wash it or to guarantee buy-back if they ever get near it with a sponge.... But that's another story.

NormV
10-08-08, 03:54 PM
The north coast here in Ohio might see almost one half foot in October but is clear from the roads ins few hours. The surface temps are too warm here.

My sister lives in the Ambler/Bucks Co area and would tell not to put on the snows yet. When your area gets hit it gets dumped on and everything stops. :)

Norm

perfect
10-08-08, 04:14 PM

apparently this was a tandem joy ride as I had left the front passenger seat in an uncomfortable upright position and moved way forward, and of course it's in a nice seating angle now.

I'm going to go there right after work but I doubt the manager will believe me

:thehand:

p0ng0rs
10-08-08, 04:28 PM
Oh he'll believe you, he'll just happen to have a momentary lapse of reason and have no recollection of whipping your car around ;)

mgscustomtune
10-29-08, 08:36 PM
I put my EAGLE MS EMT on yesturday. I was tuning a fleet of Duramax's on South Shore of Lake Superior thank goodness l did there was a snowsquall it was worth flip of tires for my trip. Today there was a major winter storm in Eastern Ontario/Upper North East U.S.A just missing where l am. I live on the North Shore of Lake Ontario zero snow and the forcast is for warmer weather over the next week. Makes me want to take the snow tires back off until l see snow coming but do not want to get caught like l did last year with my summer tires still on. I was going to put a beater on the road this winter but l just can't part with the V. :

racebyu
10-29-08, 09:30 PM
I just got the winter tires put on the other day also.
Never know when its going to snow up here in Canada
and with the strange weather you never know.

ichpen
10-30-08, 12:03 AM
I have brand new Michelin Alpins on shiny virtually brand new 18" GM accessory wheels just waiting to be installed (courtesy of previous owner). Also have the spare wheel kit also in a holding pattern for installation.

Holding out though until I start going sideways more than 50% of the time. :)

Jon
10-30-08, 01:08 AM
I have brand new Michelin Alpins on shiny virtually brand new 18" GM accessory wheels just waiting to be installed (courtesy of previous owner). Also have the spare wheel kit also in a holding pattern for installation.

Holding out though until I start going sideways more than 50% of the time. :)
Damn... Those are some nice wheels to be using for the winter.