: Required Riding: Lincoln Town Car

Jesda
10-07-08, 06:06 PM
http://jalopnik.com/cars/required-riding/required-riding-lincoln-town-car-171014.php

Nice little feature from Jalopnik about the last real traditional American car.

Night Wolf
10-07-08, 06:54 PM
It really is the end of an era :(

I'll be holding onto mine for quite some time to come.... it's just a great car.

Sandy
10-07-08, 07:50 PM
I think you can tell that I love mine, too.
It's engine is less problematical than the NorthStar.
Yes, the Charger SRT-8 and 300 SRT-8 and CTS V and others can blow
my doors off. So what?

If I want that kind of taut bumpy suspension with gobs of speed, I also have an asc/McLaren Mustang 5.0 with B-303 cam, Forged Pistons with integral skirts & oil groove drain-back holes engineered to withstand the internal forces of the increased engine output.
Wide-open throttle cut-out for accessories to max out power
Modified Caster & Camber
Increased suspension bushing, damper units & McLaren-Engineered Springs

revised braking with new linings, & a proportioning valve

Revised power steering to give more driver feedback
McLaren specific designed rocker arms to increase rev limit to 7,000 RPMs

Lowered ride height, Carrera 50/50 Shocks

So, if I wanna be a player, I got some stuff, definately seldom pedaled by a 61 year old, and if i wanna adorn a suit, and take the wife & another couple out to dinner - I take "Towniee" ~ 4-Get the Sixty Special....THAT is strictly "Garage Furnishing" and Window trimming.

I am NOT the boss over the Caddy. the Caddy is THE boss over me

I :worship: to her !!!!!

Destroyer
10-07-08, 10:21 PM
I think you can tell that I love mine, too.
It's engine is less problematical than the NorthStar.
Yes, the Charger SRT-8 and 300 SRT-8 and CTS V and others can blow
my doors off. So what?

If I want that kind of taut bumpy suspension with gobs of speed, I also have an asc/McLaren Mustang 5.0 with B-303 cam, Forged Pistons with integral skirts & oil groove drain-back holes engineered to withstand the internal forces of the increased engine output.
Wide-open throttle cut-out for accessories to max out power
Modified Caster & Camber
Increased suspension bushing, damper units & McLaren-Engineered Springs

revised braking with new linings, & a proportioning valve

Revised power steering to give more driver feedback
McLaren specific designed rocker arms to increase rev limit to 7,000 RPMs

Lowered ride height, Carrera 50/50 Shocks

So, if I wanna be a player, I got some stuff, definately seldom pedaled by a 61 year old, and if i wanna adorn a suit, and take the wife & another couple out to dinner - I take "Towniee" ~ 4-Get the Sixty Special....THAT is strictly "Garage Furnishing" and Window trimming.

I am NOT the boss over the Caddy. the Caddy is THE boss over me

I :worship: to her !!!!!You had me at "I love mine too" and then you lost me with all the Mustang stuff and Sixty special stuff. :alchi:

Sandy
10-08-08, 09:34 AM
I don't quite follow what you are saying. You do not like the Sixty Special ?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-08-08, 11:54 AM
Oh Sandy, your Sixty Special makes me all tingly inside. :cloud9:

Sandy
10-08-08, 04:56 PM
I love my Sixty Special I love my Sixty Special I love my Sixty Special

My Sixty Special is actually in my last will & testament !

I also love my Town Car. I love them both, equally.

I love my Sixty Special a little more, as my late Mom left me the $$$ in her will, stating that
I sould purchase the new Cadillac of my choice and pay cash from her will as I always wanted to
own and order to my specs a new Caddy, but I never could save up that much due to
paying bills. It was her final gift to me, from her grave.
How could I ever sell it, dislike it, etc....THAT is why I said It owens me

"I am not the boss over the Caddy ~ ~ the Caddy is Boss over me "

Destroyer
10-08-08, 11:23 PM
I don't quite follow what you are saying. You do not like the Sixty Special ?No it aint that. The thread was about Town Cars and really had nothing to with Sixty Specials or Mustangs. :alchi:

Sandy
10-09-08, 03:23 PM
OH, I AM SORRY. i JUST GET SO PASSIONATE OVER CARS, i LOSE MY WAY!
I WILL TRY TO NOT DO THAT AGAIN. I AM VERY PASSIONATE PERSONALITY :bouncy:

creeker
10-09-08, 03:47 PM
I WILL TRY TO NOT DO THAT AGAIN. I AM VERY PASSIONATE PERSONALITY :bouncy:

Hi'ya Sandy,what year is your town car?.

Destroyer
10-09-08, 04:06 PM
I WILL TRY TO NOT DO THAT AGAIN. I AM VERY PASSIONATE PERSONALITY :bouncy:Yes you are. :thumbsup:

Sandy
10-09-08, 08:25 PM
2003 Spring Feature Car "The Limited"
The one with the black vertical grille bars instead of chrome and a chrome
grille surround, black "pockets" on the wheels to match grille, unique interior 2-tone dash panel, loads of extra dash & door wood, MoonRoof, & more.

Check back, I may be able to post a photo.

http://images19.fotki.com/v207/photos/4/43979/179078/sandy4-vi.jpg?1124100164

heavymetals
10-09-08, 08:54 PM
I remember an ad featuring Catherine Deneuve (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIC_enUS225US229&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Catherine+Deneuve&spell=1) stretched out on the hood of a Lincoln Town car.

Does that date me or what?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-09-08, 10:53 PM
Wow, your town car has a front like I have never seen before. I hated the early '00 ones where the headlights went all the way to grill, but I really like the newest ones where it is a little more squared off up front. Yours is odd though. The lights curve around and everything but they do not touch the grill. Post some pictures of the trunk. I wanna see what this closing mechanism looks like.

I also like all the NASCAR stuff in your garage windows. :)

Sandy
10-09-08, 11:41 PM
Sorry, I have no other pics of the car on the web. The power closing feature motor is not visable. It's under the floor of the trunk. I've never seen it - but it sure is cool. It's a really nice car. The dash is beautiful. The floor mats have deep plush carpet & in fancy script embriorded with THE LIMITED
Loads of neat little touches.
Also the hood self raises after you lift it 1 inch.
Unlike other T.Cars, the door pull straps are leather in The Limited.
The taillamps are outlined in thin chrome framing. Dual Exhausts

thebigjimsho
10-13-08, 06:16 PM
I loved my '04 TC L Executive Series.

I dislike my '07 TC L Executive Series.

ryannel2003
10-13-08, 08:13 PM
I drove a Town Car for the first time today: my aunt's 94 TC Executive. Baby Blue (she said it was called a gray) with grey interior. At first, I thought I would hate it because it was so large and boat like. However, I absolutely LOVED it. It was comfortable, had great, easy to use gauges, and was the best riding car I've ever been in. It wasn't nearly as boat-like as I would have imagined. The car only has 43k miles on it and looks like new inside and out. I've driven Deville's of the same era and came away unimpressed for some reason. The TC was much nicer. After driving it for awhile, my Seville doesn't ride good at all, though the handling is much better.

However, I do not like the '98-'02? style. That grille, ugh. I'm not totally crazy over the '03 and up models, though Sandy's is gorgeous. That blacked out grille and the color really shine on that car. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-13-08, 10:47 PM
Funny you mention how much more you liked the T/C than the DeVille. As I'm sure you know, I had a '92 deVille, and the Town Cars just feel HUGE when compared to it...the steering is so vague, and the suspension is so....vague. Sure, it rides smoother, but my friends got seasick in a '94 Signature that I drove a long time ago...they never got seasick in the Sedan deVille.

Once again, Cadillac seeks a balance between a fine ride and good handling. Lincoln says "**** it" and spends all of their development time and money on creating the most flaccid ride available.

ryannel2003
10-13-08, 11:09 PM
Unfortunately I've never driven a '89-'93 DeVille... only a '97 and '99 model. Didn't like either of them to be honest... the '00 model was such a huge improvement in everything but styling. I guess you would compare the '98 TC to the '97-'99 Deville.

I would never want a Town Car. They're too large and boaty for me, but I do like the styling and ride of the older generation. Both cars ride better than my STS and even better than a few SLS's I've driven. The Seville (IMO) offers the best balance between ride and handling.

93DevilleUSMC
10-14-08, 01:53 AM
Required riding= Sarah Palin. Like a Ton Car, she is old school, but has great handling even with a roomy cabin...

Sandy
10-14-08, 11:01 AM
SKOOL IN CESSION :)

Beginning with the 2003s, FoMoCo totally altered the suspension, especially in the rear, using the Watts suspension. They CAN corner ! They are even "tossable" around turns and CAN - if asked - be driven rough & tumble. The braking is also superb for size & weight.
The down side is ON DEMND, I FREAKIN' WANT POWER NOW

> They can get up and go, but they move out like a typical limo would....
They are no longer BoAtY feeling - While not available from the factory, Ford parts offers a firm ride shock kit specially made for 03-09 T.C.s
(Common sence says that are probably the ones the factory uses on units ordered with the Limo Convertor Package....)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-14-08, 11:22 AM
The Town Cars I was referring to is the 1990-94 ones. It seems as though in '95, they revised the suspension and steering feel for....more feel. I almost bought a 1996 Executive Series about two years ago, but before that, I drove many 1990-94's, and the early ones do feel a lot boatier and older.

Sandy
10-14-08, 12:53 PM
Visti a Lincoln Dealer & tell the salesperson you are thinking about one and would like to drive one first, before going any further.

I hate to advise that, being a retired car salesman, you will be taking away that man's "turn" to speak with a customer, and the next person to come in, might buy, and if you didn't come in, it woulda been his deal.

But, it's something we all learn to live with. Go try a 2008/09, a new one.

All things being equal (Re: it's the largest non limo automobile in the world in length, width, and passenger capacity)
you'll see it has excellent brakes, great suspension, great toss me around ability and is whisper quiet and very comfortable.
Lazy on take-off, it "runs" rather than "gallops".
The STANDARD stero is :tisk: butthe optional one is great.
Try the self closing trunk ans self opening hood (Okay, yes, you do have to raise it 1 inch yourself....then it takes over.

ltdltc
10-15-08, 08:48 AM
The Town Cars I was referring to is the 1990-94 ones. It seems as though in '95, they revised the suspension and steering feel for....more feel. I almost bought a 1996 Executive Series about two years ago, but before that, I drove many 1990-94's, and the early ones do feel a lot boatier and older.

That boat feeling can be easily remedied by getting some better shocks. Got some Bilsteins on my 1995 Town Car and much much better. To bad my 1995 is dying.

Major suspension redesign on Panther cars occurred in 1991. Most of the front suspension is the same to 1997. Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis got them in 1992. In 1995 the front springs were stiffer.

1998 was slight upgrade, mainly bigger brakes and the addition of the Watts linkage bar to keep the rear axle stabilized. In 2003 is were numerous front end revisions were made, rack and pinion steering, offset increased and hydro formed frame. To bad 2003+ Panthers feel like a tugboat.

Drive a 1994 then a 2003. The 1994 will feel much better. The 2003 will handle better.

Jesda
10-15-08, 08:11 PM
How does a tugboat feel? I'm not nautical.

Sandy
10-16-08, 09:46 AM
Big. 3,500 pounds & 239 H.P. make for lack of NOW power. It's NOT a Charger SRT-8 ! More like a Grand Marquis. But my hot rod days have past, but I am liking that forthcoming V-10 Challenger R/T with 500 HP :) as a 2nd car.

Lord Cadillac
10-16-08, 10:57 AM
I've never owned a Town Car but I've always wanted to. I don't like the stiffer suspension on the newer models. I'd love a 77-79 Continental Town Car.. I'd even take a really, really clean 1990. The newest I'd go for would probably be a 2002 - though I prefer the look of the current models. To me, it's a very classy looking car.. I'm surprised Lincoln is putting it away.. They should have definitely redesigned it and kept it going..

Mark0101
10-16-08, 01:16 PM
Big. 3,500 pounds & 239 H.P. make for lack of NOW power. It's NOT a Charger SRT-8 ! More like a Grand Marquis. But my hot rod days have past, but I am liking that forthcoming V-10 Challenger R/T with 500 HP :) as a 2nd car.
You know there is plenty you can do with a Town Car as far as getting more power out of it. Do a tune as a start, UD pulley, and marauder Airbox. That should get it moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEg2mxThMys
His mods
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/274907/5

Aron9000
10-17-08, 02:20 AM
You know there is plenty you can do with a Town Car as far as getting more power out of it. Do a tune as a start, UD pulley, and marauder Airbox. That should get it moving.
YouTube - Lincoln town car vs lexus SC430 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEg2mxThMys)
His mods
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/274907/5

15.1@92 mph is what he ran, about what a stock 96 Fleetwood runs.

thebigjimsho
10-17-08, 03:17 PM
One of my cohorts up here in Boston has his own Town Car and it ain't normal. It's in the shop so often I always see him with his backup DTS. But he's got a TC with a 5.4 racing block and a positive displacement supercharger. And a whole bunch of other mods. He also needed a "little" exhaust work to keep the thing quiet enough.

But he claimed about 600hp, and I can't remember if that was to the wheels...

I've seen it run before, but not in anger.

Night Wolf
10-17-08, 04:58 PM
I drove a Town Car for the first time today: my aunt's 94 TC Executive. Baby Blue (she said it was called a gray) with grey interior. At first, I thought I would hate it because it was so large and boat like. However, I absolutely LOVED it. It was comfortable, had great, easy to use gauges, and was the best riding car I've ever been in. It wasn't nearly as boat-like as I would have imagined. The car only has 43k miles on it and looks like new inside and out. I've driven Deville's of the same era and came away unimpressed for some reason. The TC was much nicer. After driving it for awhile, my Seville doesn't ride good at all, though the handling is much better.

However, I do not like the '98-'02? style. That grille, ugh. I'm not totally crazy over the '03 and up models, though Sandy's is gorgeous. That blacked out grille and the color really shine on that car. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

'94 had the softer seats and softer suspension... '95-'97 it was firmed up, even more so with the Ride Control Package.... thing I don't like most about the '90-'94 style is the front end design and the dated dash... but man they have the floating on a marshmellow ride.

Chad.... you really need to drive my Town Car before I end up selling the darn thing! I dunno, maybe it dosen't handle all that good, but I think it's a really nice blend... it dosen't float at all, it has, IMO a firm ride for a TC, yet she handles... I mean, compared to the BMW with trashed shocks, the BMW is the one that floats and bobs around the highway, and has body roll around turns.... I'm pretty sure that as they both are right now, the Town Car could outhandle the BMW.... but that is also comparing a car with a nearly entirely rebuilt suspension system to an even older one that is all original.

Mark0101
10-18-08, 01:16 AM
One of my cohorts up here in Boston has his own Town Car and it ain't normal. It's in the shop so often I always see him with his backup DTS. But he's got a TC with a 5.4 racing block and a positive displacement supercharger. And a whole bunch of other mods. He also needed a "little" exhaust work to keep the thing quiet enough.

But he claimed about 600hp, and I can't remember if that was to the wheels...

I've seen it run before, but not in anger.
you mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33C7wqggIRg&feature=related

thebigjimsho
10-18-08, 03:02 AM
you mean this one?
YouTube - turbo lincoln town car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33C7wqggIRg&feature=related)That one is pretty awesome. My colleague's is newer and I have no clue how it would do on the strip. His problem is the tranny can't take the power...

Sandy
10-18-08, 01:57 PM
Nuttin new. Town Cars whip 'Stangs all the time !!

((Please, Please let me beleive that ~ Don't tell me I be wrong. Be kind !

thebigjimsho
10-18-08, 04:55 PM
Actually, every time I open the hood of a TC and see the 8-10" of space in front of the engine block and behind the radiator, visions of forced induction dance in my head...

hueterm
10-18-08, 05:33 PM
I'm still tempted by a '99-'02 TC Touring Sedan......just as a highway cruiser for when the Concours dies...