: Dreaded tranny flush, why no?

seanandniksts4
10-07-08, 04:55 PM
I have read all the posts about all the bad crap that happens with a tranny flush, but most threads I read say there is a problem when it is done INcorrectly, or the hoses hooked up wrong. My friend is the manager of a Jiffy Lube type place and he has a year old Dodge pick up which he has had on the T-Tech (that is what the flush system/machine is called) twice and his tranny is fine, there is an internal filter in the machine which he says should be changed every 3-4 flushings(except when he is doing mine or his, then we use a new one every time) also the hoses which you hook up to the tranny lines are only a few feet long and are easily flushed out.I just bought an "06 STS awd with 37k, So what would be the problem if I did a tranny flush and refill with Dexron VI, changed the tranny filter and gasket, cleaned the pan and magnet, and put a new filter in the machine and cleaned the hoses before using. I am buying the fluid myself and will be doing it along with my friend so I am pretty sure it will be done right, also how do I know when the tranny is full? I guess just measure what comes out when the pan is dropped and I believe the T-Tech puts the same volume in as it takes out, right? Wish me luck..

BaTu
10-07-08, 06:55 PM
I think it's really all about that, dreaded, Machine... Most flushes are done only After there's a trans problem and your going to get some of the, residual, bad fluid. Changing the filter would be good, but I've always stayed away from those things.

If your tranny is in good shape, why mix other peoples problems with it? In my '97 STS I simply took the top cooler line from the radiator and dumped it into a 5gal can and dumped 5gal of new fluid in at idle. Flushed the whole system, converter and all, with what I KNEW was good fluid :)

pjbizjak
10-07-08, 08:00 PM
Yes I'm a Jerk but I never had any tranny service done on my 93 STS, 2000 STS and so far not on my 07 STS. Never had a tranny problem. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it!

seanandniksts4
10-07-08, 08:48 PM
I know most people omly get this done when there is a tranny problem, but this fear of "residual" fluid, from where? there are only 2 hoses, 1 input and 1 output, I am bringing the case of Dexron VI which is in my trunk right now, and I will make sure the tank on the machine is dry/empty when I add my fluid, even plan on running the first quart through and into a waste tank before hooking to my tranny.

BaTu
10-07-08, 09:34 PM
I know most people omly get this done when there is a tranny problem, but this fear of "residual" fluid, from where? there are only 2 hoses, 1 input and 1 output, I am bringing the case of Dexron VI which is in my trunk right now, and I will make sure the tank on the machine is dry/empty when I add my fluid, even plan on running the first quart through and into a waste tank before hooking to my tranny.

I guess I would think, in the hoses, pump, tank, and hopefully all the "mud" should be caught by the filter... BUT... Why take th chance? What is it that the fouled-up machine really doing for you that you couldn't do, better, without it?

ewill3rd
10-08-08, 09:37 AM
I hate to use this phrase but... "it depends".

I dare say MOST of the cars we hook up our machines to are driving perfectly fine and we do the flush as a maintenance service. Some shops use it as a "diagnostic tool".
They see horrible fluid or the customer waits too long to bring the car in until the damage is done. Once the metal is loose in the system flushing it will usually make it worst or at the best postpone the inevitable.
Our guys are smart enough to know when the transmission needs flushed and when it needs repaired so we don't have the issue of "contaminated" equipment.

The point is, if the machine is used the way it is supposed to be then it is almost a non-issue, however if you get some moron using it to try to flush money out of someone's pocket as a promise of not having to tear down a dying transmission it could become a problem.
From the consumer's standpoint it is almost impossible to know the difference.
:(

nixonride
10-08-08, 02:35 PM
When I took my 07 STS into the stealership a few months back for the rear oil seal recall they told me that it is recommended to have the tranny flushed on these cars at 15K miles...I told them not to do it because I thought it was odd that they would need a tranny flush with such few miles...so I take it I did the right thing by not having it done.

ewill3rd
10-08-08, 03:01 PM
Maybe 50,000 but not 15,000.

Jesda
10-13-08, 02:02 AM
Do it as preventative maintenance, not as a fix. And yes, 50k not 15k lol. The shortest ATF service I've heard of is from Mazda and Nissan, whose JATCO gearboxes from the 1980s and 1990s have a 30k service interval.