: Starter Motor Nightmare!

425 Dual Quad
10-07-08, 01:50 PM
Hi all!

Hopefully someone can help me end my starter motor nightmare!

The starter in my wife's 93 Fleetwood Brougham (with the LO5 engine not the LT1) failed. The Bendix and clutches are gone.

Repalcement ones sent to me have 11 teeth on the gear wheel and not 8 teeth like the original. So it doesn't mesh properly with the ring gear and it doesn;t throw the gear in far enough to engage on the ring gear (or they bounce off becuase the teeth don't mesh - or something!) Either way I have score marks on the 11 teeth of the replacement starter.

I was told by my (highly reliable) dealer that it is an AC Delco PG250 series starter, the part numbers are AC Delco 323-480 or reman part # 10465143. It has 9000773 stamped on the starter.

Aftermarket part suppliers tell me that the 11 gear teeth and 8 gear teeth starts interchange and that they are the same part number. Clearly they don't interchange.

I need to get the right replacement starter. Since I'm in Ireland I don't want to risk having another shipped over that is wrong - and don't want to spring $350 for the dealer item if I don't have to. Although since my wife's car has been marooned for a month whilst this has been going on I might!

Is anybody able to tell me exactly what part number I should get?
Does anyone have one they could send me? (please?)
I have a buddy in New Jersey who could ship it to me in Ireland.

Thanks all, regards, Nick

jayoldschool
10-07-08, 05:24 PM
Nick, you should just get your original one rebuilt. There has to be a place over there that does starters.

The one with the different teeth should work, however. Are you sure you are shimming it correctly?

425 Dual Quad
10-08-08, 04:11 AM
Jay,

Thanks. The issue with rebuilding it is getting the casing open and getting the bendix. The casing of the solenoid is sealed to the starter with a press fit and not bolted on.
Also the guy who had it for rebuilding could not get the bendix.

I didn't want to start shimming the starter becuase I would have prefered a starter that fitted correctly without shimming it.

Where would I go in the US to get the right bendix and clutches?

thansk, Nick

jayoldschool
10-08-08, 01:39 PM
Jay,

Thanks. The issue with rebuilding it is getting the casing open and getting the bendix. The casing of the solenoid is sealed to the starter with a press fit and not bolted on.
Also the guy who had it for rebuilding could not get the bendix.

I didn't want to start shimming the starter becuase I would have prefered a starter that fitted correctly without shimming it.

Where would I go in the US to get the right bendix and clutches?

thansk, Nick

Well, there's your problem. They are designed to be shimmed. They come shimmed from the factory. You HAVE to shim it correctly to get your gear mesh properly set up. Your replacement starter should have come with thin metal shims, and a little rod to check the clearance between the flywheel and the starter gear.

425 Dual Quad
10-08-08, 05:17 PM
Ah, Interesting! Thanks. I'll check with my installer!

jayoldschool
10-08-08, 07:57 PM
Let me know if you need pictures of the shims, the feeler rod, and the instructions. All this stuff should have come in the box for the new starter.

425 Dual Quad
10-09-08, 07:42 AM
Jay,
Hi - yes that would be interesting! - and most useful, thanks. Feel free to post here or email me (cadillacs AT eircom.net (cadillacs@eircom.net))

thanks! :thumbsup: Nick

425 Dual Quad
11-29-08, 01:23 PM
Hi All!

This is getting frustrating!
The car has gone through 2 starters since September and is still at the shop. I had the original 8 or 9 tooth one rebuilt and it broke the nosecone off that and it cracked the mounting bolt tab off the aftermarket replacement 11 tooth one.
Since it was running very badly with no power I was wondering if I had a head gasket failure on the valley side leaking water into the cylinders adn hydraulicing the engine casuing it not to turn over when the starter tried to compress the cylinder with water in it, but no, the engine turns over by hand freely with the plugs out and no water is coming out of the plug holes.
The rotor was all chewed up and I have a new rotor and cap on it so hopefully this is the correct diagnosis for the poor running.
I want to get a new starter but need to get exactly the right one. The reman ones seem to run at about $69 and the Delco one from my Cadillac dealer is $350!!!
The part number stamped on the end of the original Delco starter is 9000773 and 3F18.
The aftermarket starters all seem to be 11 tooth and despite what people say it doesnt mesh with the ring gear, or rather it doesn't disengage from the ring gear.
Does anybody know, on the 1993 Fleetwoods with the LO5 engine (not the LT1) is it a 153 or 168 tooth flywheel? The engine should be the same one as in the Roadmasters, Caprice, Firebird and Camaro of that vintage.
Alternatively does anyone have an 8 (or maybe it is 9) tooth starter sitting around in their parts store they do not need please?

regards & thanks, Nick

75sled
12-02-08, 04:57 PM
I wish I could help you. I hate theses nagging problems. The only thing I can offer is Rock Auto.com. I have purchased a few things from them with no problems.

425 Dual Quad
12-03-08, 10:41 AM
Thanks 75sled. Hopefully its not a 10/11 gear starter.
Anyone else any other helpful suggestions please?

cadillac_al
12-08-08, 11:19 AM
http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9560

This is an informative post about B body starters. I thought I would throw it your way.

425 Dual Quad
12-08-08, 05:55 PM
Al,
Hi! Yes it's an interesting post. I've registered and put a post on. Chiefly becuase I've just ordered a new starter for the '93 and becuase it would seem from the post the LO5 has a 168 tooth flywheel whereas the others had a 153 tooth flywheel, so I'm not sure which starter to get!