: Stereo and alarm question

raoul742024
10-07-08, 02:55 AM
Me and a buddy of mine were talking about something that has been bothering me lately. I have a Kenwood cd player, 3 JL 12" subs, and 2 Boston Acoustic 12" subs. I've been told that I can't put the cd player in my car becasue it will mess with the alarm. I also don't have the money for the wiring harness ($100+). So my friend says why don't you just eliminate the stock alarm and replace it with an aftermarket one. I was thinking of putting a remote start on my car for the winter (my son would apprecite it on the cold chicago winter days). Would it work or should I just leave well enough alone?

mitchjagger
10-07-08, 12:03 PM
In the 97 deville, which i assume you are talking about, to install a aftermarket deck you will need to relocate the stock deck (usually in the trunk) The stock deck will have to remain in the car with the power, ground, and data wires hooked up to it. You will also have to have it hooked up to a speaker if you want to keep your chimes. You do not need a 100dollar harness for this, you will need the stock stereo harness, and the oposite harness of that. and about 50ft or so of 18gauge wire. I just did this all last week, so if you have any questions I will be happy to help.

raoul742024
10-07-08, 05:18 PM
Did you mount the stock radio in the trunk or just set it in there? Also would subs have any affect on it being in the trunk? By the opposite harness do you mean teh one from teh aftermarket radio? I'm going to try and do this soon the radio stations out here are getting really repetative.

mitchjagger
10-08-08, 12:51 AM
Did you mount the stock radio in the trunk or just set it in there? Also would subs have any affect on it being in the trunk? By the opposite harness do you mean teh one from teh aftermarket radio? I'm going to try and do this soon the radio stations out here are getting really repetative.

My dad mad a little mounting bracket for me so the stock stereo is mounted on the driver side wheel well. that has to have the data wires from the stock harness ran to it. It also needs power which I spliced from the orange wire coming from the radio fuse in the fusebox in the trunk. I grounded the stock stereo on the chassis. If you want to keep the chimes you will also need to hook a speaker up to it. I put a speaker in my driver side door for that. By opposite harness I mean the one that will plug into the stock stereo. You will also need the one that will plug into the stereo harness that is in the dash, and you will need the one that comes with the new deck. The after market deck will need a constant +12v, not the switched 12v that the stock harness has. I got that from one of the wires coming from the fuse box. And the Accessory wire can either be spliced from one of the wires in the fuse box or from the power window circuit. I used the power window circuit. both these runs will have to be fused. I used 10amp inline fuses from auto zone. I have also heard of people running both from the ignition. None of this is very difficult, it just takes a while. I spent close to 10 hours on it, but if you can mount a after market stereo in this, you can do it in just about anything. and subs wouldnt be a issue, it would just be a few more wires and a amp.

raoul742024
10-08-08, 02:02 AM
Thanks I'm going to have to try and start on this this weekend. I don't really care about how long it takes, I just need a cd player in it.

mitchjagger
10-08-08, 11:05 AM
yeah, its definitely worth it, if u have any more questions, just let me know.

CaptainFishpond
10-13-08, 01:41 PM
Mitch, did you have to run wires all the way back from the dash to the trunk? I had to do this for my 92 seville with bose gold but I didnt have to keep the factory radio hooked up. Point is I still have the 13ft harness and think it sould be fairly easy to install that same cd player into a 99 deville. Can I just splice in to the custom harness to hook up the factory radio? And which are the data wires? I doubt I have those same wires on the custom harness so where do I hook those up?

Thanks.

mitchjagger
10-13-08, 11:39 PM
I did have to run wires from the dash to the trunk. The data wires are the purple ones in both top and bottom pin 6, for 96/97 deville for sure. Im a bit confused about one of your questions, you want to hook up the bose HU from the seville into the Deville?

CaptainFishpond
10-14-08, 10:18 AM
No, I want to hook up the aftermarket hu. Not the Seville hu. Sorry for the confusion.

Where do I hook up the data wires?

mitchjagger
10-14-08, 03:20 PM
the data wires remain hooked up to the stock stereo along with power, ground and a speaker if you want the chimes.

CaptainFishpond
10-14-08, 03:39 PM
Im gonna start this project soon. I hope you dont mind if I ask questions along the way.

CaptainFishpond
10-15-08, 08:08 PM
Mitch, where is the factory amp and how do I get to it?

CaptainFishpond
10-21-08, 10:58 AM
I bought a wall mart plug and wired up power, ground, and battery and the headunit powered up. I then tried to wire up one speaker to see if I could get sound and the aftermarket hu would not even power up. I then wired the harness completly and pluged it in.... and nothing the aftermarket hu wont even power up. I checked the fuse on the aftermarket and it was still good. I even tried hooking up a second aftermarket hu and I coulndt get it to power up. I am confused, why would it power up once but not again?

N*Caddy
10-25-08, 01:37 PM
Guys,
Why keeping the stock HU? If you are not planning to keep the chime all you need to do is connect the two data wires of the radio together and close the network loop. On the Deville the data wires are the two PPL wires connected on pin E6 and F6.

CaptainFishpond
10-25-08, 06:52 PM
At this point Im just waiting untill a good 12 disc changer comes in to work. Id like to keep the radio comtrols anyway.

N*Caddy
10-25-08, 07:18 PM
:yeah:
Personally, I will never go aftermarket.

CaptainFishpond
10-25-08, 08:37 PM
I woulnt mind going aftermarket if I had the time and money to put in a good system, but its easier and looks cleaner to stay factory.