: 2 northstars ?

creeker
10-06-08, 10:54 PM
Just curious why cadillac would make 2 different engines for the northstar,
what's the logic or reasoning behind it?.

eyekandyboats.inc
10-06-08, 11:27 PM
why not.
they didn't just make two they have a couple
why did they make a DTS when they have a STS,, both 4 door.... because they can

dkozloski
10-06-08, 11:30 PM
There is a conventional RWD engine, a sidewinder FWD engine, and a RWD supercharged engine. In years gone by there were two horsepower variations.

gothicaleigh
10-07-08, 09:18 AM
There is a conventional RWD engine, a sidewinder FWD engine, and a RWD supercharged engine. In years gone by there were two horsepower variations.

L37 FWD "Northstar" (292-300hp 285-295tq)

1993 Cadillac Allantι
1993-2002 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
1993–2004 Cadillac Seville STS
1996–2005 Cadillac DeVille Concours/DTS
2006– Cadillac DTS Performance
2008- Buick Lucerne Super

LD8 FWD "Northstar" (270-275hp 295-300tq)

1994–2002 Cadillac Eldorado
1994–2004 Cadillac Seville SLS
1994-1995 Cadillac DeVille Concours
1996–2005 Cadillac DeVille
2006– Cadillac DTS
2004–2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP
2006– Buick Lucerne CXS

LH2 RWD/AWD "Northstar" (320hp 315tq)

2004– Cadillac SRX
2004– Cadillac XLR
2004– Cadillac STS

LC3 Supercharged RWD "Northstar" (443-469hp 414-439tq)

2006– Cadillac STS-V
2006– Cadillac XLR-V

L47 FWD "Northstar" (250hp 260tq)

1994-2004 Oldsmobile Aurora

LX5 V6 "Short North" (Shortstar) (215hp 230tq)

1999-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2001-2002 Oldsmobile Aurora

Variations of the Northstar have been developed for racing, most notably the twin turbo L47 used in the Northstar LMP LeMans car.
GM also has a production-ready V12 Northstar that was never released due to upcoming changes in CAFE regulations (rumored to have been slated for the Escalade and ULS sedan).

Originally, "Northstar" was used to describe not only the engine but the whole system which included anti-lock brakes, adaptive suspensions, a liquid-cooled alternator, and antilock brakes (when many of those became commonplace in vehicles, the term was used to describe just the engine, the design of which still remains fairly unique).

Cadillac Tony
10-07-08, 10:01 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about the Mosler TwinStar Eldorado.

http://www.supercars.net/servlets/PW/garagePics/groupb/1car2.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/specialty_files_tuner_cars/mosler_twinstar_eldorado_specialty_file

gothicaleigh
10-07-08, 10:09 AM

I assume you are talking about the differences between the old SLS/DHS and STS/DTS Northstars. Not all american auto buyers wanted a high-revving european style engine, so the base and luxury versions of the cars came with a Northstar designed to feel effortless around town with higher torque and less emphasis on overall performance. Those who wanted a performance sedan were treated with the slightly higher horsepower and better performing "T" acronym cars.

There were two versions of the engine to fit differing preferences (european-sport versus american-luxury).

gothicaleigh
10-07-08, 10:14 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about the Mosler TwinStar Eldorado.

http://www.supercars.net/servlets/PW/garagePics/groupb/1car2.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/specialty_files_tuner_cars/mosler_twinstar_eldorado_specialty_file

Wow.

Interesting concept, but honestly kind of disappointing performance numbers considering all the work that has been done.

...and moving the rear wheels further back really messes with the classic Eldo design. :/

Not really sure how I feel about this one.

Cadillac Tony
10-07-08, 11:03 AM
The car went through so many electronic tweaks that every magazine that tested it achieved wildly disparate numbers. The best I ever saw was a 4.3 0-60, which for the time was incredible.

From a cosmetic standpoint I don't like the rear wheels pushed back, but I give Mosler a Gold Star just for the "wow" factor of building a twin engine Cadillac.

creeker
10-07-08, 11:22 AM
I assume you are talking about the differences between the old SLS/DHS and STS/DTS Northstars. Not all american auto buyers wanted a high-revving european style engine, so the base and luxury versions of the cars came with a Northstar designed to feel effortless around town with higher torque and less emphasis on overall performance. Those who wanted a performance sedan were treated with the slightly higher horsepower and better performing "T" acronym cars.

There were two versions of the engine to fit differing preferences (european-sport versus american-luxury).

Thanks,this explanation answers my question,I just wondered why cadillac
would make two engines that are so close in design and performance.
I wasn't out to critize their motives.

dkozloski
10-07-08, 12:38 PM
Wow.

Interesting concept, but honestly kind of disappointing performance numbers considering all the work that has been done.

...and moving the rear wheels further back really messes with the classic Eldo design. :/

Not really sure how I feel about this one.
This is just a Chinese copy of the Hurst "Hairy Olds" cars.
http://hursthairyolds.com/1966.aspx

zonie77
10-09-08, 11:12 AM

Consider how many versions of the Small Block Chevy were made many years. 8,9,10? Some 5 or 10 hp apart.