: 2005 V Transmission gear noise

SFBayV
10-06-08, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced an issue with gear whine emanating the T56 transmission. The noise isn't loud, but quite noticeable when the radio is off.

The sound that I hear is similar to that of the old Muncie M-22 Rock Crusher 4-speeds, with one exception. The Muncie's made noise in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears due to the lower helix angles in the gear teeth. The noise which I'm hearing is at highway speed and is in 5th and 6th gears.

When I first noticed the noise, my first inclination was to think that there was an issue with the differential. I took the car to my local dealer (Stewart Cadillac) and had a technician ride with me. He heard the same noise and felt that it was coming from the transmission. Now when I listen, it does appear to come from the transmission. The technician said that there were no TSB's for this issue, and the problem was left there.

I'm wondering if any of you may be experiencing the same thing and whether or not this is normal. If this isn't consistent with the normal operation of the car, I'll have to have the dealer perform a more in depth look.

Thanks to all.

SkullV
10-06-08, 10:17 PM
There is a TSB about this one...it had something to do with weights on the driveshaft. Let me see if I can find it for you...

Edut: Here it is:

CTSV_510
10-06-08, 10:26 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3425.pdf

SFBayV
10-06-08, 10:36 PM
Thank yo both. You are phenomenal. I should have checked the FAQ, but since the technician had told me that there were no TSB's, I went down that path.

The symptoms noted in the TSB, are quite similar to what I'm experiencing. Not a vibration, but a noise. I'll give the service adviser a call tomorrow morning.

Thank you again.

ND4SPD
10-15-08, 04:54 PM
I just brought my V into the dealership for this issue (I've barely had it a month) and they're replacing the whole transmission to fix it. Oh well, at least it's under warranty.

CtsVrod
10-15-08, 05:18 PM
I just brought my V into the dealership for this issue (I've barely had it a month) and they're replacing the whole transmission to fix it. Oh well, at least it's under warranty.

Huh... I have the same thing, but its on/off... Part of me kinda wants to take it in while I have the warranty and see if I can get a new tranny. Does this include the Clutch etc? Or are they just putting the old clutch/flywheel back in?

SFBayV
10-16-08, 12:06 AM
I took my V in to the dealer on Monday, and with a tech and the service adviser going with me on two separate drives, they heard the same noise I did. It turns out that the noise was coming from the differential. They've ordered a new replacement which will be replaced under warranty.