: Ever had a Lithotripsy? The Hard Way?

StuJac
10-06-08, 08:06 PM
:suspense:Very sorry if this title grosses anybody out. I've got one (a lithotripsy) scheduled for next Monday morning. I've had 6 procedures of varying types over the past 8 years dealing with kidney stones but this is the first time they are going through the old pencil, if you know what I mean. They then leave stents inside, to allow for the now-lasered stones to pass. It's this 2 week period with the stents that I'm most concerned about.

Can anyone reassure me that this won't be the single worst experience of my life?:crybaby::crybaby:

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 08:28 PM
omg... How old are you? I am pretty much expecting to go through this eventually since I am a heavy soda drinker and I have only heard nightmare stories about the pain quotient, it apparently can happen at any age too, so being in my mid 20s is no assurance it won't be soon.

MauiV
10-06-08, 08:29 PM
Can anyone reassure me that this won't be the single worst experience of my life?:crybaby::crybaby:

Ever been in a Turkish prison?

c5 rv
10-06-08, 09:14 PM
Laser rather than EWSL (sound waves)? On the bright side, you should be under general anesthesia.

Rolex
10-06-08, 11:04 PM
I've put a couple thousand people to sleep for said procedure. The stents will be uncomfortable, but there are worse things. Unfortunately we see a lot of repeat customers for renal stones. As you well know, they never seem to show up just once. :stirpot: :hide:

Best of luck with your surgery and God speed your healing.

Spyder
10-07-08, 12:03 AM
*shudders*...damnitt...I almost don't want to drink this beer I just opened now!

A friend of mine had kidney stones at 17...freaked me out and I sure as hell hope I never get them!

Red_October_7000
10-07-08, 01:25 AM
I knew a guy who used to have kidney stones that hurt so bad to pass them that when diong so he would dislocate or break fingers because the body only has one channel for pain, as it were, and the heaviest pain always overrides...

StuJac
10-07-08, 07:33 AM
Yeah-I'm certainly not looking forward to it. I exaggerated in the op; I've only had 4 procedures. I've had two of the sonic wave (sit in tub) but they didn't completely pass so they just sat there and grew. I've had two of the varities where they go through the back and remove 'em. One of those procedures was done on a valium drip only and that was torture, literally. The second one was done under general anesthesia. I guess the main thing I'm worrying about is being able to work with the stents still in.

Thanks for all your input. btw - plenty of percs lined up for this deal.

Red_October_7000
10-07-08, 09:34 PM
Valium drip only? What the fvking fvck? All that would do is make you kinda not care, but I don't think that you can really do that... Surgery requires anesthesia! What made them think that was OK???

Rolex
10-07-08, 09:58 PM
I've had two of the sonic wave (sit in tub) but they didn't completely pass so they just sat there and grew.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't offer the "tub treatments" anymore. The newest standard of lithotripsy is ESWL. The shock waves are more precisely directed at the stones this way.

I don't doubt you had a "valium drip" if you say you did, but it sounds to me like you had monitored sedation (I've never personally heard of anyone using a valium drip, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen somewhere). It's not all that uncommon to use sedation during lithotripsy procedures (as opposed to general anesthesia), but you still shouldn't be uncomfortable during the procedure. You may have some recall of the events during surgery when you receive sedation and not general anesthesia, but it's not okay to be in pain.

Red_October_7000
10-08-08, 02:07 AM
I was hoping you'd chime in, Rolex. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking something was wrong; my degree is in Psychology so I know what Valium does and though "that doesn't sound right"... but I'm glad that a gas passer agrees. Surgery shouldn't be painful nad if it is something has gone pear-shaped.

StuJac
10-08-08, 07:13 AM
The procedure took place in 2002 at Abington Hospital, PA. There was no general anesthesia; it was a valium drip. I kept asking for them to turn it up and the nurse kept saying she couldn't turn it up further. I was wide awake through the entire procedure; from the penetration through the lower left back and into the kidney to the fumbling around to place the laser above the stones. The doctor apologized and said the hospital was not set up to do general for this procedure. He sent me to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia where they did the same procedure in 2004 while under general anethesia. When the new doctor reviewed the records from the previous procedure he couldn't believe it was done under a "local". It was the single most painful experience of my life and I'll also add that I dealt with pancreatitus in the late 90's which returns every so often (I can actually eat my way into another bout) so I know pain.

Playdrv4me
10-08-08, 12:54 PM
This is the worst thread ever. It officially wins the "cringe" award. I now get to add this to my list of medical worries... Hooray!

c5 rv
10-08-08, 01:21 PM
My brother-in-law has had a number of procedures for stones. He at last gave up his 2 2-liter per day Pepsi habit.

StuJac
10-08-08, 01:41 PM
I am very sorry to gross everybody out. I thought about where to post this as I was looking for feedback on how bad the stents were going to be. I was going to put it in the TiVo newsgroup but they're much younger than most of the Caddy people. I thought I'd get a bunch of guys my age (50ish). For the younger guys, you've got years to go before you'll have to worry about this stuff and many people never get stones.

MauiV
10-08-08, 01:55 PM
Good luck man. Im sure mine arent far off. My wife got them in her 20's and doesnt drink much soda.

Rolex
10-10-08, 12:57 AM
The procedure took place in 2002 at Abington Hospital, PA. There was no general anesthesia; it was a valium drip. I kept asking for them to turn it up and the nurse kept saying she couldn't turn it up further. I was wide awake through the entire procedure; from the penetration through the lower left back and into the kidney to the fumbling around to place the laser above the stones. The doctor apologized and said the hospital was not set up to do general for this procedure. He sent me to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia where they did the same procedure in 2004 while under general anethesia. When the new doctor reviewed the records from the previous procedure he couldn't believe it was done under a "local". It was the single most painful experience of my life and I'll also add that I dealt with pancreatitus in the late 90's which returns every so often (I can actually eat my way into another bout) so I know pain.

This doesn't sound like much of a hospital. It sounds like more of an office-based clinic that didn't offer a full anesthesia service, or have a licensed anesthesia provider on the premises. Sounds to me like you had the doctor performing your procedure trying to do his own sedation. While that works out fine for many types of procedures, I wouldn't begin to understand how he thought it would be adequate for a percutaneous nephrolithotomy (which is what it sounds like you had from your description). That's some "outside the box" BS....or at least that's the first I've ever heard of something like that.

If they leave you with stents in place for a couple of weeks you can expect to be moderately uncomfortable from them. You can get on with your daily life with stents in place, but you won't feel much like doing anything strenuous or vigorous physical activities. Pain meds are your friend. :)