: Cadillac Owner Service/Warranty Concern

artimus
10-06-08, 07:10 PM
Hello, all.

This is my first post to your forum, I have to say that there is alot of great information here on the forums and a very active community, which is wonderful. I do however have a few questions and I just want to know where I stand and would like some feedback base on the information I am about to give.

To start off let me say I bought my 04 CTS-V at Cadillac/Hummer of Bellevue, my car had 43000 miles on it at the time of purchase and it had had a full inspection (I am told by a third party) before the purchase, I also bought the extended 50,000 mile warranty. I am writing this to raise a concern that this "Third Party" (as stated by the sales manager I spoke with) may not be doing what they have agreed to do for the company. Today I brought my CTS in for a problem that I found with the A/C unit (Clutch doesnt engage) and to have them check the cooling system as the car told me that I was low on coolant, I figured this would be uneventful as it is starting to get cold here around the Seattle area and the coolant is probably not expanding as much as it did on the warmer days that I bought the car. The service person called me back and let me know that there were 3 things wrong with my car:

1. The Radiator has a split on a seam and needs to be replaced
2. The A/C pump is inoperable because there has been some damage to the wiring harness that controls it.
3. The battery is leaking and needs to be replaced.

The total bill for these items: $1200. Now I can understand that the Radiator is expensive and that Labor to replace it is going to be expensive and time consuming and that the other items are need to be dealt with as well. What concerns me is that these things were not caught during the pre-sales inspection of the vehicle. These parts are justifiable indeed.

Lets just say that I am not happy with this situation at all, I was told that the warranty would cover everything except blinker bulbs, windshield wipers brake pads and tires, but this is obviously not the case either. The main reason I bought the extended warranty is that I knew this was a Seattle car and it had been driven on the roads in Seattle, which means that the front end will probably need work sooner rather than later.

The question's I pose are the following:

1. Is my confusion/anger with this dealership justifiable?
2. What good is the warranty?
3. Are all Cadillac shops are this way? can I go to another place and have them honor the warranty as I understood it?

artimus
10-08-08, 01:08 PM
On a side note, I have to say that this forum is awesome! there is soo much information here and alot of really good people with good ideas.

Jon
10-08-08, 02:12 PM
What kind of extended warranty was it? Was it a GM warranty or a third party? Do you have, in writing, what the extended warranty covers? There are different plans; some cover everything, some don't.

Regarding the radiator: It is a common problem. There is a Technical Service Bulletin on it: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/05-06-02-005a.pdf

Try showing that to your dealer. You should be able to get it replaced for free even if your extended warranty doesn't cover it.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

onebadcad
10-08-08, 03:13 PM
:werd:

Hard to believe any extended warranty would not cover radiator and A/C parts, battery is not usually covered. If you do not get satisfaction from the stealership, call the courteous, helpful folks at Cadillac Assistance:

Cadillac Customer Service Contact Info
You can also call Cadillac directly at the customer service number, which is ( as found at http://www.cadillac.com (http://www.cadillac.com/) )

Inside the U.S.: 1-800-333-4CAD

CTSV_510
10-08-08, 03:18 PM
Regarding the radiator: It is a common problem. There is a Technical Service Bulletin on it: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/05-06-02-005a.pdf

Try showing that to your dealer. You should be able to get it replaced for free even if your extended warranty doesn't cover it.

See what a new radiator would cost for the part only. I think my 4 year old could replace the radiator if I let him borrow some tools...

:welcome:

Oh yeah, regarding your questions - how long from the time you bought the car until you started having these problems?

sleepys4
10-08-08, 03:22 PM
If you have a GMPP they cover the Radiator.. Not sure about the battery.

helogene
10-08-08, 08:30 PM
I guess you just bought your 2004 in Aug/Sept? I bought a Red 2005 from Bellevue/Hummer in Aug.

It only had 9400 miles on it, and was priced accordingly. I DID NOT buy the extended warranty from them, as they wanted too much. The car was still under factory, and I got a GM Extended warranty from another dealer (saved a BUNCH of $$$ too).

The interesting thing was, the battery in the car was CRAP. Drove it from the dealer, up to the San Juan Ferry dock, was playing with the radio waiting for the ferry, and then couldn't start the car when it was time to get on. Glad it was a 6 speed!!!

Same thing happened a week later leaving the islands, so I called the Caddy Dealer in Mt Vernon, and they replaced the battery under the factory warranty.

If you have a "Third Party" warranty, I would read every bit of that brochure/plan/document that you have, and argue with the dealer. As I understand it, those guy's JUST BOUGHT that Caddy Dealer, and are kinda NEW at it.

Best of luck....Oh, did you have Manuals and a Nav disc in your car?? I didn't....Bastards!

artimus
10-10-08, 12:18 PM
Ok, so here is the deal how it stands:

The extended warranty I bought was from "National Warranty Corporation", and it does NOT cover my Radiator, but does cover the wiring harness. I should have read the fine print better. That being said, it does cover almost everything else, but I would have to bring it back to this dealer to get it services according to the working on the document and I really dont want to do any more business with them.

They are telling me now that they will cover 50% of the price on the final bill, but that still doesnt leave me satisfied as I believe that these conditions were pre-existing, furthermore, from the VIN check (#post1653808) I see that it was brought in several times for something that was not able to be reproduced. Now the combination of the wording on the TSB that was posted above and this issue leads me to believe that this has been going on for a while, am I reaching here? or does that make some sense? I am still very upset with how this has been handled so far and my first instinct is to push further to get a resolution and cost me less. btw I already paid a $117 fee to have it looked at by the service center.

helogene:
I did get a nav disc, but it is a bit dated and I have been looking for a place to get a new one.

smackdaddy
10-10-08, 01:06 PM
I have been looking for a place to get a new one.

http://www.gmnavdisc.com

CadzillaTN
10-10-08, 08:40 PM
btw I already paid a $117 fee to have it looked at by the service center.

I hope that 117 bucks is coming off your bill if those clowns end up repairing the car

artimus
10-11-08, 12:57 PM
I am hoping they will take the $117 off as well. The economy the way it is I am trying to be understanding, although I may be failing miserably at that. I just filed a complaint with the local Attorney General's office and I have been working with the Cadillac Customer Service people mentioned above( Thanks to onebadcad for that) I really want to thank you all for being so very supportive, I have read other posts of people mentioning that more research should have been done on the car/dealership before purchase and I do feel like I should have researched more at this point and I would completely agree. Please feel free to offer any comments/feedback I am trying to keep a very open mind even if it costs me money. so with that I ask again: am I being unreasonable? what should I be doing differently?

artimus
10-13-08, 05:18 PM
Just as an update:

Today I received a call from the Cadillac district management team, they said they will escalate this accordingly. I did mention that I would pay some portion of the labor costs as a sign of good faith. I mentioned as well that I absolutely love the car, and I really do! It has been wonderful to own this car and I would definitely buy another one in the future. I also mentioned the forums here and let them know that this has been a great resource for any Cadillac owner

rand49er
10-13-08, 05:42 PM
Who inspected the car in the first place, a baboon?

I sure hope this works out for you okay. This forum is great place to encourage you to spend more money, not to mention it has some great info about common glitches and what to watch out for. BTW, welcome!

artimus
10-15-08, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the Welcome! I am glad there is such a vast community here with loads of great information.

An update:
Corporate got back to me yesterday, the final resolution from Cadillac corporate and the dealer is the 50/50 split of the bill. That is still over $600, and at this point I do not want to give them anything, does anyone here know a place I could get a factory radiator that I could replace mine with? The process doesnt look too involved, ive done alot of radiator replacements in my time (I am from Northern MN, lots of deer.. mmm tasty! no I dont eat what I hit) and I wouldnt mind taking a crack at this. I am figuring that 2 Gal of dexcool is probably around $40 unmixed and that the radiator is ~$200?

The battery as I have read can be bought at walmart or schucks and doesnt have to be stock, the wiring harness I will fix myself.

Anyone have any ideas where to find a radiator? and a suggestion on a battery?

artimus
10-15-08, 05:06 PM
update:

The dealership is going to expense the cost of the Radiator out and give me the part. Shweew, I am glad this will finally have a resolution.

Thank you to everyone here! as I have said this forum has been a great source of support and information.

urbanski
10-15-08, 05:11 PM
cool