: GM is heading in a good direction..

TSS
10-06-08, 05:16 PM
I just had the best Rotary meeting of all time. Bryan Nesbitt (North American VP of GM design and development) spoke to a group of less than 100 of us over lunch. He was in town (Lansing) to visit our plants. It was his first time here, and GM thought he should get out and about in factory towns to talk about GMs direction to civic groups. He was joined by the Outlook/Enclave/Arcadia and SRX/CTS/STS Plant manager. Nesbitt spoke and took questions. I got a chance to talk to him after the meeting. Not suprisingly, he had the new CTS-V for the weekend last weekend. He confirmed the steering wheel was velvety. :shhh:

Back on point, he is 39 years old and knows what GM has to do to earn back customers. He made no excuses for the cars of the 80's. And in fact, refreshingly ragged on several well known failures. He has a particular dislike for the design of the old Saturn L series. Nesbitt claims to drive an Outlook himself, and he arrived in the Plant manager's Enclave.

I know these are not a lot of details, but bottom line is I feel really good about the approach they are taking in earning back customers who may have left due to quality issues and also to try to earn new customers. And, they truly are on top of development of alternative fuels/cells/hybids that are palatable to those who still get emotional attachments to design. Again, I know this is sporadic, but it was such a cool experience, I wanted to share my enthusiam and optimism. If he had come in playing the blame game or ignoring the past shortfalls and quality issues, he would have had no credibility.

Lastly, I was able to get a committment and contact number to set up a tour (which don't officially run anymore) of the lamda or CTS/SRX/STS plant for a small private group. If anybody can SERIOUSLY make themselves available for same in Lansing, on a weekday, PM me and I will see what I can do. Otherwise, I am just going it alone with my son.

Jesda
10-06-08, 06:06 PM
What is a rotary meeting?

RightTurn
10-06-08, 06:13 PM
It's when all the Wankels get together. :alchi:

:rimshot:

TSS
10-06-08, 06:18 PM

Essentially accurate ^^.

It is a civic group like the Lion's or Kiwanis. Meet once a week for lunch and a speaker. Do fundraisers to help the communioty. Network. In theory, a Rotary club is only supposed to have one person from each "field or trade". Like, one banker, one doctor, one Lawyer, one car dealer, etc. However, we interpret the rules fairly loosely. My Club has about 100 members. I guarantee there is a Rotary club in your area.

As you might expect, coming up with an interesting speaker evry single week is tough. This one was out of the park!

The Tony Show
10-06-08, 06:18 PM
lol @ RightTurn. :rofl:

TSS
10-06-08, 06:25 PM
Why do I feel some sort of flaming or Rotary Club bashing coming? Is it hot in here? :flame:

RightTurn
10-06-08, 06:32 PM
Ya'll are just amazed that a female knows a Wankel engine. Ha. It hums.

TSS
10-06-08, 06:35 PM
Ya'll are just amazed that a female knows a Wankel engine. Ha. It hums.

Generally, yes. Not with you. :D

RightTurn
10-06-08, 06:40 PM
I owned an RX in a previous life. :alchi:

:shhh:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 06:47 PM
Is that what they call it when the RX-7 owners group meets up?

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 07:47 PM
Back on point, he is 39 years old and knows what GM has to do to earn back customers. He made no excuses for the cars of the 80's. And in fact, refreshingly ragged on several well known failures.

Did he by chance mention the N*? :sneaky: :hide: ;)

Ohh I couldn't resist, leave me alone. I love my quirksome pile of bolts. :p

ryannel2003
10-06-08, 07:50 PM
Haha! At least when they run right they're amazing... although that isn't too often. I just think you have bad luck with them, unfortunately. Of 5 Seville's, none have thanked you properly! :(

orconn
10-06-08, 07:50 PM

Best pun of the season!!!!

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 07:51 PM
Haha! At least when they run right they're amazing... although that isn't too often. I just think you have bad luck with them, unfortunately. Of 5 Seville's, none have thanked you properly! :(

LOL, well the first two were fabulous (except the crank sensors on the '01, no fault of the N* in fairness). They also both happened to be White Diamond... That's the most reliable color :D

ryannel2003
10-06-08, 07:55 PM
Black seems to be the most amazing and wonderful. Never seen too many with issues, especially the '98-'00 models. Bronzemist is terrible. Some lady keeps bring in here '00 SLS with some major issue with electricals and the A/C.

Sterling? Idk, for the first 3 months mine has been fine. Except for the slightly rough idle and the random ass "Service Theft System". So glad the lady before me payed $53k for the thing, and I payed $10k with new headgaskets. I must be a good luck charm...:sneaky:

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 08:04 PM
Black seems to be the most unreliable. Seen several in my shop for random things. Bronzemist seems to be terrible too. Some lady keeps bring in here '00 SLS with some major issue with electricals and the A/C.

HEY! No jinxing!!! :abuse:

I agree tho... Bronzemist ones seem doomed.

ryannel2003
10-06-08, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry. I fixed it. :) :bouncy:

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry. I fixed it. :) :bouncy:

:haha:

gdwriter
10-06-08, 08:50 PM
Ya'll are just amazed that a female knows a Wankel engine. Ha. It hums.Not amazed, but impressed.

NjEL1N4f8qw

c5 rv
10-06-08, 09:04 PM
... In theory, a Rotary club is only supposed to have one person from each "field or trade". Like, one banker, one doctor, one Lawyer, one car dealer, etc. However, we interpret the rules fairly loosely. My Club has about 100 members. ...

Good thing that one lawyer rule is lax. You can't swing a dead cat in Lansing without hitting a dozen lawyers. That doesn't even include the law students at Cooley.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 10:35 PM
There was a 2000 SLS at work today because the R/F window wouldn't move, and it was stuck about 2" down from the top. It needed a regulator, the repair bill was $645.

ryannel2003
10-06-08, 11:04 PM
Oh. my. jesus.

*Prays to God that nothing breaks on my car*

RightTurn
10-07-08, 12:55 AM
Best pun of the season!!!!

:demure: Why, thank you kind sir. :D

The Tony Show
10-07-08, 11:07 AM
Window regulators in Devilles and Sevilles are the gift that keeps on giving for Service Departments.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-07-08, 11:10 AM
Sort of like herpes?

TSS
10-07-08, 12:30 PM
There was a 2000 SLS at work today because the R/F window wouldn't move, and it was stuck about 2" down from the top. It needed a regulator, the repair bill was $645.

I did not need to hear that.

orconn
10-07-08, 01:10 PM

I had a 1984 Audi Avant that had poorly design window regulators that just the part cost $450.00 and the total job was over $500.00 in 1980's dollars. The Audi's reguators went out four times, at least, while I owned the car costing a bundle. The car had othe equally expensive defects which once it was out of warranty were on my buck. This car convinced me that "German Engineering" was just too costly to be justified for American driving.

When I did relent and bought a Mercedes, I bought a seven year warranty on the car!

Playdrv4me
10-07-08, 01:21 PM
Regulators shmegulators... That is par for the course with a luxury car and THOSE kinds of parts you can buy at the junkyard or ebay and put them in yourself. I'm VERY VERY patient with those sorts of problems. It's things you can't do anything about easily and cheaply, like N* issues on the Sevilles, or the ridiculous rate of shitty ZF Transmission failures on the E65 BMWs, that really bug me on a luxury vehicle.

Almost every BMW since the dawn of time has suffered from regulator problems, especially the E46 3 Series. Just part of the luxury car game. I don't know why they arent made better.

For the record though, (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have yet to have a Seville (or an E46 for that matter) that's had a failed window regulator. This black one does have a sticky rear lock actuator though on the rear passenger side door. Makes alot of noise.

orconn
10-07-08, 02:09 PM
It doesn't take long at todays prices for German parts and labor for the small stuff to add up to the cost of a new N* engine replacement. You are right though for some reason German accessories have never been equal to American parts when it comes to reliability. The parts and labor for window regulator replacement utilizing "junk yard" parts was still not cheap on the Audi, especially when one considers it was a glorified VW. Ofcourse in those days it was sold at Porsce Audi stores....... gotta pay for the privilege of setting foot in a Porsche agency! Mine was maintained by my independent mechanic and it was expensive.

Playdrv4me
10-07-08, 02:31 PM
It doesn't take long at todays prices for German parts and labor for the small stuff to add up to the cost of a new N* engine replacement. You are right though for some reason German accessories have never been equal to American parts when it comes to reliability. The parts and labor for window regulator replacement utilizing "junk yard" parts was still not cheap on the Audi, especially when one considers it was a glorified VW. Ofcourse in those days it was sold at Porsce Audi stores....... gotta pay for the privilege of setting foot in a Porsche agency! Mine was maintained by my independent mechanic and it was expensive.

I agree, the accessory parts cost for German cars, especially VW stuff, can be outrageous. However most of it you can just drive around with broken until you feel you can afford to replace it, or if it isn't important and you're out of warranty, just forget about it (the washer reservoir and the telescope steering wheel tooth gears on my 2003 Range Rover were the only items that ever broke, and not so much out of cheapness as that I just plain forgot about it, I never had either of them fixed). On the other hand, if you have an engine, A/C or transmission issue, you're pretty much dead in the water.

The nice thing about the E46 is that parts costs for it on all except probably the transmission, which is a little higher, are on par with or less than most Cadillac over the counter parts. The E65 however is a nightmare in parts costs.

gary88
10-07-08, 02:36 PM
How would you compare the reliability of an E46 compared to say... a 2002 Seville SLS?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-07-08, 02:37 PM
Apparently window regulators are a common repair on the W140. I've never had an issue with any of mine.

Playdrv4me
10-07-08, 02:43 PM
How would you compare the reliability of an E46 compared to say... a 2002 Seville SLS?

All of my E46s have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I've had almost as many of those as I have Sevilles and the E46 is the hands down winner between those two. The most recent one had a power steering pump go bad, but the power steering pump is ALSO bad on my '98 STS.

Outside of that the only other failure I ever experienced was a whiny differential on my 2001 330i which was replaced under the factory warranty. Ironically, my very first Seville, the 2001 White Diamond STS, was traded in on that 2001 330i. It is probably the most reliable of all the cars I have ever owned.

There is one *glaring* exception to this I must make however.... And that is the '02 M3. It is simply not worth all the hassles in my opinion for the extra performance over the 330 Sport Package. My M3 always had a VERY annoying engine tick the dealer said was normal, the SMG transmission acted up ALL the time and in general it was just a bear to drive the thing. That definitely goes down as one of my more unloved cars. It was a real disappointment and parts for that E46 variation are extremely expensive powertrain wise.

Even my 1999 328i that had been in a serious wreck had an engine and transmission that performed flawlessly. I just like them alot. They seem to hold up nicely, even when abused or not cared for.

In fairness (I always am of course), my E65 2003 745i was the worst pile of bolts ever put on the road. Those things are a disaster. At least from 2006 on, they look alot nicer.

Jesda
10-07-08, 06:24 PM
There is no comparing E46 reliability to any FWD Northstar car.

ryannel2003
10-07-08, 08:11 PM
I was so disappointed in the E46 that I never really looked at them again. The '03 325i I drove felt, dare I say... cheap? 20k miles and pieces were falling off the interior and the leather was terrible... though it might have been the leatherette.

I guess I'm alone when I say this, but the steering is too tight and the ride is too choppy for me. I've never driven an E39 5-Series, but I'm sure it would be a much better car for me.

gary88
10-07-08, 08:24 PM
I was so disappointed in the E46 that I never really looked at them again. The '03 325i I drove felt, dare I say... cheap? 20k miles and pieces were falling off the interior and the leather was terrible... though it might have been the leatherette.

I guess I'm alone when I say this, but the steering is too tight and the ride is too choppy for me. I've never driven an E39 5-Series, but I'm sure it would be a much better car for me.

Heathen!! Heathen!!

ryannel2003
10-07-08, 08:32 PM
I'm such a twat.

FrankT
10-07-08, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/151343-gm-heading-good-direction-3.html#post1652295)

I did not need to hear that.

Don't worry about your window regulators Todd! Chad needs to make his couple of $$$ off the repair so he can keep his Benz on the road.:) Hummm, I wonder what it would cost for a window regulator in your ride?:stirpot:

Now, as long as I live in Michigan, we can do those regulators for less than 1/2 that price. In fact. I never tried it but there's a fix in the tech section that shows us how to fabricate a metal tab for the plastic tab that breaks off.

Now, I say as long because ......
About GM, I hope your man is right, and they start doing better soon, or, I may be forced to move to Texas, Washington, or some other state. :canttalk: ????

TSS
10-08-08, 08:39 AM
Frank, would you be up for the plant tour, or can you basically get in any time you want? Also, as long as we are off topic here, it looks like Gilmore is actually open until 10/31. I am thinking about taking this Friday off and heading there with Mitch, he is off for Columbus day weekend. Interested?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-08-08, 11:32 AM
Don't worry about your window regulators Todd! Chad needs to make his couple of $$$ off the repair so he can keep his Benz on the road.:) Hummm, I wonder what it would cost for a window regulator in your ride?:stirpot:

Haha, that wasn't even my ticket... it was a different writer's.

ryannel2003
10-08-08, 12:19 PM
I saw the part on GMPartsDirect for $234. Still expensive though. Damn Cadillac's.

FrankT
10-08-08, 07:17 PM
Frank, would you be up for the plant tour, or can you basically get in any time you want? Also, as long as we are off topic here, it looks like Gilmore is actually open until 10/31. I am thinking about taking this Friday off and heading there with Mitch, he is off for Columbus day weekend. Interested?

Todd, I may be up for that plant tour, sounds good.:thumbsup:
But as far as Gilmore goes, I don't think so, :( I'll talk more about it off line if you wish. You and Mitch have fun, .I'll be talking to you soon. Take Care! Frank

FrankT
10-08-08, 07:20 PM
Haha, that wasn't even my ticket... it was a different writer's.
Chad, I'm glad that you knew I was just kidding!
Nice Benz!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-08-08, 07:26 PM
Oh! Thank you! :)