Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need Quick advice: Who is runnin an Exedy Twin Disc here

881 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
Hey all,

OK, i am curious to know the performance of the Exedy twin disc clutch kit GTO4SD in praticular...

-Is there any chatter when you depress the clutch?

-Any additional slippage when cold?

-Any unusual smells after a few hard pulls?

-Just about stock feelin when you depress the clutch?

Thank you for your time and lookin forward to your replies...

#2 ·
Sorry Naf, don't think anyone on the board currently has stepped up to the Exedy, probably due to price. There was a previous V-owner, 1MEANV, I think he is Urby's cousin (JFWY), but he did put the Exedy twin-disc in his V. Not sure if you can get some feedback from him, as someone posted recently that he may be heading for some jail time due to fraud commited while claiming a vehicle was stolen. You may want to check the Viper and Vette boards, as I know many use it there. Not sure if any vendors on here sell it, maybe D3?

#3 · (Edited)
Naf,
I do NOT have a Exedy twin Disk in my V but I have had 2 of them on previous cars.

-very stock like pressure

- the clutch rattles when in neutral with clutch out, noise disappears when you push the clutch in ( this is pretty common with twin disks I have heard)

- both of mine were cerametallic compound clutches and they had no more heat issues, cold or hot than any normal clutch would. If the one that you are referencing is carbon, then I cannot comment on how they react as I have never had a carbon Exedy

-smells just like any other clutch when you get it hot, again as long as its not a carbon one

- sometimes it had some chatter when letting out the clutch slowly slipping it easy going on the street, but not nearly as bad as a puck-style clutch

- bonus is that they come with a lightweight flywheel as well

- Overall I really liked them, seeing as though I bought 2 of them at $1700+ each

What have you found them selling for on the V? I did a quick search for the model number you quoted above and didn't get any hits.

#4 ·
Hmm, Very interesting...

I honeslty did want to go with the single due to the huge diff on pedal pressure... Clampin force is 36xx vs 24xx..

I am buildin a nice powerful little LS2 and didnt want to take the risk of havin to drop the tranny again due to poor clutch choise. This Twin clutch weighs 15 pounds more then the LS7 clutch, which on a slightly modified LS6 is the BOOM...I was going to take it the next step and shave off an additional 13 pounds from the LS7 clutch by gettin a Fidanza Flywheel, but i didnt think a single clutch setup would hold up to the power output and weight of our Vs...We weigh about 300kg more then the Corvette and have lots more drag as well...These factors put more pressure on the Clutch and may lead to premature wear or even failure...

I have found that LPE and Katech use them on their modified Zs...So that alone is a great push for yes...Another one is i got mine for a steal...about 200$ cheaper than you and shipped to me here...Yup life is grand. :thumbsup:

Now just to re-assure my senses, the chatter isnt LOUD, just a little one like two peices of plastic rubbin? I dont like havin annoyed passangers, well my dates more then anything... As it is i am gettin plz slow downs all day/night long...I assure them i am doin the speed limit, but there is no law against how fast i get up to the speed limit, though i hear in one city in TX there is a law against "Display of acceleration..."

#5 ·
Clamping force is not comparable twin to single disc. Thats the beauty of 2 discs, 2 times the clamping area. You get away with slightly less force since there is more surface area to grab with.

Chatter is caused by metal to metal contact.
look at this pic

see where the bolts are on the purple hat? They bolt into the straps (little metal pillars) now see how the discs slide in around those straps? well there is a little slop in there and both pieces are metal so when the car is at idle with the clutch engaged it will rattle a bit. Like when you pop the hood to show some buddies how beautiful your engine bay is your going to hear the rattle of those two parts. And your buddies are gonna say dude what's that noise? is your motor ok? And you can reply, "You dumbasses don't know nothin, thats the sound of my high performance multiplate clutch!" Or you could tell them "Yea I think the motor is on it's on its last legs... Wanna Race?"

Either way the noise was noticed by almost every car guy that walked around my car at an idle. Only 2-3 out of 20+ that commented knew it was the clutch making that noise.

I doubt you could hear it inside the caddy at a light with the windows up.
Going through the drive-thru with sounds bouncing of the walls and the windows down you will hear it.

Of course all my experiences have been with a car other than the V so YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.