: Valve seal gaskets

rchurchman2002
06-17-04, 01:08 PM
I just had my car to the cadillac dealer and they say the valve seal gaskets are leaking a little oil into the sparkplug and they need to be replaced. Also they said that they usually replace the oil cooler (in the engine) while they have it open so they the customer doesnt have to pay the labor to open it up again. TOTAL COST: $1100. Any suggestions for a cheaper fix? Anyone heard of this? HELP???

Vesicant
06-17-04, 01:45 PM
You have two options.

A. Get both fixed at once, and spend a lot of money for something that may leak again.

B. You only get the valve gaskets fixed, and spend less on the repair. But it may crack later on and you face serious repairs if there is oil in coolant.

-

Theres no way of telling if your oil cooler has cracks in it or not, some just simultaneously crack out of no where. Replacing the cooler is a slightly good insurance to take, but it jumps the price up. There is the benefit to this... a one time price to pay that can save you from a world of trouble and money loss later on...

Its up to you.

rchurchman2002
06-17-04, 01:49 PM
Im confused? The oil cooler, isnt that the radiator looking thing in the front?
What oil cooler is in the engine? Also, what is the part #? The gaskets, what are those part numbers and how many do I need? Is this something that I can do? HELP??

Vesicant
06-17-04, 03:08 PM
The oil cooler on the Catera, is underneath the air intake and uses the flow of coolant around it to cool the oil in the engine. I knew of some documentation on how to get to this... ill look it up.

Otherwise, heres the part... go to this site, enter in your Catera (Cadillac, 1998 Catera, select mechanical) then once you get the catalog loaded on the side bar theres categories... click Engine > Lubrication > Oil Cooler. Its about 409.73 discounted from list price of 546. Should come with gaskets if needed.

http://www.gm-car-parts.com/gmautoparts.htm

You probably dont need to replace it... unless they find something when they are installing the new valve seals.

Vesicant
06-17-04, 03:28 PM
Heres what the oil cooler looks like, more info to come...

rchurchman2002
06-17-04, 04:16 PM
How many valve cover gaskets does this take, 2 or 4? also, whats the part number? and are they sold in a set of 2 or 4 or individually?

Vesicant
06-17-04, 04:58 PM
Im thinking two, one for each bank of cylinders

The GM part number is: 90511451

GMPartsdirect.com

Vesicant
06-18-04, 02:14 PM
Heres a detailed look , including how to get to the cooler:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15189

You may need a yahoo account.

rchurchman2002
06-18-04, 02:53 PM
i talked to a guy at cadillac and he says i need o rings, upper and lower intake gaskets, etc. Is there anyway, someone can give me a list of exactly what i need and qty and possibly part number to complete the job of replacing the oil cooler and valve cover gaskets?