: My $600 Winter Beater, surely my best steal

1990CaddyBrougham
10-05-08, 07:31 PM
Last winter i bought my 00 DTS, but my mom drives it now, so I needed a new "winter car"

It was torn between 3 cars. A 1976 Cadillac Coupe Deville. I love the body style. I found one locally for $1500. But it was a garaged, rust free car that was wayyyy to nice to use for that purpose. Then i thought about fuel. Phhhh..
1990 Brougham for $400. Needed work, but could then be a parts car. But a hour away.

Then i found this

"1996 Cadillac Fleetwood"
"96 cadillac fleetwood runs, drives. AC and heat work good. Drivers seat works when it wants to. ok shape. must sell. $650"

I called up and got some more info. 174k miles.... EWWWW Wealthy family Bought it 4 years ago from tennesee on ebay, for the couples 19 year old daughter to drive to and from school. Put 100k on it in those 4 years. Hearing this i figured it would be trashed.
But boy was going to be proved wrong
Week later i finally got out to see it. Pulled in the driveway of this mansion in a high end town in MA and knew i was taking it home. Was asking 650, i kenw that was a deal, but i still cant pay asking price, so i went to 600.

Now the pictures are current. The car had black walls on it, white walls on the inside. But bran new tires. I fliped them out and put the chome wheels i had from my parts car on. And cleaned it up a bit. THe family had records and records of EVERYTHING they had done to it. A mechanical dream. 1000's of dollars in recipts from cadillac, from oil changes, tune ups, any kind of maintance. The usual go bad spot that i have seen from seeing other cars like this are all in good shape. The B pillar covers, the seats by the switch assembly, the dash pad. Rear bumper ect. Everything works but the drivers rear window. The seat was the switch, and i robbed that from my parts car.

This is my $600 winter "beater"
Pics are kinda crappy, but it gets the jealousy across.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06473.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06474.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06475.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06467.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06466.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06464.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06465.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06445.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1996%20FWB/DSC06445.jpg

Funny thing was, i was the 3rd person to look at it, and i looked at it once it was on CL for a week. If you were one of the first two, would you have passed it up?

I drove it home that day. Sold off a set of black wall winter tires they gave me with it for 80 bucks, so i was down to $520, but then had to replace the radiator (sprung a leak) so now im up to about $650 again.

Im taking it up to canada next weekend, for my birthday me and my buddys are going to montreal. This car is a GREAT car. No shimmys, rattles, vibrations, pulsations, pulls. Straight, smoOoooOoth ridding car. By far my best steal, i mean deal. :cool2:

My thoughts on it compared to my 90?

Power Plant drivetrain!
Rides alot smoother and floaty
Better highway cruiser.

Its a nice looking car, but i still love the style and grace of the old 90. Take my 90 body, and drop in on this cars platform, and i got my dream cadillac.

jayoldschool
10-05-08, 08:32 PM
That striped carpet is very rare. You are lucky it is still in good shape!:lildevil:

Car looks smokin' good. Yeah, I'm jealous. Do you like the way it drives? Enjoying the LT1?

You know, the 90 body will bolt right on that frame. So will the 81...

Where's the lighthouse?

deVille33
10-05-08, 09:37 PM
What a deal. You get the steal of a deal award for October.

96Fleetwood
10-05-08, 09:41 PM
Wow.. you are a lucky man... and I thought I got a good deal on my 1991 :worship:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-05-08, 10:10 PM
Damnit, you are one luck SOB. :)

I just bought me a winter beater too. Its a '92 Isuzu with 140,000 miles and its rusty as hell, but the last owner painted over the rust so at least it looks decent. Paid $850 for it. I have 4wd, a 5 speed and mud tires though. The ride makes me really appreciate my caddy.

I love that teal color. I can't believe you got that good a deal.

1990CaddyBrougham
10-05-08, 10:11 PM
That striped carpet is very rare. You are lucky it is still in good shape!:lildevil:

Car looks smokin' good. Yeah, I'm jealous. Do you like the way it drives? Enjoying the LT1?

You know, the 90 body will bolt right on that frame. So will the 81...

Where's the lighthouse?

LOVE THE RIDE... and the way it drives. :cloud9:

Light house is up in York Beach.. Nubble light i belive its called.

Few things i noticed i have to work on.

The first i already asked about, but havent touched yet, the Daytime running lights. I have to get on that soon. I hate them

The GM Cd changer in the trunk is missing the cartridge

The corner lights dont work. I put the specified bulbs in from the owners manual, and checked the fuse. No go. I NEEED these... Goes along with the hate of DRL and love for the parking lights.

Sounds like a very very minor exhaust tick from the manifold area, or very close to the motor. You can only hear it next to a car on the highway where the sound bounces back to you when your window is down.

Headlights, have to replace them. One is cracked across, the other has a stone chip. Both are letting in moisture, even though i filled the cracks with clear glue. My parts car, the exact same defects on both lights. What luck.

Drivers side heated seat does not work. Passenger side does. :( Im heated about this. I may return the car beacsue it wasnt specified before sale. :helpless:

Left rear window doesnt work

Will put a claim in for a new windshield after i come back from canada, this one has to be original. Is covered in tiny chips, and when your driving into the setting sun its horrible. But its the heated/ solar windshild, and i would want the same.

Few chips to touch up.

Aron9000
10-06-08, 01:12 AM
I hate you!!!!!!

I still can't believe the first two people who looked at it passed it up. I could go down to the gas station at the end of my street and put a sign on that for $2500 and have it sold in ten minutes.

The big question is . . .
Does it have any rust????

gfxdave99
10-06-08, 01:17 AM
Nice ride!

urbanski
10-06-08, 06:34 AM
sweet

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 08:39 AM
Damn I'm jealous, such a sweet car for such a small amount of money.

Now, when you raped the family over the price of the car, did you have your way with their daughter also? :p J/K

But yeah, I agree. The 1994-96 may have that uber awesome drivetrain, but it lacks the class and personality of the 1977-92 Body style. An ideal combination would be a 1990-92 D'Elegance with the LT-1.

Red_October_7000
10-06-08, 01:21 PM
You sir, are a bastard. That is an AMAZING car and the price... daaaaammmmmnnnnnnnn......... I wish you best of luck with it!

MaineWater
10-06-08, 02:03 PM
Nice ride, where in MA did you get it?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 02:11 PM
Drivers side heated seat does not work. Passenger side does. :( Im heated about this. I may return the car beacsue it wasnt specified before sale. :helpless:

:bigroll: :bigroll:

jey
10-06-08, 06:08 PM
Funny thing was, i was the 3rd person to look at it, and i looked at it once it was on CL for a week. If you were one of the first two, would you have passed it up?

Definitely a good deal - makes me feel not so bad that my FWB will be doing winter duty this year.

Hard to say if I would have passed it up if it were me - I would have seen 174k miles and never given the ad another glance.

deVille33
10-07-08, 10:01 PM
Damn I'm jealous, such a sweet car for such a small amount of money.

But yeah, I agree. The 1994-96 may have that uber awesome drivetrain, but it lacks the class and personality of the 1977-92 Body style. An ideal combination would be a 1990-92 D'Elegance with the LT-1.

Picky,picky. It's still an ace.

bicentennialcadillac
10-08-08, 12:34 AM
I tip my hat.

brougham_geezer
10-08-08, 12:53 AM
Massive thumbs up my man. Come to Halifax instead so I can look her over. It's like a mini-Montreal with even fewer French. :yup:

i'm KIDDIN'.

But seriously, you're welcome here any time... especially if we can go Cad. hunting and you bring your luck with you! Congrats again.

MT-ED
10-09-08, 09:24 PM
I believe it is quite possible that I hate you.

I am greener than the car.

Seriously though, you are Sir a cad and a bounder and......oh hell!.....I give up......:highfive:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! :bouncy:

You're not Robin Hood are you? This robbing from the rich and giving to the poor thing is something you seem rather good at. The merry men congratulate you.

Martin.

RocketFast321
10-11-08, 06:59 PM
It looks good for it being 174k

joee5
10-11-08, 08:00 PM
I'll give you.... just kidding. What an awesome deal, best of luck with her. God Bless,Joe

93DevilleUSMC
10-11-08, 08:00 PM
Theft!! I congratulate you!

jayoldschool
10-12-08, 12:21 AM
I had the pleasure of seeing this car in person today. Anthony dropped by my place on a little side trip from his birthday/boy's weekend in Montreal. The car is fantastic. No rust. Interior is mint. Leather steering wheel looks brand new. Chrome wheels pop with fresh WWs. Any one of us would snap this car up in a heart beat.

greencadillacmatt
10-13-08, 01:03 PM
Nice ride. Increadibly jealous of your new purchase. I want one that cheap! I've only found beaters (that didn't run) for that price.
You got a steal!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-13-08, 01:49 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing this car in person today. Anthony dropped by my place on a little side trip from his birthday/boy's weekend in Montreal. The car is fantastic. No rust. Interior is mint. Leather steering wheel looks brand new. Chrome wheels pop with fresh WWs. Any one of us would snap this car up in a heart beat.

Now you are just making us feel worse. Here is the winter beater I paid $850 for. I make me appreciate my caddy. It has no power windows or locks, rides like sh*t (its very good for a truck though, but horrible compared to the caddy) but worst of all, no climate control. I loved being able to set it at 72 and have it automatically blow heat when the car got hot enough. I have 4wd though, so at least that makes me feel a little better.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1992%20Rodeo/100_1436.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1992%20Rodeo/100_1438.jpg

96Fleetwood
10-13-08, 02:43 PM
I hope the timing belt was changed on that Rodeo! :eek:

gdwriter
10-14-08, 02:09 AM
I'm sure Rick will pop up soon to extoll the virtues of Isuzu. :stirpot:

But if it keeps your Fleetwood safe and sound during a Chicago winter, then it's probably a good buy.

All I have to worry about in an Oregon winter is the near constant rain. Last year, Cruella went 4+ months without a wash and was quite nasty by the time it finally dried out.

http://www.gdwriter.q45.org/DSC02187.jpg

http://www.gdwriter.q45.org/DSC02235.jpg

Eldo1953
10-14-08, 05:25 PM
Best deal ever!

N0DIH
10-15-08, 09:37 AM
Nice "beater".....

1990CaddyBrougham
10-15-08, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the props.

What a great car.

Last weekend i took it on a 900 mile road trip to Montreal, then up to Jays place in Ontario, then back home to MA. Ran like a top.

No rust! It was a southern car. The only really defect of this car is its miles.

I will give it to my dad when winter is over, it will replace his Lincoln Town Car.

I let my borther drive it,, He loves the ride, and said would be intrested in buying one, and trading up his 95 Town car.

Ohhh that Cadillac Feeling!!

Southern-Hospitality
10-15-08, 11:12 PM
The other two must have been dumb, that looks amazing you're very lucky to get such a clean car for so little.

96Fleetwood
10-16-08, 03:27 PM
I let my borther drive it,, He loves the ride, and said would be intrested in buying one, and trading up his 95 Town car.

Ohhh that Cadillac Feeling!!

I agree 100%. I had a 1993 Town Car Cartier with 28K original miles back in 2004. The Fleetwood is hands down more reliable and a better driving experience... not to mention more modification friendly :cool:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-16-08, 05:03 PM
All I have to worry about in an Oregon winter is the near constant rain. Last year, Cruella went 4+ months without a wash and was quite nasty by the time it finally dried out.

Nobody in my family ever gets their car washed during the winter. We give them one hell of a wax right around now and then let it be. Washing it is actually worse because it lets the salt residue get into the tiny imperfections in the paint and cause rust. Also, the water can freeze in those imperfections and do the exact same thing.