: 79 Coupe questions

kentuckygent
10-05-08, 09:29 AM
I recently bought a 1979 Coupe De Ville and have began work on restoring him. I have a few questions?
1. Air conditioner, I know I will need to change the air over to the "new" freon, what all has to be replaced and can I use used parts? What years will work.
2.Brakes, I am planning on redoing the brakes, lines, calipers and rotors. Is there anything I should watch for and should the hard lines be replaced too?
3. I am in need of some interior trim, the plastic that goes around doors, seatbelt bolt downs, rear window and headliner. Basically all of it, doesn't matter what color as I plan to have it powder coated.
Thanks, Steve.

jayoldschool
10-05-08, 12:21 PM
1. Air conditioner, I know I will need to change the air over to the "new" freon, what all has to be replaced and can I use used parts? What years will work

Assuming your compressor is ok, to convert to 134a, you need to replace the accumulator (the big silver can on the firewall on the passenger side, flush the system, fill with 134a and the correct oil. The oil used with R12 isn't compatible with 134a. Alternatively, you could keep what you have, and fill with an R12 replacement like Freeze 12. You can buy and fill the replacements yourself, but you will need a license (or a friend with one) to buy 134a. If you can find someone to fill with R12, do that. There are plenty of garages out there that still have some.

2.Brakes, I am planning on redoing the brakes, lines, calipers and rotors. Is there anything I should watch for and should the hard lines be replaced too?

Hard lines: don't replace unless rusty or leaking. Calipers don't need replacing unless the piston is stuck or leaking. They are very cheap if you do need to replace them. Just service the sliders to make sure they are moving free. Do new pads and rotors (dirt cheap). A good idea to do the flex hoses, but they really only have to be done if they are cracked. Just grab one of the fronts when you have a caliper off, and bend it back to see if it is cracked.

3. I am in need of some interior trim, the plastic that goes around doors, seatbelt bolt downs, rear window and headliner. Basically all of it, doesn't matter what color as I plan to have it powder coated.

I believe the door trim will interchange with any 77-85 RWD coupe. Headliner as well (must come from a coupe). However, you can just recover the headliner you have if the board is still there. Let me know if you need to know how to recover it (I have posted the info and pics on here before). The other trim can come from any 77-92. Usually trim needs to be metal to be powder coated (it is an electrostatic charge process that relies on conductivity). There is a new process that puts a conductive coating on parts, but to finish powder coating, the part needs to get baked in an oven. Not so good for plastic parts. You can change the color of plastic parts very nicely with a spray dye called SEM. Keep an eye on my big thread on my 81 coupe, I'll be doing an armest colour change soon and will detail the procedure.

Thanks, Steve

You're welcome!
Jason.