: Front Clip Removal 92 fwb

gfxdave99
10-05-08, 01:15 AM
Its not in the guide i have on how to remove it, does anybody have any step by steps? Googling has been no good. :(

jayoldschool
10-05-08, 12:39 PM
Anthony (1990CaddyBrougham) will be able to tell you exactly what to do, but here's a start... (pretty sure I will forget stuff)...

Take the hood off. Take the front bumper off. Remove the fender to body bolts inside the doors. Remove the fender to core support bolts. Remove the inner fender bolts. Disconnect the headlight wiring harness.

That's all I can think of...

My_favorite_Brougham
10-05-08, 02:02 PM
ACTUALLY.....

You can remove it as one. Anthony said that it's much easier to remove the front clip as a whole: hood, fenders, everything at once. You just need a few jacks. Ehh, I just let his post do the talking...

What a productive day. She aint a virgin anymore. Not much of a 81 Cadillac either.
Started at 9am.. Task, take that nose off, in one piece. By 11am It was off. Didnt take long at all. Whole clip care right off. Its much easier then taking it apart fender by fender. After that i took off the rear bumper/ tail lights. The right side filler is crubling, while the other side is nice and soft. The one under the plate was also cracking. So im going to nab me a filler for the right side off the burgandy 90. And take the plate panel off the 85 Coupe, because that has the locking gas cap, which i midas well add while in there!! I have my rust free bumper off my florida parts car from long ago (the one that rolled off the Uhaul ramps gettin a hitch put on, and rolled out the door into a uhaul truck. Surprisingly stuffing the nose) Nice 90 tail lights, harness and lenses. All ready to go on after i grab them fillers.
Later in the afternoon i picked the nose victim, the 90 blue delegance wiht 77k on it. Put her up on the trailer, and hauled her 1/4 mile down the road to my dads company, and took that nose off. This time took a bit longer, i didnt have air tools. Well a air supply that is. Still got it off, all in one clip. And here I am.

Tomorrow im going to put the tranny in. The exhaust was GONE on this car. However i noticed that the 85 coupe, the 90 brougham that i robbed the nose from, and the black 92 all have BRAND NEW exhaust... So it looks like i got exhaust, and then some. What a waste. Anyone need a full exhaust sytem?? lol. Before i put my nose on im goint to clean up and detail the engine bay, maby some minor painting. The select few bolts that were blue, stil show it. I may re do them just for kicks. So it looks like my nose wont go on till another time. Rather take my time, and get that motor cleaned up while i have the perfect opurtunity. along with belts and a few other odds and ends that are easy to service whith no nose.
Here are some pics for some of your enjoyment, others, horror. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/81%20Fleetwood%20Brougham%20Coupe/DSC05686.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/81%20Fleetwood%20Brougham%20Coupe/DSC05688.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/81%20Fleetwood%20Brougham%20Coupe/DSC05689.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/81%20Fleetwood%20Brougham%20Coupe/DSC05690.jpg

Remember I did this by myself.
Ahh good times...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/81%20Fleetwood%20Brougham%20Coupe/DSC05692.jpg

Victim # 2 of the day
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/81%20Fleetwood%20Brougham%20Coupe/DSC05693.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/81%20Fleetwood%20Brougham%20Coupe/DSC05695.jpg

Well tomorrow will bring more!

To answer the above, my fav, the 4-6-8 was already dis-connected, Im assuming because the tranny was already changed, but was a used tranny that was junk. So it was probably working, but then disconencted and never hooked back up after.

Jay, id love to do a 5.7. But i dont want it to turn into a basket case. Thats alot of work. I have the facilitys and tools, but i dont think i want to tackle it. The 6.0 will be find for now. If anything happens to it a 425 or so forth would work well.. :) Plus my one elderly lady owner, 90 brougham with the 5.7 has frame rot. Too bad.

gfxdave99
10-05-08, 05:30 PM
Whoa thanks.. heh i have quite a little project then next weekend.

My_favorite_Brougham
10-05-08, 05:45 PM
Whoa thanks.. heh i have quite a little project then next weekend.

What are you doing? Replacing what the vandals/thieves messed up?

Best

gfxdave99
10-05-08, 05:50 PM
Also maybe is there a better way to do what i need to do then take the whole clip off? Basically im replacing the cracked (from someone trying to take the bumper) bezels around the headlights. The bottom of them are secured by screws that come up through the bottom of the top clip part and the only way i can think to get to them is by taking the clip off? Unless perhaps i can just take the bumper off and get up underneath that way?

My_favorite_Brougham
10-05-08, 05:51 PM
Oh here's another post:

Can you provide any insight into pulling the front clip? I was gonna pull the fenders and such individually from my '84 Fleetwood Coupe, but this looks much easier.

Thanks

Its MUCH easier to do it in one piece. Most of the time is for the little shit.. Def easier if your stuffin a new heart in it!.

Basically comes down to this. You have your front bumper.... the 8 bolts and each side support. Then while your under there the 2 frame mounts. 2 big ass bolts on the rad suppot that have rubber bushings that actually hold the support to the frame. All the under hood bars that brace to the fenders. Then the plate over the radiatior and condenser.... You can either take out or leave them both in. I left em in. There are 4 bolts that hold the 2 braces that run along each side of the motor, these are to each side of the rad and condenser... Also 2 more midway down these rails. Then your few bolts at the rear of the fenders. Going to want to take your rockers off for safty. Then unplug your wireing harness.... any grounds ect... And its basiaclly un bolted. everythign stays together, hood, fenders, header with all the lights and trim... LMK if you have any ???'s

Good luck!

brougham
10-05-08, 06:29 PM
Just start taking parts off until you get to it. If you need to take the whole nose off its going to be easier to just take it off then taking it off with the fenders and everything else.

1990CaddyBrougham
10-05-08, 07:51 PM
Your just looking to replace/swap out the healdight bezels??

No need to take nose off the car at all.

Or are you replacing the header panel?

gfxdave99
10-06-08, 01:14 AM
Your just looking to replace/swap out the healdight bezels??

No need to take nose off the car at all.

Or are you replacing the header panel?

Just the bezels but as you can see unless im missing something theres the screws on top that you can get to by taking the trim piece off the back of the clip under the hood but the ones on the bottom screw from the bottom up?

I have added pics to illustrate

1990CaddyBrougham
10-06-08, 10:38 PM
Yes, The top are speed nuts, should be arond a 11 or 12 mm, 4 on the front and one on the side.

Bottom are screws, 7mm i belive. That you access from under the car. NO NEED TO TAKE any front end parts off.they screw up from the fillers (pieces that fit the header to the bumper) threw the bezels, threw the header.

gfxdave99
10-06-08, 10:51 PM
Yes, The top are speed nuts, should be arond a 11 or 12 mm, 4 on the front and one on the side.

Bottom are screws, 7mm i belive. That you access from under the car. NO NEED TO TAKE any front end parts off.they screw up from the fillers (pieces that fit the header to the bumper) threw the bezels, threw the header.

So you think if i put it up on ramps i could get up to those screws underneath then?

1990CaddyBrougham
10-06-08, 10:58 PM
Probably dont even need ramps to be honest. But wouldnt hurt.